FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are Macs immune to spyware, etc..?

markrc99
hi everyone...my girlfriend has a Mac ibook laptop and when we access the disk utility program it says that on the hard drive are over 93,000 folders and over 350,000 files. Is this unusual or does the Panther OS consist of such a huge volume of code? We know that she hasn't created or saved anywhere near that number of either. Do Macs clean up unwanted files themselves, doesn't seem so because nearly half the disk is used up?We're really at a loss with respect to maintenance, particularly pertaining to exposure to the internet. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Markrc99
Xeniczone
Mac OS X 10.4 took 15gigs of my hard drive and first install. It does take a lot of space because of all the software that comes with it. Stick the install disk in then you can select if you want to install stuff like iLife so you don't have to waste space.

I don't know about Panther because I have never used it I went from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.4.

Other then that I don't think I understand your questions. You right is it Spyware in the title then you talk about something different.
jamessweeney
Hi,
With regard to the number of folders/files on your hard drive that figure does seem very high but it does depend on what software you have installed. Look in your applications directory and delete any apps you dont use.
To answer your question regarding spyware, the Macintosh is vulnerable to spyware/malware etc. However since Macs only account for about 5% of all computer users, the creators of these malicious programs target Windows users instead as their market share is over 90%. It is also more difficult to write malware for the Mac then for Windows as Macs are based on UNIX which is more secure than Windows.
orcaz
Macs are exposed to viruses according to some articles I read about, but not realli sure about spyware.
ocalhoun
All computers with CPU's are vulnerable to viruses; but the viruses have to be written in assembly language. These viruses, however, are rare.
Why spend 10 hours making a virus for macs, when you can spend 2 hours making a virus for windows?
Saber
heres a simple database of all the mac virus(up to 2005, Im assuming that the person working on that site stoped working on it.) that have been out there, http://www.macvirus.org/database
You can click on more info to see what they really did.
{name here}
Every computer is vulnerable to attack - the programmer always has a unintentional loophole that can be exploited, which ends up being patched and at times causing other loopholes to be found.

Currently Macs have no real threats. Why? Because there's nobody with the time to care to find a loophole in a Unix operating system with not even 10% of the market share. Why exploit an OS that won't be able to spread the infection very far and is difficult to bypass when there's a perfectly good OS that is riddled with holes and has more market share? A viri programmer would have to be absolutely daft to exploit a mac at its current condition(eventually it WILL become worth it).
Runescaper
Personally, I feel Windows is safer
Cole
Despite the "Unix is more secure" info going on here, the fact is many vulnerabilites have been found in the Mac OS since about 2004 and that number seems to be growing every year.

(Below doesn't 100% include x86 Macs)
Although I would agree on this: The Windows OS works for a much larger percentage of hardware, it has to. Mac's are built for OS specific set of hardware that Mac designs. If you know the hardware it is easier to built security.

Although still...why would you write a virus for mac? When you can hit a much bigger portion of the market with a PC virus.
fadirocks
Biggest Advantage of current Mac OS X and Linux is requiring the root (admin) access to install many things (last time i checked) & biggest mistake of MS was to give admin access to default user

I mean the biggest security hole in any system is the user! If the user has no idea what's going on then bye bye system it's infected & making things too easy in MS Windows to install things made it easier for Spyware, trojans & whatever you think of to have access to system

Is there spyware for mac? umm yes but hard to get & MS activeX is an easier prey & More profitable to infect
Would I concern myself getting spywares for a mac a run? --> NOPE
Arno v. Lumig
Runescaper wrote:

If you're cool enough to post that, are you also cool enough to explain why?
Cole
Quote:
If you're cool enough to post that, are you also cool enough to explain why?

While I wouldn't agree with him that Windows feels safer, I would agree that Windows feels save. I let the Windows Firewall run and Windows Defender...thats about it. I know my computer inside and out, I know everything that suppose to run. What was the last virus to hit me? I believe it was that old blaster virus that was before Sp2 even came out.

From my experience Windows feels safe, however...I wouldn't say it feels as safe as another OS simply because I know they arn't targeted nearly as much by spyware and viruses.
hrtorrent
Runescaper wrote:

Shocked

Please tell me that is a spelling error that you wrote???
{name here}
Cole wrote:
Despite the "Unix is more secure" info going on here, the fact is many vulnerabilites have been found in the Mac OS since about 2004 and that number seems to be growing every year.

(Below doesn't 100% include x86 Macs)
Although I would agree on this: The Windows OS works for a much larger percentage of hardware, it has to. Mac's are built for OS specific set of hardware that Mac designs. If you know the hardware it is easier to built security.

Although still...why would you write a virus for mac? When you can hit a much bigger portion of the market with a PC virus.

Actually they're not. Mac OS X would work on PCs if Apple didn't use DRM to force users to buy a mac to use it.
Cole
Quote:
Actually they're not. Mac OS X would work on PCs if Apple didn't use DRM to force users to buy a mac to use it.

[X86 Intel Mac not included below]
You sure? I'm pretty sure PowerPC processors are not X86 compatible. Mac uses Power PC processors not X86 processors.

Apple forces there hardware to be used. Thus they do not have to write Mac Os X to work on thousands of different hardware combinations. They could, but it would be dumb and idiotic.
{name here}
Cole wrote:
Quote:

[X86 Intel Mac not included below]
You sure? I'm pretty sure PowerPC processors are not X86 compatible. Mac uses Power PC processors not X86 processors.

Apple forces there hardware to be used. Thus they do not have to write Mac Os X to work on thousands of different hardware combinations. They could, but it would be dumb and idiotic.

Keep in mind that they've basically switched completely from PowerPC to x86 - the PowerMac has been replaced with the Mac Pro after the WWDC, and the iMac as well as the Mac Mini are now only offered with an intel chip, so your little theory of PowerPC goes down the tubes.

As for the drivers they are of course going to offer more than one chipset of drivers because believe it or not there are users who do upgrade their Mac hardware. Of course you may have some problems here and there since there are some lobotomized Windows hardware on the market - particularly printers and modems.
Jeza
Considering the small ratio of Mac:Windows Users, the people looking to exploit people will be aiming for the bigger fish, though I doubt it is infallible.
Xeniczone
Macintoshes don't really have virus problems. Though they do exist in small numbers. Macintosh doesn't have a regestry that controls the entire computer and can be edited even by a limited user. Macintosh also doesn't have a Admin account created on installation with no password. Even if you set up your account you will find out that in safe mode that a admin account is created and has no password just a thing microsoft did to invite every Person possible to your computer for hacking Very Happy

All the viruses on that macvirus.org site are all for Mac OS Classic. They do not affect Mac OS X.

Right now I don't think OS X has any viruses in wide destribution. Their was 2 or so found for Mac OS X but they don't work any more because Apple switch to x86, and they were made before universal apps where so they are not universal.
vandetta
Are Macs are immune to spyware? I would say YES!

Why? Because in Mac OS, only Admin can approve to install anything, and with FileVault, there is no way you can hack Admin's Account. In Windows, you still can hack Admin's Account even you're not Admin, I saw the demo in School dude, Sorry no video to show Sad

And since I use Mac 4 years ago, I never ever been affected by Viruses or Spyware.. In Windows? I know how to protect my PC, but yes, there is still adware installed!

BTW, I think, wether it's immunine or not, it depends on user if you always download from pirated sites, of course there will be viruses / adware / spyware came in Smile
ammonkc
OS X is UNIX! it is taking advantage of a very powerful file system with a very robust file permissions system. only administrators can install spyware or other malicious code on the system. and it is not necessary at all to run as administrator for most uses in os x. in windows, you are kinda forced to login as administrator because anything else is way to crippled.
Aside from that, malicious code that targets macs are almost non-existent. Apple doesn't have the market share to get the attention of virus writers and hakers.
I've never run anti-virus or anti-spyware software ever on my macs and I've never once been affected let alone heard of anyone else being affected by these kinds of things.