FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about WGA

KHO
Is it still in the automanic windows updates? I havent noticed it on any of my new computers, but they could have just changed the name.

I ask not because I have illegitament liscenses, but because it is spyware plain and simple.
sush
Windows Genuine Advantage.

It is still a part of most windows updates and several critical updates require WGA validation before being applied.

Why in the world did you get the feeling WGA is spyware?
orcaz
WGA seems to be a mandatory component in MS products for Windows nowadays, like IE 7, Windows Media 11 & MS Update
KHO
I claim its spyware because it is. It intrudes into your system when you didnt want to download it, and sends confidentail information about you to Microsoft servers. Thats why.
Traveller
KHO wrote:
I claim its spyware because it is. It intrudes into your system when you didnt want to download it, and sends confidentail information about you to Microsoft servers. Thats why.
For that matter, one could equally consider Windows, itself, to be a virus: it takes over and slows down your whole system, does things that you otherwise would never want to do. Wink

It reminds me of an old quote about another operating system:
Quote:
OS2 is like AIDS: they say lots of people have it, but you don't know anyone who has it, and you know, sure as heck, that you don't want to get it!
KHO
Traveller wrote:
KHO wrote:
For that matter, one could equally consider Windows, itself, to be a virus: it takes over and slows down your whole system, does things that you otherwise would never want to do. Wink

Quote:
OS2 is like AIDS: they say lots of people have it, but you don't know anyone who has it, and you know, sure as heck, that you don't want to get it!
lol, that is in fact true, Ive many times referenced windows as an Alpha, but never thought of its virus capabilities. Or that it is in itself a backdoor and trojan downloader lol.

But yes, I simply do not want WGA on my computer, I have gone through my security updates manually, and have not found it yet, and I also scan for it regularly (yes, I have a tool that does detect and REMOVE WGA, its sole purpose is this).
{name here}
Traveller wrote:

Quote:

OS/2 is actually quite a good OS. Unfortunately IBM drove the project into the ground.

As for WGA - it's spyware, and a small waste of space and system resources.
orcaz
Though I don't exactly know how the WGA program works, but it is getting irritating. Every new upgrade Microsoft releases nowadays requires validation, and you don't really noe what is happening, what data is being retrieved frm your hard disk when you click the Validate button.
KHO
{name here} wrote:

Thank you, yes. And thus, Microsoft takes one step closer to making the same fatal mistake that Sony made. They should just trust their users, what MS doesnt make enough money already???? They want more???

Honestly, MS wants their money more than they care about actually releasing a good OS, more than they care about even helping the people who do have a legitament copy.
{name here}
KHO wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Thank you, yes. And thus, Microsoft takes one step closer to making the same fatal mistake that Sony made. They should just trust their users, what MS doesnt make enough money already???? They want more???

Honestly, MS wants their money more than they care about actually releasing a good OS, more than they care about even helping the people who do have a legitament copy.

Macs and Unix systems are getting more popular - thier empire is crumbling. Microsoft is dropping little by little, and they need a way to preserve their profit.
KHO
{name here} wrote:
KHO wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Macs and Unix systems are getting more popular - thier empire is crumbling. Microsoft is dropping little by little, and they need a way to preserve their profit.
True, for even as we speak I am converting one of my machines over to a UNIX based OS. And I have a MAC OS X on the way, the only reason I will keep even 1 windows is so I can stay fresh on the problems it gets lol. So essentially, I keep the windows machine to make life a little harder on myself.

But seriously, I had a Debian machine that ran fine for about 6 months before i absolutely needed windows again, and then it lasts about 2 before I need a re-install (yes, only 2 months).
KHO
lol, My firewall is denying access to the internet for WGA on another one of my computers. Inbound and out. Guess its not too effective after all.