FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Neverwinter Nights 2





TonkPilz
Neverwinter Nights 2 is out!!

i got the game last night and started playing and so far i have gotten to Neverwinter and is helping the city watch to escort some informant to a safe house. It pains me to say that the 1st game SO far is a bit better than this one but I'm still early in to the game so hopefully it will get better.

Its still a really good game thought and i recommend any one to try it ONE's and i bet that whit the tool set their will be lots and lots of stuff coming from fans soon Very Happy

http://www.atari.com/nwn2/
Antek88
nwn1 is nice game. in 2 i don't play Sad Will be demo?
Victus13
NWN2 is quite nice. I got my Pre-order on the 3rd.

The graphics look stunning, and the gameplay.. oooh and the Spell effects. Alot of the changes are nice, though I cannot experience them fully for my computer is a load of junk, but it works.

I do prefer NWN1 still myself in some resepects. Though I cannot deny that NWN2 sure looks nice.

The only big issue, and one rather funny issue I had with NWN2 have been The Camera angles. I just dont like how they did them, it seemed rather jumpy.

I turned the graphics down to a low setting, and I was having Terrible performance.. when I turned it up.. things started working better. I thought it rather odd.

Either way, the game has been good so far, I cant wait to see what it has in store ^^
Saryon
My computer can't run it, or not porperly at least. I regret this seriously, since I've played Neverwinter Nights 1, and really enjoyed it.

If NWN 2 is anything like NWN 1, it just has to be good. Although it's probably the same like all other sequences. Better graphics, but a less good story.
Which is regrettable.

But if my computer could run it properly, I certainly would have bought it.
TonkPilz
i just got to the 2nd act and now every ting starts to come up to nwn1s passe
and im loving it 100% this is bulding up to be a superb 2nd titel of nwn1

Quote:
The only big issue, and one rather funny issue I had with NWN2 have been The Camera angles. I just don't like how they did them, it seemed rather jumpy.


cant say im having that problem but landscapes are allot smaller compared to nwn 1 and the walls inside buildings doesn't transparent like thy did in nwn1 when the camera got close to them thats about the biggest problem i have. You Kan change the camera properties whit "*" on you num-pad.

Oh thers one ting that iritates the #%" out of me thay are useunf the same sounds that thay hade in the 1st nwn game but i guess thats a blessing too...
Fire Boar
I'm getting it for my birthday. November 17th and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

NWN1 = Perfection (eventually; after 69 patches)
NWN2 = ??? (hopefully good)

But I'm concerned as to the multiplayer on NWN2. 60MB areas? (That's what I heard anyway) Ouch. And what about an underdark? The game system seems as though it won't support one! NOOOO! I LOVE PLAYING DROW! HOW CAN I WHEN THERE IS NO HOME TO GO TO???

I hope my fears are not justified.
Alienz
I have played the 1st Neverwinter Nights and going to get the 2nd soon. Hope it don't run out-of-stock Confused
Victus13
Hmm, maybe that's why I think it's clunky. The walls dont dissapear.

From what I've experianced so far the storyline, and voice acting for NPCs is really well done. I'm not amazingly far into the storyline, but it's been great so far.

and I cant get over how when you use an Enlarge spell, the model actually gets BIG.

It's so crazy. Shocked
moonblade
To be honest, I'm not quite sure about NWN2. So far, many people that I know and whose opinions I usually agree with have stated that NWN2 is rather sloppy, and, honestly, when you mix Atari and Obsidian, I would be more surprised if they do get a good game out, especially seeing as they used the fanboy trick by exploiting the name of the original. Ah well, still waiting for the review.

Rather a disappointing year for RPGs if NWN2 fails too, though - Oblivion and Gothic 3 already left a bitter aftertaste (though at least the latter might be fixed with patches).

Can anyone tell a bit more about the new Neverwinter? What's it like, game mechanics, dialogues, combat system, rep, consequences for actions? And graphics, of course. From what I can see on screenshots, I'm not very impressed - and a friend that bought it says that it looks terrifically ugly even on her rather decent card.
TonkPilz
Quote:
Can anyone tell a bit more about the new Neverwinter? What's it like, game mechanics, dialogues, combat system, rep, consequences for actions? And graphics, of course. From what I can see on screen shots, I'm not very impressed - and a friend that bought it says that it looks terrifically ugly even on her rather decent card.


I give u what i think so far about the games

ups and downs:


ups:
i think the graphics are good especially for an rpg that was meant to be played whit a top down camera not the best but definitely good.

its updated to follow D&D 3.5 rules

the dialog is extremely good apart from a few voice actors in the vary beginning of the game

the game mechanics are basically the same as the 1st game whit a few new editions and a few good "special event" in the story line

replay ability is extremely high whit allot of classes and races plus the mix class capability

i like the fact that what ever you do it will be reflected on later in the game depending on your choices earlier ppl in the game will help you or not etc

a fast travel map that is used every time u leave a city or other area
this is good and bad it makes the game a bit more flexible but makes a few abrupt stops in the game play






downs:

updated to d&d 3.5 rules

in game sound or action sound is the same as in the 1st game

maps are a bit smaller

most ppl don't like the camera angels but in my experience that seams to mostly wow players ( no offense) that are used to the chase camera. not that i have any problems whit it

quest log gets unorganised quickly
datter
NWN2 seems more like a slightly prettied up copy of the original.. it's just more of the same. Hell some of the audio clips are re-used so it even sounds the same.
Jeza
I'm looking forward to buying this one, because I thouroughly enjoyed the first even though sometimes I felt I didn't have the stomach to keep on going through all those hours Razz
TonkPilz
datter wrote:
NWN2 seems more like a slightly prettied up copy of the original.. it's just more of the same. Hell some of the audio clips are re-used so it even sounds the same.


the same sound is used yes but its far from a "copy of the original..". There is alot of new events in the game plus it should have something similar to the original game sens its based in the same "world" as nwn1 so similarity's are ofc to be expected Rolling Eyes.

But i agree all new sounds wouldn't hurt a bit

my guess is that this will be the last full game of nwn i hope their will be allot of expansions Very Happy

BG
ice wind dale (or how ever its spelled)
and nwn have all bean good games whit ties to one and other especially IWD and NWN

I'm looking forward to see what thy will come up whit next
TonkPilz
[quote="TonkPilz"]
datter wrote:
NWN2 seems more like a slightly prettied up copy of the original.. it's just more of the same. Hell some of the audio clips are re-used so it even sounds the same.


the same sound is used yes but its far from a "copy of the original..". There is alot of new events in the game plus it should have something similar to the original game sens its based in the same "world" as nwn1 so similarity's are ofc to be expected Rolling Eyes.

But i agree all new sounds wouldn't hurt a bit

my guess is that this will be the last full game of nwn i hope their will be allot of expansions Very Happy

BG
ice wind dale (or how ever its spelled)
and nwn have all bean good games whit ties to one and other especially IWD and NWN

I'm looking forward to see what thy will come up whit next

Antek88 wrote:
nwn1 is nice game. in 2 i don't play Sad Will be demo?


No dont tink ther will be but i can be wrong
pokethamage
can anybody tell me what makes this game (or this series) so good? others said morrowind was good and i thought it sucked.
TonkPilz
pokethamage wrote:
can anybody tell me what makes this game (or this series) so good? others said morrowind was good and i thought it sucked.

i hate thes quastions try it no one can tell you what you like
Osprey
Has anyone tried using the builder yet? I'm wondering if it is much improved over the old version. One of the things I liked most about NWN1 was that you could make your own content and DM games with it.
TonkPilz
Osprey wrote:
Has anyone tried using the builder yet? I'm wondering if it is much improved over the old version. One of the things I liked most about NWN1 was that you could make your own content and DM games with it.


i like the new toolset alot infact it rules!!

but its a bit diffrent than the 1st one so to follow a smal tut is recommended
7Pound7
So far NWN 1 couldn't hold my attention, same with morrowind: an impressive boring game.
I still want to give neverwinternights 1 a change, it looked pretty awesome in first instance...

7Pound7
SilverDawn
Well, I've now played NWN2 enough to post my opinion of it... First of all, I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised, considering the unholy Atari/Obsidian union - they actually managed to make the game interesting enough to play. However, there's a ton of "buts".

First of all, NWN2 is a bit like the reverse of Oblivion - in my opinion, Oblivion had next to nothing to do in it, however, it gave a whole lot of ways of doing nothing and actually forgetting that it is empty... Now, Neverwinter... Neverwinter has tons of content. However, the way it offers it is so horrible, I thought I'd uninstall it before the tutorial ends, at first. Why? Well, let's see.

1) Horrible, horrible engine. No, I don't mean that Aurora is bad. I mean that its 4th incarnation is. It's like putting 3 inches of make-up on a zombie. Not only is it still a zombie, it's also going to move even more slowly, and that's exactly what NWN2 engine is about. Being slow and, well, ugly. Unless you have top-of-the-line computer, I suppose.

2) Interface that makes me wonder, whether designers were blind, crooked and beat on the head with a spoon. After the original's brilliant interface, this is a joke.

3) Recycled sounds, voice packs and music. Come, now, a little more original content would have been affordable?

4) Dialogues are a little too independant on diplomacy, intimidate and bluff. After BG2, Torment and NWN: HotU, as well as KotOR, that's just a wee bit ridiculous.


However, I'm still playing. Why? Well, let's see.

1) The plot. It's actually following the idea of Baldur's Gate, in other words, it doesn't give you any idea what's actually going on, which makes the player (maybe) try and find out what's it all about.

2) The party. The characters are -very- well designed. Of course, more work on dialogue lines would have been welcome, however, the influence system is excellent, and the party banter is sometimes just too amusing.

3) The side quests. They're good! Alignment system, party banters, backstory, main plot additions, the quests are really quite great. And luckily, so far, there's been very few "mailman" tasks - however, "go kill nasty creatures" is still there.


In any case, it's yet to be seen how good NWN2 is, once mod-makers start making their own content, however, at the moment, it's a proper CRPG with a good few flaws, certainly not up to par with its predecessor (though beating it with the plot), yet, still good.


All said above is, naturally, my very humble opinion.
TonkPilz
i kinda agree on the dialog part and on the same time i don't coz before i found the diplomacy, intimidate and bluff skills useless but now u actually have use for it more than just a few times and remember that what you say in the beginning of the game can actually determents what happens in mid game

but i agree its used a bit to much
SilverDawn
Well, I actually meant that it's used appalingly little... It does have some nice uses, and I certainly am happy to be a Paladin as I can use Charisma bonus and full points in Diplomacy, however, well... It's not that rewarding. For example, you can talk to a bunch of lizards into solving things peacefully (really early in the game, in fact), and get something like 150XP, I think... Or, you can kill the lizards, get way more XP and their loot... Which is a bit stupid. I don't mean to say that there should be dozens of different ways to play the game and branch things out a thousand times, but Persuade skills are often left to a bit of an unrewarding state, unless we go for "Virtue is its own reward" idea.

Another thing I think should be fixed is Elanee dialogues, as they have the old and useless things there together with the new and "important" dialogues - like the "What do you know about Lizardmen?" bit. In Chapter 2, asking about them is probably already - and still - pointless.


By the way, if it won't trouble you, could you send me a PM with an example of an early choice making impact on later game? I probably took one, but didn't even realise the consequences, and would love to know that bit.
TonkPilz
i really don't whant to spoil any ting but to solv the problem whit the lizaeds early in the game is a good ting later
snowboardude
I never played Neverwinter Nights 1 (or 2 for that matter), but i think i'm going to get #2.

Okay, heres my question:
Is it, or is it not based on D&D?
SilverDawn
TonkPilz wrote:
i really don't whant to spoil any ting but to solv the problem whit the lizaeds early in the game is a good ting later



Ah, of course, thank you. I was thinking it had something to do with them, too!



And yes, NWN2 is based on D&D 3.5 edition. There's around 1600 feats in total in the game, as well, which is actually a rather scary number. Of course, the game hides those you're not eligible for, so it's all rather manageable.

Still, have to warn you - if your PC isn't high-endish, you should prepare for some graphics lag. Unfortunately.
Fire Boar
I am a builder. A module builder. On NWN1, that is. My team was getting really pepped up about making a module on NWN2; in fact they abandoned the NWN1 project entirely.

I left.

Why? Because after making my first area on the toolset, I realised that I'd wasted 6 hours and hadn't had any fun out of it at all.

The toolset is not easy to use, it is not user-friendly at all. It is a tool that you might use to make a really professional module, but that would take several hundred hours.

So I quit. Hopefully I can find someplace else to make NWN1 modules with. But NWN2 is a no-no for me. If I don't enjoy what I do, and I am volunteering, I don't do it.

The single player is good though, IMO.
Digital Thoth
I loved the first one, and I loved BG 1 & 2, but to be honest, I never even contemplated getting the second one. It may be because I haven't finished the first one yet, but there you have it.


Don't get me wrong, it's good to see so many people stating their opinion, but it kinda makes me feel behind the times. Crying or Very sad
7Pound7
wow about what i read so far i can conclude that i don't need to spend money on nwn 2 for the coming couple of years. maybe when it comes available for a cheap $15 i will be tempted to buy it...
prym3r
I spent years w8ting for this.... omg im so disapoiting.. the gameplay the boring story, the graphics... Crap! Sad
Related topics
Favourite game? (OFFICIAL THREAD)
Gry przez siec
What games are you playing?
Any appreciaters of the RPG genre?
Looking for a Good Action Game!
ATI X1800
RPG Games
What will u do first if u get a new game ?
Windows XP the best?
Neverwinter Nights & Elderscrolls 3 Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights Module Scripter and Modelers
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2 hardware Requirements?
Neverwinter - F2P MMO
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.