FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firebox and acrobat reader

akshar
I am using firefox and whenever i click on any link to a pdf file the whole thing gets stuck up for some 10minutes and then the Acrobat loads within my browsers document if I switch between two windows again the whole episode repeats. I want to uninstall acrobat plugin for my browser.
Is it possible?
if yes how?
myrevolt
Yea Acrobat is crap and all software made by Adobe constantly updates itself; annoying. Use Add/Remove Programs uninstall Acrobat Reader. Now download Foxit Reader, although it does not have a browser plugin that opens PDFs in the browser, it is extremely fast. You could also get rid of optional plugins that Acrobat loads with instructions here
sush
That is the most common thing on earth, Acrobat getting stuck in browsers.

In Acrobat's preferences you can find an option that says "Display PDFs in browser". Uncheck it.

Also in Firefox's options there is a dialog under which you can configure actions for various filetypes other than webpages. Find 'PDF' in the list and choose the 'Save directly' option and not the 'Open with Acrobat' option.
DaComboMan
You can also install this extension for more options.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/
orcaz
I have the same problem too. Everytime I load a PDF document from Firefox browser, when I close the browser, the Acrobat process is not terminated. I nid to manually terminate it through task manager.
Xcelerate
Same problem here. I find it very annoying that everytime I click on a link it suddenly starts to load a PDF (or a Word document) and then freezes, disabling me from accessing any other tabs. Of course, I've found it effective to simply go into task manager and end the AcroRd32.exe process, then I simply get a blank tab in Firefox, so it doesn't crash everything.

I believe there are some plug-ins specifically for Firefox that load PDFs very quickly, of course I've been too lazy to download any.
akshar
when all of us agree that is sux y the firefox ppl are keen on keeping it?
myworld
Firefox support it because it is a default standard in saving documents over the internet and not to support it would only give rivals a stick with which to beat them. the fact that it sticks sometimes isn't as important as the fact that it exists in the first place. if crashed everytime then they probably would however for me I find it really only seems to stall on larger file and if that happens I simply right click on the link and save to desktop then open it with acrobat reader. not and ideal solution but hey you have to make the most of the situation and it could be worse you could be internet explorer Wink then just doing anything could be a problem.