FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Network Problems

Eyre
hey guys, i'm running a wireless network at home, with 3 computer connected to the router. They are not on all the time, but when they are on, my internet shuts of sometimes. It won't let me go anywhere on the net, but i can still connect to instant messaging programs, online games, or other online programs. My solution is to unconnect the router, wait a few minutes, reconnect it, then use the repair function from my PC. This always works, but only to shut off again another 10-15 minutes later. I can't figure out whats wrong or how to fix it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. I scanned all 3 computers for virus's and spyware. The programs i used had up to date virus definitions, and i used two different programs for both categories.
myrevolt
There are a few things this could be, your modem may be overheating; I have to disconnect mine every night so that doesn't occur. How you can connect to an IM client but not browse the web is odd indeed; it could be that the clients think they are connected when infact they are not, or it could be a problem with your web browser not seeing the connection. It could be Windows not recognizing your wireless network properly.

*thinks*

Wait you know, this actually reminds me of a situation with one of my friends, he had one computer directly connected to the router and a desktop in the other room with a wireless card, and lastly a laptop with a wireless card; and the laptop would connect for a few minutes and then would not be able to reconnect until the router was reset. I'm not sure how his problem was solved but I have a feeling it maybe a conflict with windows if "repair connection" works.

I would say to use a linux live cd, but it is difficult to set up a wifi connection with them; you need the Windows drivers and ndiswrapper.

You could try completely disconnecting the router and modem overnight (unplug the power supplies to them and the cat5 cables) and the next morning reconnect everything and see if that works.
Eyre
good idea i'll give that a try.

Quote:
How you can connect to an IM client but not browse the web is odd indeed; it could be that the clients think they are connected when infact they are not

I can still talk to people and they send me messages back.
sush
Quote:
It won't let me go anywhere on the net, but i can still connect to instant messaging programs, online games, or other online programs.

I'm assuming you mean you can't browse the web.

What OTHER online programs can you use? Can you ping a site? Can you connect to your POP/IMAP email server? Can you get thru to an FTP Server? Does P2P work (important)?

I used to have a similar problem because my ISP had a proxy and it would almost always be busy (503 Service Unavailable). But that would affect IM and other services too.

Check your browser settings Rolling Eyes and oh maybe you could use different browsers and see if things work.

Are you sure your ISP (or router) isn't blocking some websites or ports. Is your access unrestricted? The weak link doesn't seem to be your local network. If it was, you shouldn't have been able to IM.
Eyre
yes, i can use basically any other internet program and it connects, including FTP. The only things that don't work are Internet and Email.
Jaan
If you have a router, I'd suggest disabling Windows Firewall... that might help, cause the router acts as a firewall. Also try doing a hard reset on your router (hold the reset button for 30 seconds, until it resets). That erases everything, including the password, so it should be "admin" or 1234. IF you need more help let us know
Cheers.
LethcanAernis
This seems to be a classic TCP/IP problem. either your DNS stops to work and IM works because it still have a session and goes on IP address rather than ask for a new DNS lookup.

More likely it is that the open TCP ports are taken, there is over 65000 so it should be pretty hard but maybe you use some proxy or something that lock important ports to the inside and only gets released after reboot.

Investigate with your ISP if they don't try to block that you use more than One computer.

Does your Router do NAT? else that could be the problem.
NuniPio
is this problem on all 3 computers? or just the one? coz if its just the one then it could probably be a bug in the browser and you could try some spyware removal software such as adaware or spybot for example. if the problem occurs on all three then i would suggest a router problem, solution would be to get it replaced if under warranty.
LethcanAernis
Hey give us more info, or did you fix it yourself already?
dolopo
Dh,
i'll ask u first..
which Operating System used on your router ? based on Unix or Window? because those Operating System have many different..
then.. if your trouble persist.. please contact your Internet service Provider..

-salam Betet-
Jasta30
I'd be curious to see if you shutdown all the pcs and run only one if the problem continues. It could be a conflicting ip address if the pcs are all dhcping for ip addresses.
tamilchild
It may Incorrect different subnet IPs?
orcaz
You may want to try updating your firmware... Sometimes they include fixes in updated firmwares. You can get it through the manufacturer's site.
hack_man_
It sounds like your router isn't routing HTTP properly, have you set up any port or IP forwards on your router?
billgertz
have you tried using other browser? Please also check if the browsers that you are using has the same connection configuration e.g. the proxy settings. other programs like your instant messengers would still work at this point since their using a different configuration.

Also check if the settingso of your TCP?IP on your three computers. make sure that Obtain an IP adress Automatically and DNS server automatically. This force your computers to use the DNS from your ISP.

I dont believe that this is a hardware problem. maybe you just have to update the firmware of your router which is just a minor case.
LethcanAernis
There can also be a corrupt data packaged that has been sent. What have you tried? You got lots of good idead here now.
LethcanAernis
There can also be a corrupt data packaged that has been sent. What have you tried? You got lots of good idead here now.
vm_yap
maybe increasing the tcp ports to the max possible might also work
msuballer1981
I would try plugging one of your computers directly into the modem and power cycle it. See if you can access the internet. Then try plugging the computer into the router with a cat5 cable, connect another cat5 to the modem. Power cycle the modem and then the router. See if everything works. If it is only happening to the computers that access the internet wirelessly, the router might stop transmitting a signal after a certain amount of time. It could just be a bad router too. I have had routers in the past, that would lose the connection from the modem every 15 mins and I would have to reboot the router. Sometimes when rebooting the router coudnt connect to the dns server so I had to power cycle the modem by removing the coaxial cable and the power. After I did that everything worked fine. Just out of curiousity what is the brand name and model number of the router you are using??
tumpat
i think you should try disable all of your firewall...
orcaz
Or you could also try increasing the lease time for the IP address in your router. Mebbe bcoz the lease time is up, thatz why u r d/ced?
KoXaL
i think you should do something else. NAT (Network Address Trantaltion). For this reason, you should tell me the current modem firm name and model and then i will give you the right option to NAT setting.