FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teaching myself html

evanct
i know this is a pretty broad question but what are some good sites for teaching myself html and css? i'm mostly using books but i'd like some online, more up to date resources as well.
Handyman
You should start by searching the forums. There have deen many posts on this subject. Look in the html,css and java script section on the main forum page. And there is always the w3c
santosh_iit32
Use google or get frontpage or dreamweaver to generate for u and learn.

There's nothing to learn in html except for some few codes...
alkutob
Go directly to these links

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp

If you know nothing about HTML, this is where you start

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/html/article.php/3478131
Chelissamow
My favourite websites for HTML and CSS are:

www.tutorialtastic.co.uk

and

http://www.w3schools.com/
Mosquito.Tyler
santosh_iit32 wrote:

There's nothing to learn in HTML except for some few codes...

I would strongly suggest that you learn HTML code by hand (like in notepad) before using a program like Frontpage or Dreamweaver. By learning the code beforehand, you will be a more proficient designer in a program like those.

However I'm a hardcore hand-coding junkie. I can't stand Dreamweaver.

W3 Schools.com -comprehensive learning
CSS Play.co.uk -Fancy stuff that's easy on the browser
MYP415
Yea i also suggest starting off learnign to do everything from scratch in notepad. A good site to start off is http://www.htmlgoodies.com specifically this link for html: http://htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/getting_started/
htmlrules
There is always www.w3schools.com
Daisie
thank you for all the links guys, I m a beginer too and was just looking for something like that Very Happy
exarkun
Mosquito.Tyler wrote:
santosh_iit32 wrote:

I would strongly suggest that you learn HTML code by hand (like in notepad) before using a program like Frontpage or Dreamweaver. By learning the code beforehand, you will be a more proficient designer in a program like those.

CssPlay is really a creatively way of using css to change the look of a webpage. I really recommend it for advance Html learning.
qbawler311
exarkun wrote:
Mosquito.Tyler wrote:
santosh_iit32 wrote:

CssPlay is really a creatively way of using css to change the look of a webpage. I really recommend it for advance Html learning.

The phrase "Advanced html" is an oxymoron.
the6thfactor
I would also say that experience is an invaluable tool when learning HTML. Look at some code, play with it, and learn from what you do with it. The more you use it, the easier it becomes and the more familiar it becomes.
Mosquito.Tyler
the6thfactor wrote:
I would also say that experience is an invaluable tool when learning HTML. Look at some code, play with it, and learn from what you do with it. The more you use it, the easier it becomes and the more familiar it becomes.

Indubitably veritable indeed. I've recently been (attempting to) help people with JavaScript, CSS, and HTML. It has astonished me how I can cook up an example off the top of my head so quickly and accurately (not to show off or anything). It helps a lot to learn as thoroughly as you can so that you don;t have to constantly turn to reference books / sites.
The_Gamer294
www.w3schools.com all the way. They can teach u anything u need to know about the web.
Mosquito.Tyler
The_Gamer294 wrote:
www.w3schools.com all the way. They can teach u anything u need to know about the web.

Hells yeah.
aaronmac
evanct wrote:
i know this is a pretty broad question but what are some good sites for teaching myself html and css? i'm mostly using books but i'd like some online, more up to date resources as well.

From scratch... Try www.htmlgoodies.com ..lots of tutorials and examples.

There are lots of cheap and thorough (sp?) HTML books out there, keep your eyes pealed.
markrc99
Good insight, I'm a beginner too. I'm just about done with my crude "website" but what I'd like is a counter that tabulates how times my pages have been visited. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
rfwrangler
markrc99 wrote:
Good insight, I'm a beginner too. I'm just about done with my crude "website" but what I'd like is a counter that tabulates how times my pages have been visited. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

To code a counter you will need a scripting language for this and that will be a little more involved than basic HTML and CSS.
themadness
I tought myself using Ron's Guide (http://ronsguide.com). It seems to have died down a lot recently, but there's still a bunch of good content.

Spoono has some pretty good stuff, too.
markrc99
wrangler...

Yeah, I've been bouncing around the internet and I seem to have to found one that doesn't require a sponsor, or least one that shows up seperately...thanks again for your help...much appreciated

Mark
rfwrangler
No problem if I can ever be of help let me know.
jordankalel
teaching yourself HTML isn't really that hard. At webmonkey.com they have a HTML cheat sheet and that's pretty much all you need. As long as you keep the majority of your content after the " < - body - > " tag you'll be fine. Not alot of code goes before your " < - body - > " tag anyways
Mosquito.Tyler
jordankalel wrote:
teaching yourself HTML isn't really that hard. At webmonkey.com they have a HTML cheat sheet and that's pretty much all you need. As long as you keep the majority of your content after the " < - body - > " tag you'll be fine. Not a lot of code goes before your " < - body - > " tag anyways

Learning from a cheat sheet might make it a little tedious. W3schools has actual step by step lessons that take you through all the tags you'll ever use. It's displayed in a fashion that is easy to read, memorize, and they even have forms to try it yourself on their website.

W3schools is cool.
welshsteve
I've posted this in another thread, but you could try these.

www.w3schools.com * RECOMMENDED *
www.alistaprt.com
www.joe2torials.com
www.joe2kiss.co.uk
www.bonrouge.com
www.tutorialized.com
www.csscreator.com
www.webmonkey.com