FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB Sound Card

Ucbet
Hi guys, I'm wondering if you have USB Sound Card the one like IceMat Siberia USB Soundcard or Steelpad USB Sound card, I don't need to have any PCI sound card installed right ? And the USB alone will act just like it is a sound card inside my mobo ?

Sorry for the n00b question Embarassed but I'm not a whiz when it come to technical stuff Laughing
sush
Yeah, you got it right.

USB Soundcards can be just as functional as PCI cards without the need to take your case apart for installation. Because most motherboards come with good onboard audio as a standard, no one really uses PCI soundcards except musicians (and maybe you and me).

I haven't really used a USB soundcard but I know of IceMat's range and also a number of USB headsets that integrate a DSP sound chip and a headset so you can plug it in and listen without a separate soundcard. Plantronics has a couple of nice ones (DSP-500, DSP-400?)

If you're into music I would recommend National Instruments' Guitar Rig v2 which comes with a controller device that doubles up as an excellent - and I mean excellent - USB Soundcard. Device ~ US$250, Guitar Rig Software ~ US$500.