FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

More posts for hosting

reddishblue
Hello Everyone,
I had the idea that we should raise the number of posts needed to 25, alot but if people will post quality instead of spam then this will help our forums, and before a trillian mods and admins (specificly James007) start posting about the fact that I applyed with just 5 posts the first time I applyed, I know and I am glad I did not recieve the account, i didnt understad frihost.
Also this may help people who have negative points because they dont like posting to like frihost.
So everyone please tell me what you think of this idea.

Reddish Blue
garionw
reddishblue wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I had the idea that we should raise the number of posts needed to 25, alot but if people will post quality instead of spam then this will help our forums, and before a trillian mods and admins (specificly James007) start posting about the fact that I applyed with just 5 posts the first time I applyed, I know and I am glad I did not recieve the account, i didnt understad frihost.
Also this may help people who have negative points because they dont like posting to like frihost.
So everyone please tell me what you think of this idea.

Reddish Blue

Actually, it would generate more spam and quite possibly turn down even more people.

25 Posts is a lot. So, people come here looking for web hosting, they find that they need to make 25 posts, so what are they going to do:

1. Leave - People will see that they need to make 25 posts, and think Well, I don't even know what this host is like, it not going to spend 2 hours of my life making well thought out posts just to find that its some worthless host* thats always down. I'm going to go to xxx where they provide instant hosting. Then, no-one comes to Frihost and no money gets made.

2. Spam - If they don't leave, they are going to post whole lot of worthless posts, only to have their hosting knocked down and them moving to another host. Put it in this prospective: Would you like to have 2 very well thought out games, or 25 cheap, c**p imitations?

There will only be a small percentage that will make the decision to stay and try it out

* Thats what they are thinking, not me
reddishblue
very good point, perhaps 10 would be a better number
truespeed
I dont think its a good idea either,as when i first came here i resented the forum thing initially,now i see the logic in it and i visit most days and post even when i dont need to as i like the forum,but my first 5 posts were done just to get my hosting,i wouldnt class them as spam,but i just waffled about nothing in particular to get the 5 posts out of the way,if ppl had to do anymore like the previous poster said it would lead to more spam.
scotty
Difficult topic. I always say there should be a time limit as well as a post requirement. For example somebody should have to be active for over a week before they can get hosting. But it usually works out that it takes about a week for an account to be accepted.

I guess the bottom line is that there isn't that much SPAM. It's not a problem really. I see maybe one guy a week SPAMMING for hosting. Another point is, we are not pressed for space on the server(s) and having redundant accounts doesn't degrade the service Frihost provides. (Quoted from somebody who knows, possibly Bondings?)

So in short, don't change anything. Increasing the post requirement would as already mentioned, probably increase the amount of SPAM. The balance at the moment is good, increasing post requirements wouldn't achieve anything positive so why do it?
Solo Turco
So, do you think that every little post (like this) is spam?
STYLAN
THE POST THAT I MADE FIRST WAS SEEN AS A SPAM
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA FOR SELECTING THE POSTS???
Animal
STYLAN wrote:
THE POST THAT I MADE FIRST WAS SEEN AS A SPAM
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA FOR SELECTING THE POSTS???

Usually if you capitalise every letter, it will be considered spam Rolling Eyes
Blaster
I worked on a host where you had to go for 25 and it didn't get that popular. People see that and they are like well its not really that good and they wont' come. Where if they come and you dont' like there posts you can just deny them of the accont and make them post more which we had to do and not many people liked that. Thats why i'm still here.
Josso
No, 5 is good... I wouldn't have bothered to try out the host if I needed that many posts as I was very busy at the time I signed up. Also 5 posts are usually very near spam for most people because they are rushing to try one in a very long line of free hosts... you don't want more of that really.
Blaster
yea i agree. And if they are spamming then the mods will just deny the account and they will then be forced to post good posts.
sky217
I consider the majority of posts to be spam even though the moderators do not necessarily. I see a lot of posts that seem like people are just trying to think of something to post. "Your best garage sale find" or "What handphone do you use". Maybe they're generally interested in that, but it's still kinda random and useless. (No offense meant at the examples.)

The fact is, when you require posts, people are going to be searching for something to post just to keep their points up. Some are just better than others about finding something interesting to say. When I get the notice that I'm low on points, I search for a long time for a topic that I feel I can give a valuable contribution to, but I don't often find anything. My posts aren't particularly better than average, but I'm trying to improve.

The concept of this web host is innovative, and I don't necessarily think it's bad, but I don't think the number of required posts is going to have any affect whatsoever on the content of the posts. Five seems as good as any.

The only way I can see to get decent content is to provide decent content to begin with. That's why the web hosting forums here seem to have a lot of good information. It's something relavent that we all have in common. To me, the rest of the forums are really stretching it for legitimate content. Or maybe the legitimate content is just much more diluted there.

Maybe if you required FEWER posts or you lose points slower, you'd actually have more quality content. For some reason I doubt that would make much difference either though.
simplyw00x
I think the whole 'post to host' concept encourages spam by itself. The way to minimise this is by much tighter regulation, and there's no magic formula in terms of number of posts, or number of points per post, that will change this. Writing a good quality post per day, and 5 before you even get started, should be mildly challenging, and I think that by allowing all and sundry to make really bad posts you are cheapening the experience for people that actually wait until they have something useful to say before posting, and don't just wander around forums, spewing whatever flies into their heads as soon as they see a topic they can pretend to know something about.

I think quality, and not quantity, will encourage people to post - a factor severely lacking in the current system.
Cal_123
It may as well be 7+.. Since nearly everyone who requests hosting with 5 posts has at least ONE 'bad post'
garionw
This has been suggested before:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-2085.html

Don't Change it if theres nothing wrong with it!
GameFreak
Well, according to me, 5 posts is fine as long as the points decrease everyday....
mathiaus
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-9899.html#9899
Bondings wrote:
I don't think that I'll change it to 10 or more posts in the future. The main purpose is to keep everyone active on the forum and at the moment it works, so why change it?
The difference between someone who posts 5 messages and then leaves and someone who posts 10 messages and leaves, is not very big.

-close-