FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Azureus troubles [Very slow downloads, no NAT/DHT problem]

Arno v. Lumig
Hello,

I'm not really sure if this topic is against the rules; the rules do state that it's not allowed to ask for information on warez/cracks/serials etc, but I'm not sure if that also applies for programs that CAN be used for illegal things.

Anyway, here is my problem,
I have been using Azureus for some time now, and overall I'm very pleased with it, the problem is that yesterday it totally stopped functioning how it should. The download speeds, which used to be rather high are now 300 byte per second. Really slow in other words.
There are 500 peers in one of the things I'm downloading, but I'm connected to only 10 seeders and 15 leechers, getting a speed of 75 bytes per second.
I have read loads of pages and topics about configuring azureus and optimising and tweaking, and I've experimented a LOT with it, but nothing changed; the download speeds are just really, really low.
The upload speeds are fine though, they're at 15kbps (which is where I set my limit, my internet goes really, really slow if I make it more). I have forwarded port 16881 on both TCP and UDP on my router, and I am not getting an NAT or DHT error.
All the status-smileys are either green or blue (blue only on upload).

Some other information:
My internet connection is ADSL
I'm using a router, which is setup okay
My operating system is Ubuntu Dapper Drake
The Azureus version I'm running is 2.5.0.0
All other internet applications run fine.
I am not using a firewall.
The torrent that is getting 75 byte per second now, was getting 115 kilobyte/second yesterday.

Hope anyone of you can help me.

Thanks in advance,
Arno

(PS: If a moderator would close this, could he please PM the content of this post to me, so I can ask the question somewhere else? Smile )
dogert
Try utorrent, I like it alot better, it seems like its faster, and it uses alot less resources.
Arno v. Lumig
dogert wrote:
Try utorrent, I like it alot better, it seems like its faster, and it uses alot less resources.

uTorrent is for windows, as stated in my first post I'm using Ubuntu Linux.

I am still having the same problem, I don't think it is something temporary.

Greetz,
Arno
alienjones
Perhaps this is due to your provider? In order to save bandwidth some providers tend to kinda slow down known filesharing-traffic....
Traveller
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
(PS: If a moderator would close this, could he please PM the content of this post to me, so I can ask the question somewhere else? Smile )

So far, there's no reason to close it. Discussing the operating characteristics of the various torrent programs is not prohibited here, but it is the exchange of specific torrents or torrent sources (or any other sources of illegal and/or copyrighted material) that is prohibited. The idea is to prevent the dissemination of the illegal material, not the tools themselves, since those tools can be used for legitimate purposes as well (even though most of their actual use is NOT).
{name here}
It may be because you are using Azereus - which is a Java application, which is slightly slower than a binary and is notoriously a memory hog. You might want to find a torrent agent that is a binary. Otherwise the peers are being connection hogs or you have a problem with your ISP.
dude_xyx
Open a port from router [one which use by the torrent software] i had the same problem in my PC, but after opening a separate port for that it has started work fine.
Chris24
Could also be the peers you are d/ling from have cut back their upload speed as well
surdy
It may very well be a case that the seeders would have limited their upload bandwidth or there may be too many leechers.

I never tried Azureus, so can't really tell about practical problems with it....but i can suggest u use utorrent ..its a pretty neat piece of software which requires lesser system resources and also give good performance.