FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with usb mice (mouse-es).

eznet
Okay, so I have one for you all. First I would like to give a little background. I have worked on computers for years. I feel relatively confidant inside computers physically and virtually Wink I am pretty experienced in the windows environment and slightly so with several distros of linux. The computer that is the issue at hand I built about 4+ years ago and it has ran like a champ since.

The computer is a AMD 2500XP+ running on a ASRock k7s8xeR3.0 motherboard with 2 GB of ram. I am running a NVidia 5200 video card, Hauppenpage(sp?) MCE150, PCI RAID/Expansion card. Externals include HP all-in-one printer (USB), an external USB2.0 Hard drive, and a MS intellimouse.

For over four years I have had relatively no problems, nothing that a reinstall couldn't fix. A couple weeks ago, out the blue, my USB mouse started acting odd and jumping around the screen and dieing intermittently. When I say dieing I mean that the optic light goes off (and of course, the mouse cursor stops moving). So, I first tried swapping the mouse, thinking it was the culprit. No such luck. Next I swapped all the drivers I could think of from backups of installs, PE disk, install disk, internet, etc. No such luck there. Not only did I swap the MS mouse drivers, but I also tried multiple USB drivers and HID drivers (as the device is HID compliant); all to no avail. So from here I figured to save my self further waisted time and added frustraiting and reinstalled XP. Install went off without a hitch. Mouse seemed to work for a day or so and the problem presented itself again.

I have ran HW diagnostic test and they yield no failure detection. As I stated earlier, I have other USB hardware on the same hub and there is no such similar problem with the hard drive or the printer. I am using a PS2 mouse now without any problems.

It would seem that by default that the issue would have to be hardware, likely the motherboard, since the reinstall did not fix the problem. Especially since the install was identical to every previous install over the past 4 years. Oddly enough, it is not even necessary to unplug the USB mouse to have it start working again - you can simply uninstall it in the device manager, reinstall it and it will work for a bit. A reboot or unplug/replug will also work.

To further complicate the issue, when I am in SUSE 10 the mouse will work seemingly indefinably. The problem is defiantly much less pronounced as it has not occurred under Linux over the period of days but will not lay dormant for more than a day in XP. Is there any HW involved in the HD compliance? I am stumped. Any help is appreciated though I am starting to feel it a lost cause.

Ez
Kerosan
Well it seems you are good with computers but cannot fix the problem you have. You could go to a local computer shop and see what they can come up with. It'll save you the time frustrating over it. You can think of it as a little break to let you cool down and not think about the subject for a little while. I know some shops here in Vancouver charge for a diagnostic but sometimes it's worth it you know? Wink
eznet
Kerosan wrote:
Well it seems you are good with computers but cannot fix the problem you have. You could go to a local computer shop and see what they can come up with. It'll save you the time frustrating over it. You can think of it as a little break to let you cool down and not think about the subject for a little while. I know some shops here in Vancouver charge for a diagnostic but sometimes it's worth it you know? Wink

Thanks for the advice, but not what I am looking for. Yes, I could carry it to the "professionals" but their reputation leaves much to be desired here. Most of my business in town comes from undoing their doings; so, yea, I don't think that is what I want to do. Laughing

I am more interested in isolating the cause of the problem more so than fixing the problem; if I want that, this motherboard is less than the cost of a diagnostic workup at the PC shop - so I would buy another one.

But, really, thanks again for the response. Keep em coming - especially technical responses.
RT Cunningham
I've seen this problem before. It turned out to be the USB hub. Have you tried swapping that out?
eznet
I say hub... It is actually the on board USB hub on my k7s8x motherboard. I have not attempted using a add on hub but that may be the next thing I look into...