FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


FireFox 2.0 or Firefox 1.x ?





SFMeatwad
Who here likes the new 2.0 that came out. I kind of like it with the Spelling Check and a new reference guide and it's own little dictionary, but hey, that's software. The downside is it's slow loading time even with the FasterFox plugin.

Firefox 1.x is kind of good, but yet, froze a lot when loading huge websites like myspace with the plugins installed like FoxyTunes, FasterFox, VideoDownloader, ChatZilla, IE Tab, and Webmaster's Plugin, etc.
ocalhoun
I'm using FF2, and loving it.
The only disadvantage I see is that it has a slower startup, but that's partly due to all the extensions I have running on it.
screamingdecay
I upgraded the day it came out, I like it but I hated the fact I had to re install all my plug ins and I still have yet to fix Windows mediaplayer files not playing in the browser arrr.
blueray
hi, All, you given me all good news about new version of firefox.

I would like to install it but I do waiting more feed back first. After checkout the feature and bug list. I noticed that the release one should be simlair as RC3. The fact is that it should still have some issues not solved yet. So, I'am certain if problems arised. Can I back to previous version. That's why I'am still using 1.5.0.7.

Any ideas about it.

Thanks
Eric,
nf777
i prefer firefox version 2.0 looks smoooth and it has alot of new features and security.
ezekiel_rage
I am liking the 2.0.

But i think i am stating to miss the way that i can just type a phrase or keyword into the address bar and Firefox will search for the nearest match.

Now, i cant do that because if the are spaces between keywords, Firefox 2 will complain that the URL is invalid.

I can still do keyword search but not phrases with spaces.

It greatly impacts the way I surf
PseudoKnight
I've been using it since RC1. Release Candidate 3 is fine and pretty stable. No one should worry about upgrading to it.
desertwind
Firefox 2 is better than 1.x series. It has quite an improvement on startup also. I'm loving this built in spell check feature
Kerosan
My life has been much easier ever since the upgrade to 2.0. Used it and loved it since. Some addon's didn't work so all I can do now is wait for the next release of the addon that supports Firefox 2.0!
Ranfaroth
I don't Use Fx, so I can only speak about the engine. Fx 1.5.x use gecko 1.8.0.x, whereas Fx 2.x use gecko 1.8.1.x.
As you can see, it's a very minor version upgrade, but there are still few enhancements.
So as a webdeveloper, I'll recommand you to use the latest gecko version (but you're not obliged to use Fx, you can use whatever browser which is based on gecko engine...)
jwellsy
I wish that I had stayed with FF1.5.0.7 .
I normally keep a lot of tabs open.
Anything over 12 tabs gets treated like temporary bookmarks
and links get opened in a new tab and forces your first tab off the screen.
It drives me crazy to be limited to only 12 tabs showing.
I wish I had not gone to 2.0 .
The-Master
I am loving this version of firefox it is nice. I don't see any spell check options though exept on my google toolbar...
Studio Madcrow
2.0 all the way. I'm only using 1.5 right now beacuse I don't have root permissions to install 2.0 on my shared Linux box. I use 2.0 at school and in Windows though.
proto-man
I am loving 2.0 so far. Especially the spell check feature. I don't notice any difference in the loading time, perhaps because I don't have many extensions. Wish they would have added more for a big jump like to 2.0

Another thing that is great is that when you restart firefox after installing extensions, themes, etc, your tabs recover. Its a great thing when you have important pages open. Other than, I don't see much of a notable difference.
ftasyo
I've been following the discussion and thinking of downloading FF 2.0 but can it run alongside FF 1.5? What i mean is if I install version 2 will it not disable my FF 1.5? I'd like to test drive FF2 but I don't like to lose the Ff plugins I am working with.
snowboardalliance
jwellsy wrote:
I wish that I had stayed with FF1.5.0.7 .
I normally keep a lot of tabs open.
Anything over 12 tabs gets treated like temporary bookmarks
and links get opened in a new tab and forces your first tab off the screen.
It drives me crazy to be limited to only 12 tabs showing.
I wish I had not gone to 2.0 .


What?

I haven't tried it yet but this doesn't sound good. Can you explain a little better? What do you mean temporary bookmarks?
yjwong
Quote:

I wish that I had stayed with FF1.5.0.7 .
I normally keep a lot of tabs open.
Anything over 12 tabs gets treated like temporary bookmarks
and links get opened in a new tab and forces your first tab off the screen.
It drives me crazy to be limited to only 12 tabs showing.
I wish I had not gone to 2.0 .


Isn't that a good feature? It keeps the text on your tabs visible. Anyway, they aren't like temporary bookmarks. Bookmarks load by refetching the page when you click on them. If you have lots of tabs, you should really go for Firefox 2 because if your Firefox crashes, you would not have to worry. All your tabs get restored. In Firefox 1.5.0.7, you have to rely on third party extensions to provide this functionality (and therefore Firefox might be less stable).

I like the interface of Firefox 2. Its much smoother. However many themes and extensions are not compatible with it. This will change in the future, currently most of the theme and extension authors are working hard to make their product compatible with this new version of Firefox.

If anyone wants to force their extensions/themes to load in Firefox 2 (if they are not compatible), use an extension called Nightly Tester Tools. Its very useful. Try to search for it in Google.
driftingfe3s
I like 2.0, but other than spellchecking I don't notice any other differences. I haven't used it much, but it seems to use as much resources as 1.5.
djclue917
blueray wrote:
I would like to install it but I do waiting more feed back first. After checkout the feature and bug list. I noticed that the release one should be simlair as RC3. The fact is that it should still have some issues not solved yet. So, I'am certain if problems arised. Can I back to previous version. That's why I'am still using 1.5.0.7.

Any ideas about it.

Thanks
Eric,


Firefox 2.0 final is the same as Firefox 2.0 RC3. The developers think that RC3 is stable enough to become the final 2.0 release.

Actually, you can't do away with software bugs. No program is 100% bug-free and nothing will ever will. That's a programming fact.

I don't see any reason why you should hesitate trying out and using Firefox 2.0, but if you're really that paranoid about bugs and stuff, then you're probably better off waiting for the first bugfix release of 2.0, version 2.0.1.

I hope these helps... Smile
djclue917
jwellsy wrote:
I wish that I had stayed with FF1.5.0.7 .
I normally keep a lot of tabs open.
Anything over 12 tabs gets treated like temporary bookmarks
and links get opened in a new tab and forces your first tab off the screen.
It drives me crazy to be limited to only 12 tabs showing.
I wish I had not gone to 2.0 .


I don't get your point. I think the way Firefox 2.0 handles and manages tabs is way better than how Firefox 1.5.x and Firefox 1.0.x handles and manages tabs.
djclue917
snowboardalliance wrote:
jwellsy wrote:
I wish that I had stayed with FF1.5.0.7 .
I normally keep a lot of tabs open.
Anything over 12 tabs gets treated like temporary bookmarks
and links get opened in a new tab and forces your first tab off the screen.
It drives me crazy to be limited to only 12 tabs showing.
I wish I had not gone to 2.0 .


What?

I haven't tried it yet but this doesn't sound good. Can you explain a little better? What do you mean temporary bookmarks?


He's actually used the wrong term. They are not "temporary bookmarks". Firefox 2.0 has a button at the right-most side of the tab bar. It has a listing of all the open tabs. In other words, it is more of like a "tab menu". By the way, "arrow buttons" which are located at the left and the right side of the tabs are used to "scroll" through tabs. It's a nifty feature I think.

I think it is a very good feature for Firefox 2.0 since locating a tab when a lot of tabs are open, e.g. 20+ tabs, is really a very hard thing to do.
djclue917
Studio Madcrow wrote:
2.0 all the way. I'm only using 1.5 right now beacuse I don't have root permissions to install 2.0 on my shared Linux box. I use 2.0 at school and in Windows though.


You can install and run it in your home directory if you're really anxious in using Firefox. Cool
blueray
djclue917 wrote:
blueray wrote:
I would like to install it but I do waiting more feed back first. After checkout the feature and bug list. I noticed that the release one should be simlair as RC3. The fact is that it should still have some issues not solved yet. So, I'am certain if problems arised. Can I back to previous version. That's why I'am still using 1.5.0.7.

Any ideas about it.

Thanks
Eric,


Firefox 2.0 final is the same as Firefox 2.0 RC3. The developers think that RC3 is stable enough to become the final 2.0 release.

Actually, you can't do away with software bugs. No program is 100% bug-free and nothing will ever will. That's a programming fact.

I don't see any reason why you should hesitate trying out and using Firefox 2.0, but if you're really that paranoid about bugs and stuff, then you're probably better off waiting for the first bugfix release of 2.0, version 2.0.1.

I hope these helps... Smile


hi, djclue917, you are correct. Any programs should have bugs depends on what kind of it. Whether it is minor, major, or security (due to easy writing) .

As I get feedback from users from other forums that said sometime the bookmarks was disappear. He needs over and over to restore the data to the apps. The bottom line is after I do update to newest version of it. I can do anything currently I do.

So far, it seems the feedback I got from here and the others are 70% positive and 30% negative.

How about you? Did you use it already ?

Thanks you
Eric,
blueray
hi, all, Thanks for yours feedback and suggestions that let me known what it can or can not do. Smile

I will install it this weekend. Very Happy

Also, any ideas still appreciate.

Enjoy firefox

Thanks again
Eric,
ocalhoun
blueray wrote:

I would like to install it but I do waiting more feed back first. After checkout the feature and bug list. I noticed that the release one should be simlair as RC3. The fact is that it should still have some issues not solved yet. So, I'am certain if problems arised. Can I back to previous version. That's why I'am still using 1.5.0.7.


You can install them both side-by-side to make your comparison; you don't have to do all that research. I, in fact, still have 1.5 installed as well as 2.0 (I haven't bothered to uninstall 1.5 yet.)

*edit*
jwellsy wrote:
I wish that I had stayed with FF1.5.0.7 .
I normally keep a lot of tabs open.
Anything over 12 tabs gets treated like temporary bookmarks
and links get opened in a new tab and forces your first tab off the screen.
It drives me crazy to be limited to only 12 tabs showing.
I wish I had not gone to 2.0 .


Get the 'tab mix plus' extension, which just got released for FF2 today. That should fix it. (I've been eagerly awaiting that add-on to be supported by FF2.) It gives scroll buttons to the tabs bar when there are enough to fill up the bar, among other cool things.
jwellsy
Thanks ocalhoun,
I can live with that new extension.
I found an option that enables multiple rows of tabs.
That scrolling back and forth to find tabs was driving me crazy.
Now I can see them all, all the time.

To me that sideways scrolling to find tabs is as irritating as a webpage
that is too wide and you have to sidescroll to see/read it.

Thanks Again
rayx
I love firefox 2.0 because of the FireFTP. And i love the interface and it is not that slow on my PC.
KHO
Hmm, agreed. FFX 2.0 is superior. Oh, what's this then? A spell check! Amazing! Perhaps now the internet may become somewhat literate!
*applauds*

It offers small bonuses that allow for a greater browser, I managed to put my address field and Google search bar into the top toolbar with file, edit, etc... and remove my navigational bar altogether. The tabs seem sleeker, and I simply cant get passed this spell check. A 10 out of 10. (even seems a bit faster)

EDIT: I have already found that the wonderful spellchecker does not work in all mesasage boards, this was to be expected, but it doesn't work in the one I primarily use. Score is now a 9 out of 10
djclue917
blueray wrote:
hi, djclue917, you are correct. Any programs should have bugs depends on what kind of it. Whether it is minor, major, or security (due to easy writing) .

As I get feedback from users from other forums that said sometime the bookmarks was disappear. He needs over and over to restore the data to the apps. The bottom line is after I do update to newest version of it. I can do anything currently I do.

So far, it seems the feedback I got from here and the others are 70% positive and 30% negative.

How about you? Did you use it already ?


Yup. I'm currently using it right now. I didn't have the same problem that others encountered. I'm using Firefox 2.0 in Linux by the way.
orcaz
Personally, I would recommend you to update to FF 2 immediately. The visual refresh was the top priority which made my decision to upgrade. also has a bunch of new stuff like phishing filter, spellcheck...
ocalhoun
rayx wrote:
I love firefox 2.0 because of the FireFTP.

Oh, does it come with that by default now? It was an extension for 1.x, and it got grandfathered in to my 2.0 installation.
shwetanshu
i m using Firefox 2.0 and i am liking it... though hate Spell Check feature and he fact i had to re-install all my plugins and TAb Mix plus didnt work till yesterday
WickedGravity
Funny, when i upgraded to FF2 a couple moths ago during the beta, I noticed a marked improvement in speed on all fronts. i still do now that the final release is installed.

I have all the annoying plugins most people do as well, so it isn't bare bones by a long shot. Fasterfox, Foxytunes, etc.

Mental note, I think uninstalling Fasterfox and installing the Tweak network plugin would do you a lot of good. Fasterfox is a known memory leak and Tweak Network does the same thing, but it doesn't have to be loaded at each browser start.

I have Fasterfox installed for development purposes before you ask by the way.
wicke
FF 2 is better than FF 1.x/1.xx but some addons and extensions aren't avaible for new version of Firefox yet. I don't have any examples but I think there is anyway few unupdateable extensions and addons avaible yet.
ocalhoun
^Most are compatible now (all 23 of mine are now supported), and more unsupported ones are becoming supported all the time.
Antek88
im using firefox 2.0 and i like this Smile
Related topics
*OFFICIAL* Which Browser do you use?
Spoofing in Mozilla ( FireFox) browser flaw
Browsers beside firefox, IE, NS, Opera?
Why you should not be using Ubuntu!
Internet Explorer de bir sorun!
Firefox: Is there a way to double the tabbar?
Firefox 2.0 Beta 2 Released!
Google Toolbar V3.0.x/4.0.x PageRank Checksum Algorithm
Firefox 3 alpha out
actionscript2.0 - ending a for loop
Na sua opinião qual é o melhor navegador ?
Firefox 3.x crashes so often.. i am moving back to IE
How to upgrade Joomla 1.0.x
Convert Joomla 1.0.x templates to joomla 1.5.x Templates
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.