FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rap music: Destroying our youth?

S3nd K3ys
There have been a few studies put out about how rap music makes people violent.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/61/68559.htm
WebMD wrote:
After studying 522 black girls between the ages of 14 and 18 from non-urban, lower socioeconomic neighborhoods, researchers found that compared to those who never or rarely watched these videos, the girls who viewed these gangsta videos for at least 14 hours per week were far more likely to practice numerous destructive behaviors. Over the course of the one-year study, they were:

* Three times more likely to hit a teacher
* Over 2.5 times more likely to get arrested
* Twice as likely to have multiple sexual partners
* 1.5 times more likely to get a sexually transmitted disease, use drugs, or drink alcohol.

"What is particularly alarming about our findings is that we didn't find an association with just violence or one or two risky behaviors," says researcher Ralph J. DiClemente, PhD, of Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health. "We found an association with a string of these behaviors."

I'm sure several people here have seen the effects of some frihost members who strongly support rap music getting violent and e-threatening people for no valid reason. I know I have, on more than one occasion.

Anyone have (non-violent) comments on this?
LukeakaDanish
Sure - the statistic makes sense - after all, violence, sex and drugs is exactly what rap-music promotes.

However I dont think this violent culture is a result of rap-music. I think rap-music is a result of the culture.

The treatment is to make sure everybody gets equal opportunities in life - meaning everybody has the chance to get into the same colleges and universities (make e'm free), free medical service, no-one has to live in trailer parks etc.

Not that that's gonna happen any time soon in america - but taking steps towards more equality should hurt anybody...and will start to break down this violent culture which the current society structure has created.

Thats my 0.02$ Smile
xorcist
I am going to put my (non-violent) comments in on this unlike certain Frihost members you meant in your sig oops *Cough Cough*

I dont think that rap music makes people violent, There are alot of other types of music like Heavy Metal, Metal, PunkRock or whatever I cant really get my name on all of them now, that cause's violence its not only Rap. Mostly heavly metal music really because its mainly about anger, violence and suicide mainly when I think of Violence I think of Heavy Metal they talking about killing themselves and stuff like that.

That's my 0.03$
S3nd K3ys
xorcist wrote:
I am going to put my (non-violent) comments in on this unlike certain Frihost members you meant in your sig oops *Cough Cough*

I dont think that rap music makes people violent, There are alot of other types of music like Heavy Metal, Metal, PunkRock or whatever I cant really get my name on all of them now, that cause's violence its not only Rap. Mostly heavly metal music really because its mainly about anger, violence and suicide mainly when I think of Violence I think of Heavy Metal they talking about killing themselves and stuff like that.

That's my 0.03$

Good point about metal. I love metal, and when I listen to the right metal, it makes me want to break shit. Not that I break shit, or threaten to break shit, I just feel like breaking shit. Or driving real fast if I'm in the car or on the bike.
xxbalialxx
I agree. Theres no way that rap music turns a good person into a violent killing machine, or drug user for that matter. It's the culture that made the music, and its the culture that does that to the people.

Rap is just a bad form of music - it promotes racism first of all, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, and worst of all, extreme sexism. Hearing a few lines from a bad rap song makes me want to throw up - it disgusts me.

On the other side of things though, Run DMC, and the Beastie Boys are excellent rap artists - not only that, but they give credit to their producers. Eminem doesn't write his own music. His studio engineer does. 50Cent doesnt program his own drum beats or play synthesizer, his studio engineer does. The Beastie boys are a rap "group" they PLAY INSTRUMENTS.

This is my main complaint about rap, other than the fact that generally all new rap is terrible, and repetitive.
CrimsonStrange
I think a lot of the attraction to hardcore rap, heavy metal, etc. by young people is a desire for power - some kind of feeling of superiority over the people, issues, institutions... that they feel are controlling them.
It's a defensive mechanism, basically.

Let's face it: unless you've got a really good imagination, it's sort of hard to listen to someone like Al Jarreau for 3 hours & get all fired up to go blow somebody's brains out.

There's a lot more pressure these days on younger generations to perform and be everything that their parents always wanted to be, but never could.
Sports, academics, pressure from peers, from teachers, being constantly bombarded by media conceptions of what is & what is not "cool" and "acceptable"...

All of that pressure & stress builds up over time and there's got to be a release somewhere; hence, hard music about "forbidden" subjects & negative emotions which provides a sense of control/domination/power to the listener.

Negative music is just like drugs or alcohol: too much for too long will do serious damage to you, in some form or another.
deStructuralized
Natti (CunninLynguists), 'America Loves Gangsters' wrote:
America loves Gottis, America loves bodies
Pacino countin’ C-Notes for shootin up club lobbies
While Eddie Nash controls bankrolls in Wonderland
Tony Soprano hits channels and holds down On-Demand
We wanna see it and some ****** gon’ wanna be it
Others are doing numbers that breed it, bleed it, can’t defeat it

Bush, the political gangster, man you gotta be high
Gave plenty of orders for slaughters ain’t swatted a fly
Modern day cowboys with shiny alloys for side arms
Hidin being bombs, advanced cowards
In Jesse James ways we handled the Towers
Guns blazin for freeze framing the King of New York

You can't blame "rap music" for the corruption of today's youth unless you also blame the media as a whole. But I prefer to think that maybe it's time we stopped blaming all of society's problems on music, TV, and video games.

Maybe it's time for us all to take a good look at ourselves and at the type of culture America breeds as a whole, instead of blaming one subculture. Gangsterism has been embraced in America since the 1930s--long before hip-hop's creation. What you see on MTV and hear on the radio isn't a reflection of hip-hop culture as much as it is a reflection of American pop culture. Do you really think violence, materialism, and sexism would be on mainstream media channels if society didn't accept them?

That's all I have to say. I'll gladly discuss the culture with anyone who has an open mind about it...but the people who say all rap is about guns, drugs, cash, and women are absolutely wrong. Prussian Blue is big in red states, but that doesn't mean all folk/rock's racist and corrupting our youth.
gh0stface
In my opinion, a lot of these "gangsters" believe that they have to live or participate in a violent lifestyle in order to conoct sellable lyrics and get street cred. After all, in the early to mid nineties, gangsta rap was where all the money was at. Especially with big names starring Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre, Tupac, and Biggie. Most recently was 50 cent who got lucky with Eminem finding him off the streets. 50 cent has been in prison, in shoot outs, and selling drugs.

It seems like those who listen to rap would rather listen to violent happenings in songs. Perhaps as a way to "live" the life that they aren't able to. Although why you would want to live a violent lifestyle is beyond me.
xxbalialxx wrote:
Eminem doesn't write his own music. His studio engineer does.

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Have you ever listened to his earlier works? Before Dre found him? Those were all original works by him. Although, I'm not sure if he writes his own stuff now but I'm still pretty sure he does.
DeviousRiders
he dose wirte his own stuff still and will keep doing it like jay-z and snoop ok these things are just pointless now
xorcist
DeviousRiders wrote:
he dose wirte his own stuff still and will keep doing it like jay-z and snoop ok these things are just pointless now

Jay-Z copies off alot of people and get his lyrics from like everybody.

xxbalialxx wrote:

Rap is just a bad form of music - it promotes racism first of all, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, and worst of all, extreme sexism. Hearing a few lines from a bad rap song makes me want to throw up - it disgusts me.

What rap song promotes racism?
deStructuralized
gh0stface wrote:

xxbalialxx wrote:
Eminem doesn't write his own music. His studio engineer does.

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Have you ever listened to his earlier works? Before Dre found him? Those were all original works by him. Although, I'm not sure if he writes his own stuff now but I'm still pretty sure he does.

I'm pretty sure xbalial is talking about Eminem's beats. When people talk about writing music as opposed to writing lyrics they generally mean the track behind the vocals.

But Eminem doesn't claim to be a producer (and neither does 50 Cent) so it's a moot point anyway. Do you expect a band's lead singer to play drums? It'd be cool if they did (peace to Phil Collins), but generally, no. Why expect an MC to be heavily involved in the instrumental half of his music? It makes no sense even in terms of traditional bands, and quite frankly, isn't a very compelling criticism of hip-hop.

The idea that Eminem doesn't write his own lyrics is laughable, for the reasons gh0st pointed out above.

xorcist wrote:
Jay-Z copies off alot of people and get his lyrics from like everybody.

Quoting other people's lyrics has been a huge practice in hip-hop since the early 1990s...the biggest oldschool artists did it all the time. It's an MC's way of paying homage to those that he respects.

In addition to that, quoting other people's lyrics or quoting famous phrases is commonplace in a lot of other genres of music as well, including rock and country. It's sometimes a good idea to have a phrase in your songs that people can connect to and recognize from a cultural standpoint...it makes what you're saying that much more human and relevant.

In addition to that, quoting other people isn't even the worst thing you can do as a lyricist or vocalist. The most famous pop artists out right now all hire songwriters/ghostwriters. With the exception of Diddy I'd say most rappers at the very least write the majority of their own lyrics.

Anything else?
DeviousRiders
unlike Pharrell who made the beat and made his own part of the lyrics
mattchun
Nope, the evil comes from our mind, not from any outside subject, in my opinion.
lordfrikk
LOL, get real, it's the same like "uhh... kids play violent games then kill their classmates..." If you're okay, you can listen to rap, play violent games and still you're not more violent that you'd be without these things...
todabeat
Didnt the kids what killed their classmates in Calumbine were Mariline Manson listners and NIN listners.

All types of music and all types of movies, video games etc. Can cause people to turn violent, but the real blame are the PARENTS period. Rest my case. Nothhing else your honer.. :-p... hehhe
Blaster
I strongly agree with this. Rap has no good effect on people i think. At least the people that listen to it all the time with no other music mixed in. I will admit that there are some rap songs that i listen to but I also listen rock and all that good stuff too. My teacher also listens to rap and he isn't insane like these people. It depends on if you have a mixed balance of different gernes.
Dwyer17
Why did this topic all of a sudden turn spanish? Crazy frihost forums. Any ways, why are you all talking about eminem and jay-z, eminem sucks ok, n jay-z is weak, kinda lame. I don't think rap music makes people violent. Maybe it's just that violent people listen to rap music. Well, more or less. There are plenty of straight up pussies that listen to rap music, and I don't see much of them being very violent. Well, w/e. I like rap music anyways.
Josso
I think it's not only rap music that does this, infact any type of music can influence people to do certain types of things. For example the kind of music I listen to most of the time... the really hardcore face melting kind of experimental jungle (you can call it IDM if you must) makes me want to smash stuff up all the time Laughing
hsadmin
I THNK RAP SUCKS ( OPINION ) AND IT'S KILLING PEOPLE! Stick to the way life should be! METAL!
deStructuralized
^
Laughing

YEAAAHHHH! COCAINE OVERDOSE! THROW UP THE HORNS AND BITE THE HEADS OFF BATS!

STAND UP AND SHOOOOOUUUUUUT!!!

It's always hilarious when people claim one form of music hurts people, then turn around and declare that another form of potentially "harmful" music is god.

Jesus. Gimme a break.
mmitch
I agree with this totaly....Rap music is deffinatly destroying our youth and corupting their minds about doing drugs and that going to jail is the way to go and stuff like that. Rap music its self could be considered a drug. for a drug is anything that corupts the mind, and that is exactly what it is doing to our youth.
lordfrikk
todabeat wrote:
Didnt the kids what killed their classmates in Calumbine were Mariline Manson listners and NIN listners.

Sure, this says all, DO NOT LISTEN TO MARILY MANSON BECAUSE YOU'LL KILL YOUR CLASSMATES ONE DAY! OMG I'm listening to him since I was 14 and guess how many ppl I killed to this day? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dwyer17 wrote:
I don't think rap music makes people violent. Maybe it's just that violent people listen to rap music.

Totally agree.

hsadmin wrote:
I THNK RAP SUCKS ( OPINION ) AND IT'S KILLING PEOPLE!

Music doesn't kill people. People does.

This topic is so silly that I amazed I even bothered to answer... huh. Maybe you should think over some USEFUL things and don't blame music for everything evil that happens.
DeviousRiders
LETS GO BACK TO THIS

deStructuralized wrote:

Blaster wrote:
la mayor parte de la gente que vende las drogas es la gente que escucha esta música… iguales con el teh unos que lo fumen. .
Laughing
muertes del rodillo de la roca n, Wikipedia wrote:

Alan Wilson (calor conservado) - suicidio o sobredosis accidental de la heroína , 3 de septiembre de 1970 en la barranca de Topanga, California Jimi Hendrix - sobredosis del barbitúrico , 18 de septiembre de 1970 en Londres, Inglaterra Janis Joplin - sobredosis de la heroína , 4 de octubre de 1970 en Los Ángeles, California Parsons del gramo - sobredosis de la droga , 19 de septiembre de 1973 en el árbol de Joshua, California Mella Drake - suicidio o sobredosis accidental , 25 de noviembre de 1974 adentro Tanworth-en-Arden, Inglaterra Tim Buckley - sobredosis de la heroína , 29 de junio de 1975 Gary Thain - (Uriah Heep) - sobredosis de la droga , 8 de diciembre de 1975 Tommy Bolin (de color morado oscuro, la cuadrilla de James, Zephyr) - sobredosis de la heroína , 4 de diciembre de 1976 La luna de Keith - (que) overdose en Heminevrin, 7 Sep de 1978 en Londres, Inglaterra Sid vicioso - (suicidio de las pistolas del sexo) o sobredosis accidental , 2 de febrero de 1979 en New York City, Nueva York Juan Bonham (Zeppelin conducido) - consumición excesiva del alcohol , 25 Sep de 1980 en Windsor, Inglaterra Explosiones de Lester (solo) - sobredosis de la droga , 30 Abr de 1982 en Nueva York, NY David Byron (Uriah Heep) - complicaciones alcohol-relacionadas, 28 de febrero de 1985 en la lectura, Berkshire, Inglaterra Phil Lynott (Lizzy fino) - sobredosis accidental , 4 de enero de 1986 en Salisbury, Wiltshire, Inglaterra Hillel Eslovaco - sobredosis accidental , 25 de junio de 1988 en Los Ángeles, California Sobredosis de la droga de David Ruffin (tentaciones, a solas) - el 1 de junio de 1991 en Philadelphia, PA Sobredosis accidental de Nowell del alfilerillo (sublimar) - , 25 de mayo de 1996 Jonatán Melvoin (calabazas sensacionales) - sobredosis accidental , junio el 11 de julio de 1996 Jonatán Melvoin (calabazas sensacionales) - sobredosis accidental , junio el 11 de julio de 1996
Ése es todo lo que tengo que decir. La mayor parte de la gente de la materia está escribiendo sobre rap adentro aquí es falsedades basadas en el 5% de gente del rap consigue ver en MTV y oír en la radio. Continuar.

ahora deja para ver uno de asnos de u leer esto
deStructuralized
Since nobody else seems able to adequately criticize rap's musical merits or its supposed effect on society, I'll go ahead and address the original post.

S3nd's interpretation of the WebMD quote are plainly misleading. First of all, don't quote somebody if he blatantly disagrees with your conclusions:

WebMD wrote:
"Yes, there are rap videos that are particularly violent or sexual, but let's look at what is more important in whether or not these kids act out of behaviors -- their family structure and the type of parenting they get," says Cheryl Keyes, PhD, associate professor of ethnomusicology at UCLA and author of Rap Music and Street Consciousness. "Parents need to get more involved in what their children are watching."

No argument from DiClemente or Buttross.

WebMD wrote:
"You cannot stick your head in the sand and expect your child will only look at good stuff," says Buttross. "Parents need to know what their children are being exposed to. Certainly, rap is not the only music that portrays negative stereotypes or can negatively impact behaviors, and not all rap music should be implicated. But there have been nearly 1,000 studies that have looked at the effects that the media has on children's behavior. And nearly all of them find there is a strong effect."

The people who ran the study conclude:
1. Family structure and environment are more important.
2. Rap is not the only negative media out there.

Second of all, look at the merits of the study itself:
WebMD wrote:
His study, published in the March issue of the American Journal of Public Health, only involved black girls living in Birmingham, Ala. -- all of whom were already sexually active.

The Sample
522 sexually active black girls from ONE city in ONE state is hardly an accurate sample for the ENTIRE POPULATION of today's youth. The sample's too SMALL, it's limited in scope to ONE tiny region, and it only involves people who already participate in dangerous activity.

Methods
It's never made clear what methods were used to collect this data...and that drastically hurts the study's credibility.

Was this an observational study, or an experiment? Did they use surveys, or did they follow these girls around and watch as they hit teachers and got pregnant? What about extraneous factors and confounding variables? What about measurement bias, and the fact that teenagers don't tend to be very honest or thoughtful when filling out surveys? Were the questions worded in a misleading or loaded manner? You're asking students how many times they hit teachers, did drugs, or had sex and you don't think they'll lie or exaggerate?

Either blame the media as a whole, or concede that people need to be responsible for their own actions. Trying to pinpoint one genre or subculture as "THE social evil" is pointless. Are any of you fake sociologists who hate rap actually going to respond to the numerous points that've been made, or are we done playing the blame game?
Josso
hsadmin wrote:
I THNK RAP SUCKS ( OPINION ) AND IT'S KILLING PEOPLE! Stick to the way life should be! METAL!

Yeah... and metal doesn't promote violence? Rolling Eyes
xorcist
Josso wrote:
hsadmin wrote:

Yeah... and metal doesn't promote violence? Rolling Eyes
It sounds like metal music the music that has people killing, metal of course promotes violence, I dont listen to metal but one in a while I hear it but dont listen to it.
Scott
It's important to realize that correlation doesn't mean causation. People that are already more violent may just be more likely to want to listen to rap. Also, it's a big generalization. There is TONS of rap out there that doesn't promote violence or racism.
Motoracer380
youve got it all wrong...there is no true definition about rap. you can make a rap about rainbows if you wanted....but a lot of rap is generated from bad areas....most rap is about things like that....but you can find some without it.... and i do agree that songs like that do STRONGLY promote and influence young minds.
Marston
This is a pretty sensationalist thread... Razz
spaz-o
I definately don't believe so.

It's like the argument long ago about rock music causing Satanism. That's definately not true. They just didn't like it because it was different. Their kids were going out and smoking, doing drugs and having sex because it was seen as rebelling, and everyone always thinks rebels are cool. People are stupid, it has nothing to do with music.

Then people started to say metal was Satanic. Granted, some is, but you shouldn't stereotype because of 3 creepy songs. If a dog bit you would you shoot all the dogs? Hell no.

I personally don't agree with the excessive swearing in a lot of rap music, but that's the artist's choice. The image that comes along with rap music is what's most important to think about. The drugs and fighting that's often associated with rap is what the kids buy into. Especially young kids that wanna be just like the people they see on tv.

Basically, it's not the music's fault. It's the stupid people that listen to it. Unless it's the brain washing type of music, like on Josie and the Pussycats.
todabeat
Well all types of music can corrupt out youth, its just the amount of music you listen to, or how serious you take it. As for rap back in the days it was more gangsta, but now adays, it's all about money,cars, and women.

I know raps has its downs, but so does all types of music.
mceejaydee
It's just that some teens think they bang and crap just because their brothers, sisters, parents or cousins bang. There's this dude in my school who thinks he's a crip and all and wears all blue and stuff.

Rap and videogames is a damn scapegoat for everything. -_-

todabeat wrote:

All types of music and all types of movies, video games etc. Can cause people to turn violent, but the real blame are the PARENTS period. Rest my case. Nothhing else your honer.. :-p... hehhe

Marylin Manson, Doom and antidepressants were a scapegoat for columbine.

P.S. Metalheads, stop saying rap sucks. Now go listen to your devil music. Now how did that feel?
DeviousRiders
mceejaydee wrote:
It's just that some teens think they bang and crap just because their brothers, sisters, parents or cousins bang. There's this dude in my school who thinks he's a crip and all and wears all blue and stuff.

Rap and videogames is a damn scapegoat for everything. -_-

todabeat wrote:

Marylin Manson, Doom and antidepressants were a scapegoat for columbine.

P.S. Metalheads, stop saying rap sucks. Now go listen to your devil music. Now how did that feel?

thank you but some ppl real do gang bang ask that kid who is the crip leader around ur parts if u kno personaly i dont like crips.
masqued_dreams
I have been, always will be against rap music because the majority of the context is disturbing and disgusting. however, it is our jobs as parents to teach our children right from wrong and prevent them from performing these acts of violence. I, personally, was not allowed to listen to rap music. Now, does that mean i didn't listen to it? no. Parents don't have complete control of what their children do at school. However, parents do have a say so over what their children do under their supervision. Out of their hands, children should be placed in after school activities, such as sports and clubs to promote positive activities rather than negative ones.
todabeat
I think that you are wrong by saying "the majority" becuase what you seen on Mtv, and listen to on the radio is not even 30% of all the rap out there, the majority of rappers are California, underground rappers. Who call themselves poets, and their lyrics aren't gangster or talk about ******, and guns or anything like that. If you listen to those words is becuase they are telling their fans not to do that stupid stuff.
Pyro Man
I pretty much hate rap. Im rock/punk/metal through and through, I do think rap was maybe influenced by some of the rebious rock groups. Came along the Beastie boys and their insane VW badge necklaces
Josso
Pyro Man wrote:
I pretty much hate rap.

Ahh yes but then again this is the problem, not all rap is that bad... it's a very big genre. Have you heard Dr. Dooom or anything like that? That's "rap" I guess you could call it but at the same time it's lyrically intense (like some of the rock tracks you listen to) and technically very impressive.
mceejaydee
All you rap hating people READ this now. Good rap is still here today. Talib Kweli, Mos Def and alot of underground rappers.

Rap DOES NOT
-Promote violence
-Promote alcohol
-Promote drugs
-Promote sex
-Promote gangbanging

What you were listening too was fake unreal rap. Need examples?
50 Cent, Yung Joc, Paul Wall. Basically new rap out there today.

The reason why people listen to rap is NOT because they think they will be cool. People listen to rap because they want to listen to some poetry. To dance too, and music to listen to.

I listen to rock and rap. I found that they're the same thing, but most of rap is exploited by ****** and whatnot.

I'm done, it's just so annoying defending rap. We can't stop all the haters but we can stop a couple.

Some people think all rap are about money, sex and drugs
Some people think all rock are about worshipping satan and killing yourself

Now don't talk crap about a music genre if you never had the chance to listen in on it.

Also, have you guys ever noticed that people who hate rap can't say it next to the stereotypical "gangsta" but they feel more comfortable saying it online. I used to hate rap soooo freakin much and I know how you guys feel because most of the music I listened too came from MTV. I started learning about Tupac and started to love rap. Now i'm here defending rap.
fasa
From webmd
Quote:
from non-urban, lower socioeconomic neighborhoods

The most important fact about the survey IMO since it has been shown that both violence and sex has always had more to do with the lower socioeconomic background than their taste in music/movies/games etc.
arkebuzer
mceejaydee wrote:
All you rap hating people READ this now. Good rap is still here today. Talib Kweli, Mos Def and alot of underground rappers.

Rap DOES NOT
-Promote violence
-Promote alcohol
-Promote drugs
-Promote sex
-Promote gangbanging

What you were listening too was fake unreal rap. Need examples?
50 Cent, Yung Joc, Paul Wall. Basically new rap out there today.

The reason why people listen to rap is NOT because they think they will be cool. People listen to rap because they want to listen to some poetry. To dance too, and music to listen to.

I listen to rock and rap. I found that they're the same thing, but most of rap is exploited by ****** and whatnot.

I'm done, it's just so annoying defending rap. We can't stop all the haters but we can stop a couple.

Some people think all rap are about money, sex and drugs
Some people think all rock are about worshipping satan and killing yourself

Now don't talk crap about a music genre if you never had the chance to listen in on it.

Also, have you guys ever noticed that people who hate rap can't say it next to the stereotypical "gangsta" but they feel more comfortable saying it online. I used to hate rap soooo freakin much and I know how you guys feel because most of the music I listened too came from MTV. I started learning about Tupac and started to love rap. Now i'm here defending rap.

I´m not saying you are wrong. After all I dont have any genuine knowledge of rap, and I dont intend to change that fact Wink
But if you watch the rap videos at MTW they are just full of sex, violence and drugs/alcohol.
I´m (once again) not saying that´s what rap is all about, but that´s what people see when they turn on their TV, and that´s why people think like that about rap.
On the other hand MTW wouldn´t show that kind of rap if it wasnt cuz it sells good and people want to see it. So even though there might be better artists out there with another kind of rap, this is what we get.
michaelr1992
I agree, some rap can do that to you. Some rap, however, is alot different. Its not all like that.
spaz-o
I think it's all just because of the rap image. People that like the music feel the need to live up to the expectations, and that's what's the problem. Everyone's too insecure to just be themselves and like what appeals to them because others disagree or don't approve.

By trying to look hardcore to all their friends they end up getting messed up in all sorts of crap. It's not just rap, it's everything in life where people feel the need to prove themselves or have a good image. And what's worse is that it's not gonna end. Everyone always judges and everyone hates being judged. No one's above it.

If only people weren't so stupid.
todabeat
^^^ True. You got right on the spot.
TheGeek
I agree with one of the posters on page 1 of this whole debockle. You can not really just blame one sort of music, including rap, on some of the violence in society without blaming the media and society as a whole.

It is sort of like how after the columbine(SP) shootings in the late 90's happened, they blamed the kid's actions on Marilyn Manson's music influencing them to kill their students. In fact, they proved later that it was how the kids had been treated in school that caused this to happen, they only listened to this music because that is the way that they were feeling about the students in their school already.

I think that rap in many respects is the same way. People who listen to rap for the lyrics often are from the inner city and can relate to what the artist is talking about or the artist is singing about the high life in which the listener wants to obtain.

You could start steriotyping saying that, people who wear black and makeup listen to Marilyn Manson. People who are black, wear oversized clothing and drive cars with wheels so big and so shiny that they can mount an in car television and not even need a satelite dish to pick up channels listen to rap music. And people who drive big trucks, drink beer and go fishing listen to country music. However, most of these people did not get their lifestyles from the music they listen to, its actually quite the opposite in that most people are attracted to music that expresses the way they feel or the way they live already.

(hope that made sense, I have ADD that causes me to not be able to form sentences or long essays in a mannor that often makes sense Embarassed )
mceejaydee
Well said TheGeek. Very true about what you said.
niitdn-diendan
what???have no anyboby post music for listen it???
djphil
it burns me up inside when people wanna blame the way the world is on something as lil as rap music.."i mean come on." you got these people that don't like "rap" music because it is "black" music. you cannot put rap music into one box...rap is 20 different boxes...where was rap music when slavery happened? where was rap music when presidents were being assassinated, where the hell was rap music when the europeans came to america and took it over....america is messed up no matter what people hear. i do know for a fact that if rap music was created by white people there wouldn't be any fuss about it..quit looking for something to blame instead of lookin in the mirror..
peaceninja
i think rap music is still evolving and developing, just as rock has evolved and developed and has since removed its initial stigmas.

i'm willing to bet that rap music is enjoyed by a larger number of younger people than older people. it's just another genre that's developing that is more easily embraced by a younger generation.

tying it to violence is a natural reaction by those who do not like rap music. there's some rap out there that thats not as 'hardcore ghetto'...
deStructuralized
It's true that hip-hop appeals to younger kids more than older listeners, but, what should be remembered is that this is probably because it's a very young genre.

I don't mean young as in it targets a younger demographic, but young as in, it's less than 20 or 30 years old.

It's getting to a point where older listeners can enjoy the music though. Some MCs rap about adulthood and do a good job of portraying a mature image. Jay-Z's latest CD is a good example.
todabeat
You got it, it's true it appeals more to a younger audience. So what does that tell you, that parents should be more aweare in what their kids listen to. Weather it's rap that is telling them to become gang members, or rock music telling them to cut their writst or country telling to go and buy cows. I dunno. But just becuase a certain artsit is inside this rap category doesnt mean parent should discard it or toss it in the trash, you can always listen to it first and judge it. But a lot of hip hop music isnt trashtalker or gangbanger.

Check out this web site
http://acesshiphop.com they have the biggest collection on underground rap music.

For example the cd that has been on my mp3 player is "Zion I and The Grouch" City of Dope.

I love this album, There is a track in there which talk about appriciating women for that they are, not as tool. It has a GREAt beat and catchy rhymes.

There is another track called "trains planes" that talks about traveling the world. and its a great song.

So this is why i beg of you not to discard hip hop as whole. But as artist. There might me a couple of underground rapper, that talk about smoking marihuana, but who hasnt really.
Illionaire
I agree with most of the posts so far. Everything I wanted to say after reading the original post has already been said. I just think it would benefit everybody to avoid dividing and stereotyping. There are certain artists from every genre that are violent and promote negative messages, not just one or two genres.

I do not think it is right to say that rap is inherently violent. All music is an expression of feelings and emotions. The fact that all rap music has been perceived as having a violent message is unfortunate considering there are thousands of intelligent rap artists, who are expressing themselves, and telling stories through there music much like every other kind of music out there.
love2infekt
In all reality you can't put peoples problems and actions cause of music they listen to. For example, the whole Columbine incident where they blamed the shooters for listening to bands like Marilyn Manson and other bands along that "stereo typing" genre.

I listen to that type of genre and all but you do not see me trying to do the same thing as they did and more. In my opinion, I would say it is based on what your actions and intents are cause of common sense and such. Most people always want to find something else to blame things on when I do believe the ones they should blame is themselves but that is my opinion so do not scold me for it. Smile
J-More
no idea if any poster before me has written about this I for one don't like rap, I don't like the lifestyles rappers protray themselves as having in music videos etc. but I honestly disagree with the blame being put on the music... okay it might be part of it but there is obviously a multitude of things that cause people to be violent. The music may be a partial cause but is it not the person who has no mind to control their own actions when they hear mister "Ismakmybitchesnhoes" rhyming about things like mistreatment of women and then they go out and beat the shit out of their girlfriend, sister , etc. I for one blame the people that think they can blame the music. You need to also take into account the fact that some people are just plain violent...

But thats just my two cents.
themarauder
you cannot blame rap just because of same misguided people who think their all gangsta. A lot of rap is good and what u see on MTV is just what sells better. there is a lot of awesome uerground rap still out there. Im pretty sure when rock came out with its headbanging, the parents of that generation ould have said the same the that the parents of this generation are saying about rap.
TripleSicx707
I guarantee that theres more then Rap Music that promotes the results of those statistics. I for one listen to almost nothing but Rap. And dont think my response is biased because iam a Rap listener
im not emo
yeah rap music is horrid. i hate it. a lot. and the whole "ppl that listen to rap tend to be not-so-good" thing, I AGREE. and it makes sense. i mean, turn on MTV or something and watch the rappers in the news-- they're all getting arrested for drinking and doing drugs and stuff like that. and then they're promoting this stuff. it's crazy.

the world will end soon, and i'm gonna blame the rappers. anyone else?
DeviousRiders
im not emo wrote:
yeah rap music is horrid. i hate it. a lot. and the whole "ppl that listen to rap tend to be not-so-good" thing, I AGREE. and it makes sense. i mean, turn on MTV or something and watch the rappers in the news-- they're all getting arrested for drinking and doing drugs and stuff like that. and then they're promoting this stuff. it's crazy.

the world will end soon, and i'm gonna blame the rappers. anyone else?

.... dont u see wat else is on da news no u look for shit that is not bad about ur music.
DeviousRiders
todabeat wrote:
You got it, it's true it appeals more to a younger audience. So what does that tell you, that parents should be more aweare in what their kids listen to. Weather it's rap that is telling them to become gang members, or rock music telling them to cut their writst or country telling to go and buy cows. I dunno. But just becuase a certain artsit is inside this rap category doesnt mean parent should discard it or toss it in the trash, you can always listen to it first and judge it. But a lot of hip hop music isnt trashtalker or gangbanger.

Check out this web site
http://acesshiphop.com they have the biggest collection on underground rap music.

For example the cd that has been on my mp3 player is "Zion I and The Grouch" City of Dope.

I love this album, There is a track in there which talk about appriciating women for that they are, not as tool. It has a GREAt beat and catchy rhymes.

There is another track called "trains planes" that talks about traveling the world. and its a great song.

So this is why i beg of you not to discard hip hop as whole. But as artist. There might me a couple of underground rapper, that talk about smoking marihuana, but who hasnt really.

that is wat tupac did in the song keep your head up. but also he has some songs that are well not well for children
i have my nefue lisin to dis shiz everytime i get in my car and dose he act like a gang banga nahh the only on in my familia is me ok and thats becoues i chose to be one not that rap made me go for it ok rap is not a force that makes me do the shit i do. my nefue ****** 9 yrs old lisens to rap and he is gettin stright A's thro school and not getin in trobile
spaz-o
I think people are quick to point the finger at rap because it's so blatently objectional. I'm not saying its bad, just not for the impressional minds of small kids and I think that's the biggest problem - young kids are being exposed to the mainstream rap that's showing half-naked women dancing for men, swearing (yes, it is beeped out, but we all know what they're saying) and such.

But if you're gonna point the finger at rap you've also gotta point it to punk, metal and pop.
Punk encourages rebellion and anarchy. Now that in itself isn't bad, but it is when you have a bunch of dumbass 13-year-olds thinking it's so punk-rock to beat someone up and roll them (I've heard multipul stories of this) or to get lots of piercings and drink.
Metal speaks of death and destruction. It talks about suicides, murders and sometimes rapes. Everything dark in life is expressed through metal. And let's face it, to a 10 year old metal's downright scary.
Pop is laced with overly sexy and underdressed women. Little girls grow up seeing that the girls that're loose and slutty are successful. They'll take this everywhere they go and just end up wrecked.

You can't point the finger, because it's just the way the world is. Things that were considered totally unaccpetable are now allowed on prime time TV. It's a slow decline, but it's a group effort.
bigdan
What the hell?

You don't have to listen to rap music. You do have a choice in life.

No need to censor things for the majority because a minority believes that certain things are wrong to them.
achowles
Well erm.... you do realise that it's been like that for about two decades now, don't you?

True, the focus of the music is not only entirely negative, but encourages seeing those negative things in a positive light.

Rap music may be born out of a culture, but due to it's mass commercialism of the industry it's spawned, the attitudes and lifestyles they're endorsing have spread.

So yes, in the case of impressionable kids, you're bound to see them being influenced.

But then another way of looking at it is that the ones that chose to listen to it most likely did so because they could relate to it. Because they felt a connection to it. In other words, those tenancies were probably there anyway.
raponerecords
Although some rap music is violent it is in the genre "gangsta rap" but not all rap is "gangsta rap" there is a new wave of philiosophical rap , love rap etc. I actually write philosophical rap and I am working on love rap song.
Dont get fooled by stereotypes
mimsxmassacre
After studying 522 black girls between the ages of 14 and 18 from non-urban, lower socioeconomic neighborhoods, researchers found that compared to those who never or rarely watched these videos, the girls who viewed these gangsta videos for at least 14 hours per week were far more likely to practice numerous destructive behaviors. Over the course of the one-year study, they were:

* 1.5 times more likely to get a sexually transmitted disease, use drugs, or drink alcohol.

"What is particularly alarming about our findings is that we didn't find an association with just violence or one or two risky behaviors," says researcher Ralph J. DiClemente, PhD, of Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health. "We found an association with a string of these behaviors."

i still think DEATH metal promotes death more than rap music
liljp617
Yes, just like the Internet, video games, TV, rocknroll, etc. The list goes on. People who refuse to take responsibility are the people who blame other crap like music. Here's a nice line from an Eminem song:

"They say music can alter moods and talk to you, well, can it load a gun up for you and c o c k it too? If it can, then the next time you assault a dude, just tell the judge it was me and I'll get sued."

The fact of the matter is, the majority of rap (NOT ALL) does not promote violence/sex etc., it simply does not denounce it. If people want to continue to blame music/movies/video games and so on for the problems of society, then the problem will never be solved. Society was just as ****** up before rap came into play, so how can anyone honestly say these are the causes of rampant violence, sex, drug use? It's not. People should open their eyes a bit.

You know what is ruining youth? Poverty. The lack of a stable family and home life. A government that doesn't take care of its people. No role models because good role models don't sell in the corporate world. Perhaps if people worried more about not getting divorces or having moms/dads run out, things would be better. Perhaps if the people who wish to censor rap would look around and see thousands of people laying on side walks, problems might get solved. Rap music merely reflects society...that is the root of rap music (the artists are generally telling their own stories or stories that relate to what they saw growing up). To blame rap is no different than people saying rocknroll is a tool of Satan. It's taking the easy way out; pointing fingers has always been easier than saying "this is my fault."

And to anyone who thinks rap music has zero good messages and does nothing but cause problems, look a little deeper than MTV/VH1.
pythagore
i love rap and im somtiems voilent when some one disturb me
kiran_n444
i dont believe so, its not lke their telling us to do anything. its your choice.
pet-virus
Dwyer17 wrote:
Why did this topic all of a sudden turn spanish? Crazy frihost forums. Any ways, why are you all talking about eminem and jay-z, eminem sucks ok, n jay-z is weak, kinda lame. I don't think rap music makes people violent. Maybe it's just that violent people listen to rap music. Well, more or less. There are plenty of straight up pussies that listen to rap music, and I don't see much of them being very violent. Well, w/e. I like rap music anyways.

I personally think that there is no doubt. No one seems to understand how easily influenced today's youth are... and when they see and hear this kind of trash, there's nothing stopping them from thinking perhaps this is the way they should be.
liljp617
pet-virus wrote:
Dwyer17 wrote:

I personally think that there is no doubt. No one seems to understand how easily influenced today's youth are... and when they see and hear this kind of trash, there's nothing stopping them from thinking perhaps this is the way they should be.

Then ban the news stations, ban movies, ban Internet, ban video games, ban books, ban society....it's a matter of parenting, not entertainment.

It has little to do with youth being impressionable, it has everything to do with homes with one parent working two jobs and trying to raise a kid in the midst of working and fending for themselves. The downfall of society has nothing to do with entertainment values. It has everything to do with the corrupt, corroding structure of normal/nuclear families. It has everything to do with poverty. It has everything to do with 16 year olds having sex because their parents didn't teach them better, then those 16 year olds do a terrible job raising the kid...and it goes on from there in a, what appears to be, endless cycle.

Don't give me this crap that music is the problem with society. They said the exact same thing with rock n roll, they said the same thing when erotic/violent books started springing up, they're saying the exact same thing with video games, etc. It's a joke...a joke that, unfortunately, the media controls and it gets embedded into a lot of people's minds. It's a matter of blaming something else so it appears we're doing something to improve ourselves when we're simply ignoring the root of the problems.

Violence and behavior of this nature has gone on since the beginning of history as we know it. So, I ask you, how could music possibly be a major factor in what we see today when rape, murder, drug use, alcoholism, etc. have gone on since the dawn of time?

I suppose you think that people like Marilyn Manson and Slipknot were, in some way, personally responsible for Columbine? How could anyone with a normal IQ be that gullible and feed so deep into the medias sack of shit?

It's hilarious, because this is what the media and political leaders do as opposed to getting down and really solving the issue (or at least attempting to solve it). Instead, we point fingers at Eminem or Tupac because they say a few cuss words and talk about some drugs.

IDEA: How about, instead of blaming entertainment from Hollywood and music organizations, we look in the mirror and realize our own damn faults? How about we go to the nearest urban area and walk around the poor parts of the cities? Maybe then, instead of pulling this petty shit about music being the root of society's problems, we'll progress before our ****** species is gone.
roxys_art
Rap music makes people violent? Well, I also heard death metal, video games, TV, movies, and books also make people violent. Wait, what's the common factor in all of those? Oh...they all have people involved.

Look, I listened to rap when I was younger. I don't really like it anymore, but I would never say that rap music makes people respond violent. How is this relationship even made? Seriously, I am asking because I would like to know. It doesn't make much sense to me. Sure it might have caused artists to kill each other for running their mouths on a song (2Pac, Biggie), but how this would cause a person to act violent I have no idea.

People just like to blame everything else. No. It's people that are the problem. Maybe we should just ban people...
The Mitchell
rap music does not make people violent. it does not make people carry guns. it does not make people take drugs. people who already have this sort of disposition will do these sorts of things anyway. hence they enjoy music that talks about it. just as goths like depressing music most of the time because theyre depressing people. (hehe just kiddin sorry goths) but nah seriously music doesnt make people do shit. people make people do shit. music just tends to fit in with those trends.
catscratches
If you're not interesten in violence and such stuff in the first place then you propably won't listen to music about it. And if listen anyways then you propably don't care about the lyrics. (Which doesn't really makes sence talking about rap, but with other genres.)
Coffyfacemk2
It's like the wise and learned Goldie Looking Chain say:

Guns don't kill people, Rappers do!

(from bristol zoo, to B&Q)

and everyone knows My Chemical Romance make people slit their wrists.

It's true, they did a study and everything. With monkeys.

Poor dead monkeys
GeorgeArauz
The new rap music (crap rap) is nothing more than a bunch of jerks saying "im richer than your man, middle finger to the police, lets get our drink on, you need to be with me rather than your boyfriend, and lets go have sex so i can "superman" you hoe".
Its crap, and ive noticed that working in corrections that 98 percent of those in the jail are all trying to live that lifestyle that they see and hear on the radio and videos. Its pretty damn sad. Yet the radio stations play that stuff all the time and nobody says nothing about it.
liljp617
GeorgeArauz wrote:
The new rap music (crap rap) is nothing more than a bunch of jerks saying "im richer than your man, middle finger to the police, lets get our drink on, you need to be with me rather than your boyfriend, and lets go have sex so i can "superman" you hoe".
Its crap, and ive noticed that working in corrections that 98 percent of those in the jail are all trying to live that lifestyle that they see and hear on the radio and videos. Its pretty damn sad. Yet the radio stations play that stuff all the time and nobody says nothing about it.

People were living those lifestyles long before rap was even created. There goes your argument. And actually a lot of people speak out against present day rap...even many people who are fans of rap recognize it is hardly worth listening to.
deStructuralized
Nah, rap music on the radio sucks, no argument there. lol
Jaan
Firstly, who watches "gangsta" videos for 14 hrs per week? They must be tards, cause real people are there for the music. And a large proportion of the so called "gangsta" videos suck, there's rarely good rap/hip hop music that's "popular" enough to have a music video.
swizzy
Rap is just another music genre, we cant be biased and simply generalize it to be violent, there are quite a lot love, relationship and other songs which are of the hiphop style..
fpwebs
I wouldn't really say if it's the actual rap songs that make other people violent. It could possibly be the way that people take the lyrics. There are many rap songs that are completely pointless and for some reason are drawing in money with their "rape", "sex", and "killing" in their lyrics. Everyone should know that when they talk about that stuff, most of it isn't even true. If that information were true then they wouldn't be able to make the songs in the first place, they would be in jail or perhaps even dead! Instead of doing a study on whether or not rap music affects individuals, but why not do a study on what would sell BETTER than the drugs, alcohol and violence and try to eradicate all the violence in today's society. Why not do a study on WHY it affects the individuals in the first place? We waste our time trying to solve for answers we don't really need when we should be focusing on the real matter. -The way to destroy something is by going to the beginning source!-
deStructuralized
^
As far as I know, "rape" is a pretty uncommon one, unless it's in a negative, "this is terrible" sort of context...
liljp617
fpwebs wrote:
I wouldn't really say if it's the actual rap songs that make other people violent. It could possibly be the way that people take the lyrics. There are many rap songs that are completely pointless and for some reason are drawing in money with their "rape", "sex", and "killing" in their lyrics. Everyone should know that when they talk about that stuff, most of it isn't even true. If that information were true then they wouldn't be able to make the songs in the first place, they would be in jail or perhaps even dead! Instead of doing a study on whether or not rap music affects individuals, but why not do a study on what would sell BETTER than the drugs, alcohol and violence and try to eradicate all the violence in today's society. Why not do a study on WHY it affects the individuals in the first place? We waste our time trying to solve for answers we don't really need when we should be focusing on the real matter. -The way to destroy something is by going to the beginning source!-

Well, if one is truly into rap for more than just the nice beats and the ability to dance to, there's quite a bit of motivational, morally founded, good rap available. It's the simple fact that it doesn't get air time on the radio/TV...and so it gets lost in the background to everyone except those who search for it.

Also, it's rare for songs about rape and cold blooded murder (unless they're telling some story with a message in it or denouncing it) to get on the radio due to recent regulations. There's also not a TON of rappers who go for that type of language anymore either. It was a lot like that for a while and the stereotype took off, but it's hardly reality in more with rap. Yeah they talk about guns and cuss etc. but they're just talking about what they grew up around. Rap is the only genre I know of that truly sticks to its roots...and that is the streets where these rappers grew up every day.

Anyway, I'm quite sure there are dozens of studies going on about human behavior and why certain things appeal to humans the way they do Razz The studies have been going on for years. There's not really a way to come to a conclusion however, considering every person is different, thinks different, acts different, etc. (once you get past the necessities of life of course).
mikedonn71
I'm sure rap music does cause some kids - the stupid ones - to become more violent and to engage in other destructive behaviors like group sex, for instance. I admit that I HATE rap music with a passion, but to blame it for human decay is pretty naive.

In the '60s, the Beatles inspired smart people to start groups and create art. Manson, on the other hand, had other ideas, but he was a redneck from Arkansas. Chances are he would have gotten the same messages from country or bluegrass music.

Prison more likely shaped Manson's behavior much like it inspires the behaviors of the kids from the inner city. Kids in the inner city are surrounded by many adults, who've been to prison lots of times and enjoyed it. These adults introduce the kids to drugs like crack and molest them in many cases.

No need for rap to destroy your personality. Rape does a much better job.

Blaming music is irresponsible. If you're going to hate rap music, hate it because it sounds horrible. Don't hate it based on fake b.s.
Elefant
Well, I must say its destroying my ears. Gah, for like 4 months STRAIGHT all I heard was "Soulja boi up in this ho" or some sh*t like that.

As in destroying our youth? Probably not as much as the so called "Reality TV", but its not helping any with the lets-sex-all-the-time-and-steal-TVs lyrics...

Seriously "Let me buy you a drank"? WTF is that? Past tense?

"Pop, Lock, and Drop it", You know what the heck they're talkin about there no need for discussion

And the constant repetition can't be good... at all

Elefant
deStructuralized
Really? You let that go on for four whole months, huh?

You know, for everyone complaining about MTV or the radio...there really is a simple answer here.

STOP LISTENING TO BROADCASTS.

I don't mean "if you don't like it well why are you listening to it?"

I mean "if you don't like it, why are giving these stupid Top 40 radio stations the idea that you do by contributing to their audience size, ad sales, and cash flow?"

Everybody wants to complain about the state of "commercial" music, but no one's ever willing to give up the background noise that's oh so conveniently shat onto their eardrums on an hourly basis. And you REALIZE that you're letting these bastards get paid to just rotate the same forty (usually 10) songs over and over again.

Because it's NOT just rap. It's pop stations. Rock stations. Rap stations. Stop being lazy, turn them all off and go to your local record store, and start feeding yourself. And maybe, just MAYBE, you'll find that there's more to that genre you despise than the three songs you've heard on repeat for half a year.

Works for me.
TheNightClan
i think rap musioc is BAAAAAD i mean its barley music, theres a little rhyme that goes

R etards
A ttempting
P oetry

this isnt the most true thing ive heard because rap isnt even poetry and the 'rappers' are just like "yeah im cool MATE?!" and its just eughk ... thats the only word i cant hink off for it
Vladalf
In rap they talk about violence, drugs, sex etc. and it affecs some young people but rappers just make a living with this music, they shouldn't be considered 'gangsters'.
I see more and more people cuting their skin and watching how they bleed while listening to 'emo' music and people that make 10000 piercings on their face. Thay's worser than rap no offence.
-Vladalf

Anyways what is the 'emo' music? Punk?
liljp617
TheNightClan wrote:
i think rap musioc is BAAAAAD i mean its barley music, theres a little rhyme that goes

R etards
A ttempting
P oetry

this isnt the most true thing ive heard because rap isnt even poetry and the 'rappers' are just like "yeah im cool MATE?!" and its just eughk ... thats the only word i cant hink off for it

Way to stereotype...
deStructuralized
TheNightClan wrote:

R etards
A ttempting
P oetry

1. That doesn't rhyme.
2. What is this "barley music" and can I get some at my local Whole Foods?
Kocur14
I used to listen to rap and these "******" with water melons under armpits. After some time I know that they make some brainwash: guns, bullets, sex, drugs, ganja, and everything worst. I have listened to rac for a year and I don't hear urban terrorists which kills me by their vocal.
hackertorrent
i think rap is good for now days where people dont hv so much time for the listen the hole old music and enjoy them raps are short hip hop so people can enjoy them
as they have that kind of time .........
but that not means that i am against all other music basically i am a fan of soft romantic music but it is true that people dont have some time to listen them enjoy the sweetness of those songs ..........people arranged their time for buisness and other money making thinks they have money but nothing for spend so .........thats their life in a metro city .............
rts365
i hate rap "music" and unfortunatly it defines my generation
roxys_art
If you have parents or people acting in a parental role, violence on video games, rap music, any kind of music, TV, movies, etc. won't matter. You are taught right from wrong, and so you know that shooting somebody because "you heard it in a song" or "saw it on TV" is wrong.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. How is it an artist's fault? Were they there to pull the trigger? Nope. The problem is that the people that should have been there (parents) were not there to teach them right from wrong.
supjapscrapper
Dwyer17 wrote:

This giuy has it all right, you shouldn't mix rap with what you see on MTV, Rap has become like everything else in the music business. See what Rock and roll has become. Groups like Green day are an exception. But I would say the reach that rock and roll has allows the real spirited groups to come to the top, and not the ones that producers and critics select as the best for them, to come to the top. Rap has it a lot harder, only a certain rap business mafia controls what comes on air. Real rap, the underground rap, can be violent, very violent. It's a lifestyle.
supjapscrapper
Now my own answer to all this is very biased since I absolutely hate rap. But I try to take enough perspective to make a judgment here. Rap as a whole is not more agressive than anything else. people who make it are aggressive and for good reasons, If you have a look at where rap comes from, who raps, in which cities, what the content is, what the "message" is... you would understand that rap or no rap these people and all of those who live in the same context as them already have this anger in them, and that rap is only bringing it to the surface. Nobody accuses some death metal or gore metal genres of being the cause for stanic rituals and people killings (ok, there has been a wave of heavy accusations in the media in Italy 2 years ago, but I am speaking about something large-scale).
liljp617
supjapscrapper wrote:
Now my own answer to all this is very biased since I absolutely hate rap. But I try to take enough perspective to make a judgment here. Rap as a whole is not more agressive than anything else. people who make it are aggressive and for good reasons, If you have a look at where rap comes from, who raps, in which cities, what the content is, what the "message" is... you would understand that rap or no rap these people and all of those who live in the same context as them already have this anger in them, and that rap is only bringing it to the surface. Nobody accuses some death metal or gore metal genres of being the cause for stanic rituals and people killings (ok, there has been a wave of heavy accusations in the media in Italy 2 years ago, but I am speaking about something large-scale).

-.- Not all rap is about keeping the black man down, living in the ghetto hearing gunshots at night, selling drugs, jumping people, shooting people over money, cars, clothes, etc. There is literally hundreds to thousands of motivational rap songs that are merely a means of speaking out against humanities current state. Not all rap is aggressive and there is plenty of rap to be found that has absolutely no violence or aggressiveness in it and simply encourages people to be their best.

The thing is, people who are opposed to rap already have their dead set opinion of it ready when they see a discussion about it or hear it (I would say you fit right in that based on your first sentence). You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear...simple as that. If I wanted to, I could find CD after CD of music from other genres that is 10x more violent and aggressive than any rap CD you'll ever hear. If I took the metal genre in general, I could show you song after song about violence, rape, murder, drugs, sex, you name it. Would it be good for me to base my ENTIRE opinion of a huge genre like metal off a minority of the songs? No. So why is it okay to do that for rap? It's okay because people are unwilling to actually look past MTV/VH1/Radio music to find the real rap..not the rap that's strictly about getting famous and buying gold chains and big rims. If people were unwilling to look deeper into rock or metal these days, the situation would be the same; rock music would still be the work of the devil as it was when it first appeared and it would be stereotyped as a genre for sex and drugs. But it's not...because people actually invested some time into finding the good music in that genre.
thegoswebs
I don't really support to much rap music since a lot of it is just a bunch of pointless garbage that you listen to with no reason to support something that there lyrics can't even make sense of. But you can't judge someone by what they listen to, so what they listen to rap but that doesn't mean they are going to be destructive. It's not the fact that the rap music themselves are the cause of it but rather the society really doesn't know how to take care of not paying attention to what they listen to. So some rapper says they... mmm this mmmm but it really doesn't mean you have to believe it. A lot of people don't know what they are doing when they listen to since they really take everything to seriously.
rapfan
I've been listening to rap for about over 13 years and i'm 15 years old. My criminal record is clean, my schools pernament record is clean (except for one dumb incident) and i'm a nice guy.

Now not all people are like this. Some kids worship these artists to the point where nothing else in the world matters except for their lyrics. Now hearing 50 Cent rap about blasting fools or seeing Arnold Shwartzanagger gun down a whole police station is a whole lot different then actaully pulling the trigger yourself. It takes a cold mind and a black whole heart to commit such acts. Some kids are just naturally ****** or crazy and those kids are rare and should have parents that have their kids avoid violent entertainment. And that's what it is ENTERTAINMENT!!
rockstar
The 1st rap I came across was way back in the late 70s/early 80s. Disco was on its last legs and they needed something to fill the space in their music, because all that there was a basically a rhythm, a bass line and a few lines sung repeatedly. Rap, in its basis, is just talking in rhyme over a rhythm.
I don't think anyone killed anyone for listening to the words of Kid Creole and the Coconuts! (google it kids).
Does music kill? NO! Can words influence people? YES! Who is easily influenced? YOUNG PEOPLE!

I guess that sums it up!
kilotun
I hate rap and r&b and all of that stuff. it is not music it is only some fool in a studio saying pathetic words to try to impress you. which are violent and in most cases idiotic slang words put together that they think sounds cool. i have no more to say except it is pathetic and it is not music.
liljp617
kilotun wrote:
I hate rap and r&b and all of that stuff. it is not music it is only some fool in a studio saying pathetic words to try to impress you. which are violent and in most cases idiotic slang words put together that they think sounds cool. i have no more to say except it is pathetic and it is not music.

+1 to the ignorance score!!

I'm a metalhead at heart, but it's pure stupidity and ignorance to 1) Say hip hop isn't music 2) There are no positive messages or good story telling, if you will, in hip hop.

Similarly, I could say someone growling and yelling into a microphone isn't music, it's just noise. And that would be a stupid, ignorant thing to say.

The thing is, you heard some music on the radio and you've heard the stereotypes, so you just thought that's the way things are. Fair enough, most people are too lazy to look into genres they don't like. Instead they see the surface and think the whole genre is an exact replica of the stereotype. If you want to voice your opinion, at least show you've actually attempted to look past MTV and the radio. Most mainstream music in any genre is terrible (even current rock), that doesn't mean the whole genre is terrible.

In short, there is more to rap than 50 Cent, Soulja Boy, and Lil Wayne...if you're too lazy to attempt to look past that, you probably shouldn't comment on a genre of MUSIC.
warriorpoets
I'm not a huge rap fan, but I'll never say there's no art in it. It's a rhythmic poetry that sometimes can carry a very pertinent message. Sometimes it tells it the way it is... and sometimes it isn't pretty.

I'm more of a metal/punk/country/rock/alternative/rockabilly/industrial/trance/classical/whatever-sounds-good-to-me-this-week-and-sometimes-is-rap sort of guy but uh... yeah.

I don't listen to rap on the radio, but if a friend of mine recommends something I'll try it out, and if I like it, I'll add it to my collection and listen from time to time.
Lachrymose
[quote="S3nd K3ys"]There have been a few studies put out about how rap music makes people violent.

WebMD wrote:

First of all, i would like to see what they called the control group to this scenario. How can you say that the cause of their violent behavior results to the type of music they listen to. Secondly, it mentions girls from the ages 14 through 18 as the test sample, which we should all know from any health class that we have taken, that this is a very unstable period for adolescence. Next, I would like to point out that the sample group also came from a "lower socioeconomic neighborhoods" which represents yet other bias in this research. Also, i would appreciate it if you can show me a valid correlation study between violence and the type and amount of TV watched.

Thanks.
shindig
This thread was created by S3nd K3ys, so you know it's more about flames than facts.

Rewind 50 years and rock'n'roll's hip thrusting Elvis was supposed to be the devil, set to lure an entire generation into degenerate behaviour from which they would never return...

...but our grandparents turned out fine.
daefommicc
DeviousRiders wrote:
LETS GO BACK TO THIS

deStructuralized wrote:

Blaster wrote:
la mayor parte de la gente que vende las drogas es la gente que escucha esta música… iguales con el teh unos que lo fumen. .
Laughing
muertes del rodillo de la roca n, Wikipedia wrote:

Alan Wilson (calor conservado) - suicidio o sobredosis accidental de la heroína , 3 de septiembre de 1970 en la barranca de Topanga, California Jimi Hendrix - sobredosis del barbitúrico , 18 de septiembre de 1970 en Londres, Inglaterra Janis Joplin - sobredosis de la heroína , 4 de octubre de 1970 en Los Ángeles, California Parsons del gramo - sobredosis de la droga , 19 de septiembre de 1973 en el árbol de Joshua, California Mella Drake - suicidio o sobredosis accidental , 25 de noviembre de 1974 adentro Tanworth-en-Arden, Inglaterra Tim Buckley - sobredosis de la heroína , 29 de junio de 1975 Gary Thain - (Uriah Heep) - sobredosis de la droga , 8 de diciembre de 1975 Tommy Bolin (de color morado oscuro, la cuadrilla de James, Zephyr) - sobredosis de la heroína , 4 de diciembre de 1976 La luna de Keith - (que) overdose en Heminevrin, 7 Sep de 1978 en Londres, Inglaterra Sid vicioso - (suicidio de las pistolas del sexo) o sobredosis accidental , 2 de febrero de 1979 en New York City, Nueva York Juan Bonham (Zeppelin conducido) - consumición excesiva del alcohol , 25 Sep de 1980 en Windsor, Inglaterra Explosiones de Lester (solo) - sobredosis de la droga , 30 Abr de 1982 en Nueva York, NY David Byron (Uriah Heep) - complicaciones alcohol-relacionadas, 28 de febrero de 1985 en la lectura, Berkshire, Inglaterra Phil Lynott (Lizzy fino) - sobredosis accidental , 4 de enero de 1986 en Salisbury, Wiltshire, Inglaterra Hillel Eslovaco - sobredosis accidental , 25 de junio de 1988 en Los Ángeles, California Sobredosis de la droga de David Ruffin (tentaciones, a solas) - el 1 de junio de 1991 en Philadelphia, PA Sobredosis accidental de Nowell del alfilerillo (sublimar) - , 25 de mayo de 1996 Jonatán Melvoin (calabazas sensacionales) - sobredosis accidental , junio el 11 de julio de 1996 Jonatán Melvoin (calabazas sensacionales) - sobredosis accidental , junio el 11 de julio de 1996
Ése es todo lo que tengo que decir. La mayor parte de la gente de la materia está escribiendo sobre rap adentro aquí es falsedades basadas en el 5% de gente del rap consigue ver en MTV y oír en la radio. Continuar.

ahora deja para ver uno de asnos de u leer esto

ok i get u... (hell no. why is this person posting in *what???*)
daefommicc
kilotun wrote:

yeah it is pathetic but it wud b kind of ignorant to not call it music. its not dat rapping does not require talent but losers like 50cent, jayz talk bout shit, makin it look cool, makin it look as if they r our messiahs. "look we have sex wid a new gal everyday... muhahaha" they r sending out a wrong message.
daefommicc
Marston wrote:
This is a pretty sensationalist thread... Razz

copy that
daefommicc
mimsxmassacre wrote:

i still think DEATH metal promotes death more than rap music

i think people judge it wrong when they say "death metal is metal that speaks about death"... death metal had its name from its founding band "death"... (previously it was called death's metal bcoz the metal they played was unique and ddnt fall into any category) i will not say that death metal does not speak about suicides but the point is, the message they want to convey is not "kill yourself". death metal songs give you a hope... sort of saying that u r not d only one to go thru this... every1 goes thru a low phase in life... suicide is not the solution. i have never seen a rap artist saying that...
HerbalTree
I enjoy listening to rap. The study has an OBVIOUS bias since the test subjects are "black girls from low socioeconomic neighborhoods." That means these young girls from impoverished neighborhoods are then being compared to the average person? What a boguous study....
flytye4life
I disagree with this idea. I think that alot of other factors in society contribute to the increasing violence on our city streets. Drug trade, joblessness, single parents household, lack of structure and discipline in the home are all factors. Children don't have visible role models. I also think that society frowning on physically disciplining your kids is a catalyst. Children don't fear repercussion from their actions and are alot less accountable for delinquent behavior.
flytye4life
I agree 150% with this statement. Environment is a bigger issue than rap because these communities had violence before rap started becoming an acceptable genre. Remeber the Watts riots. Remember all gangs of the 60's.
HerbalTree wrote:
I enjoy listening to rap. The study has an OBVIOUS bias since the test subjects are "black girls from low socioeconomic neighborhoods." That means these young girls from impoverished neighborhoods are then being compared to the average person? What a boguous study....
abemon16
I don't think that rap increases violence at all. Just because you listen to something doesn't mean your going to do it. I listen to rap all the time, and I haven't killed anyone. I think that rap is almost like a scapegoat for some violence, just because they can't find anything else to blame it on.
RipperGOD
No I don't think so!
Why you just see slang/abuses used? Why not things that it shows reality and practical things in life.
It criticizes many issues corruption, politics!......Talking about politics here is one verse my friend just wrote.......

Quote:
Its the same time again, here comes the speeches
No feelin for our pain, except the rich n powerful, there are no reaches
Livin in 'em mansions, luxury being served by bitches, while we're still stuck in the ditches
Funding terrorism, ****** imperialism, reporters sold their souls over televisions!

- Navan

If those who think rap is not good than I think that should think over it again!
facebookturkey
mattchun wrote:
Nope, the evil comes from our mind, not from any outside subject, in my opinion.

you are absolutely right its not about any kind of music i guess
Asap170
This isn't MUSIC. Music is songs that tell story or that someone plays music to not just say words really fast and have a DJ mixing beats.

Reasons why I don't like rap:

1. Language

2. Makes no sense.

3. Changes the way I htink
liljp617
Asap170 wrote:
This isn't MUSIC. Music is songs that tell story or that someone plays music to not just say words really fast and have a DJ mixing beats.

Reasons why I don't like rap:

1. Language

2. Makes no sense.

3. Changes the way I htink

You really don't think any rap tells stories? May I ask what rap you've been listening to, because that's plain nonsense and surely you know that. And a DJ making MUSICAL beats isn't making music? Sure, becoming an incredible guitarist is probably harder, but get off your high horse and drop the elitism. If someone makes organized sounds with rhythm, tempo, dynamics, texture, and so on, it is music -.- It doesn't matter if you enjoy it or not, that doesn't mean it's not music. Are you also asserting that something like techno isn't music?

As a disclaimer, I'm a metalhead at heart...
Asap170
Well I can't understand it. I prefer country. Some Pop and hip-hop, but mostly country. I would say something but it's isn't a good idea to say it cause I know people won't like it.
liljp617
What would you say to somebody who says "Country is boring, nothing but boring acoustic guitars and rednecks talking about tractors"?
Asap170
Rednecks are part of society... What would you say if I said that Rappers are losers and they don't make sense. o_O
liljp617
Asap170 wrote:
Rednecks are part of society... What would you say if I said that Rappers are losers and they don't make sense. o_O

I believe you missed the point.
gandalfthegrey
This study is putting the carrot before the stick. Maybe these youth who already listen to rap are more prone to violence and crime already. Maybe they just happen to be attracted to rap music.

We have too many social scientists who are wasting all our our time and government money conducting stupid scientific studies in an attempt to either already proof the obvious, or create false premised research for their own personal fame and advancement.
liljp617
gandalfthegrey wrote:
This study is putting the carrot before the stick. Maybe these youth who already listen to rap are more prone to violence and crime already. Maybe they just happen to be attracted to rap music.

We have too many social scientists who are wasting all our our time and government money conducting stupid scientific studies in an attempt to either already proof the obvious, or create false premised research for their own personal fame and advancement.

People also seem to ignore a 9 year old watching The Terminator twelve times. But as soon as he puts on an Eminem or 50 Cent song he's a criminal in the making! -.-
Afaceinthematrix
liljp617 wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

People also seem to ignore a 9 year old watching The Terminator twelve times. But as soon as he puts on an Eminem or 50 Cent song he's a criminal in the making! -.-

Here are some lyrics off one of the few rap albums I ever liked (The Marshall Mathers LP; I also liked Infinite and The Slim Shady LP)... It pretty much has the same point that you just said...
Eminem wrote:
So who's bringin' the guns in this country? (Hmm?)
I couldn't sneak a plastic pellet gun through customs over in London
And last week, I seen a Schwarzaneggar movie
where he's shootin all sorts of these motherf***ers with an uzi
I sees three little kids, up in the front row,
screamin "Go," with their 17-year-old Uncle
I'm like, "Guidance - ain't they got the same moms and dads
who got mad when I asked if they liked violence?"
logicfail182
xxbalialxx wrote:

Rap is just a bad form of music - it promotes racism first of all, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, and worst of all, extreme sexism.

uh, no. Rap is a poetic way to send a message. Nothing more, nothing less. It's like any other form of music. YOu can find wholesome and wretched lyrics for any genre. FOr example. Get set go's I hate everyone is light rock, just like the beatles are, by today's standards. Did get set go make light rock evil? no.

Rap has gotten a bad rap (pun intended) because it was a common way to express angst for black people during the civil rights movement. A documentary on PBS called groups like MIA the "black CNN" and so because of this, rap's street roots make it seem bad, but only because it is a reflection our projects.

There is no such thing as a "bad: form of music, just oen you don't like. I don't like country, but that doesn't make it bad.
clydejaw
Nowadays, rappers are running out of original ideas to rap about. They mainly only rap about their status, money and wealth, as well as their vile ways to treat a woman. In a way, rapping has been watered-down, unoriginal and annoying.
liljp617
clydejaw wrote:
Nowadays, rappers are running out of original ideas to rap about. They mainly only rap about their status, money and wealth, as well as their vile ways to treat a woman. In a way, rapping has been watered-down, unoriginal and annoying.

Perhaps you should listen to a bit more than what comes on MTV. People could make these stereotypes about any genre, saying, for instance, rock has run out of things to write about. And that would be true if you looked at the mainstream surface of just about all modern music genres. Fortunately, it doesn't hold true for entire genres when one looks past the surface.
Denvis
Okay I don't want to sound racist or anything but rap music is listened to by 'black' people. Most of their lyrics including 'ni*ger' or 'shawty' implying it is directed to 'black' people. Again, I don't want to be deemed racist and it might be a stereotype but it is the black people who are the ones who are doing what rap music is promoting.

Having that said, I live in Australia and after watching many American T.V shows and movies, it has given me that image. I have some 'black' friends and they are some of the nicest people ever. My point here is that rap music does not destroy our youth just because some of which are listening to it commit these crimes. The people who commit these crimes and listen to rap music give the genre a bad name.
jabce85
be glad you live in australia...... i'm so sick of hearing this crap everywhere.... why are people actually giving these so-called artists money?! i for one will never and have never done such a crime
liljp617
Denvis wrote:
Okay I don't want to sound racist or anything but rap music is listened to by 'black' people. Most of their lyrics including 'ni*ger' or 'shawty' implying it is directed to 'black' people. Again, I don't want to be deemed racist and it might be a stereotype but it is the black people who are the ones who are doing what rap music is promoting.

Having that said, I live in Australia and after watching many American T.V shows and movies, it has given me that image. I have some 'black' friends and they are some of the nicest people ever. My point here is that rap music does not destroy our youth just because some of which are listening to it commit these crimes. The people who commit these crimes and listen to rap music give the genre a bad name.

Rap has a HUGGEEEEEE audience outside of blacks, especially in the US.
todabeat
i would like to revive this topic by saying...

didnt ozzy osbourne bit the head of bats on his concerts?
didnt Tattu girls kiss onstage just like Madonna and Britney Spears, didnt Kurt Cobain, a rock songwriter kill himself? and yet people still love him. Does the slogan go

DRUGS, SEX and ROCK N ROLL?

Did you know that people like, ludacris, beyonce, jayz, rusell simmons, have foundations where they donate ALOT of their money

it maybe to pay the IRS aliitle bit less, but they do it.

come on.
bring it.
liljp617
todabeat wrote:
i would like to revive this topic by saying...

didnt ozzy osbourne bit the head of bats on his concerts?
didnt Tattu girls kiss onstage just like Madonna and Britney Spears, didnt Kurt Cobain, a rock songwriter kill himself? and yet people still love him. Does the slogan go

DRUGS, SEX and ROCK N ROLL?

Did you know that people like, ludacris, beyonce, jayz, rusell simmons, have foundations where they donate ALOT of their money

it maybe to pay the IRS aliitle bit less, but they do it.

come on.
bring it.

Pitting blame against another music genre solves nothing and isn't the issue at hand.

But let's set a few things straight though:

The bat incident - This incident was an accident, yes an accident. There were rubber bats on the stage, someone threw a dead bat onto the stage, Ozzy picked it up under the assumption it was rubber, bit the head off. A lesser known biting occurrence was when he was meeting with executives of his newly signed record deal. He planned to throw two doves into the air...instead he bit the head off one =/

Girls kissing on stage - Who cares? If you see that as negative, so be it. A number of people don't these days.

Kurt Cobain - He's not admired for shooting himself in the face with a shotgun. He's admired for his creativity and legacy in the music industry.

A lot of rock and metal musicians have foundations or do charity work. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, for instance, has started an organization/school particularly directed at getting musical instruments into the hands of low income/poor children. Ozzy Osbourne (well Sharon Osbourne but Ozzy is involved) has a colon cancer foundation. Twisted Sister did a show commemorating the lives of the victims of the Station Nightclub fire. Bono -- his name only needs to be mentioned to make the point. The list goes on for days.

Nonetheless, the issue of "corrupt youth" (if such a thing exists) today isn't music -- it's not rap or rock/metal. Never has been, never will be...no matter how many more times they try to pin the blame on something fairly unrelated instead of addressing the real issues. It's plain nonsense to claim that music is influential enough to make a kid pick up a gun and kill somebody. It's plain nonsense to claim music is a driving force in just about any example of violence.
todabeat
that exactly what i wanted to see.

somebody say that.you got it man.

i know about all types of musicians have foundations, and i know about the ozzy,
but thats the whole point.

i think that influences go as far as you want them
soljarag
I used to listen to rap in highschool.... todays rap music is junk... they keep talking about the same stuff and its getting really old
Denvis
liljp617 wrote:
Denvis wrote:

This is only my pov, I live in Australia and I don't come across many people outside the black community which enjoy rap much, only rnb. I've only been to America once and I was harassed by a black person to buy a rap cd he made "i'm going to be the next snoop dog" he says...
liljp617
Denvis wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Denvis wrote:

This is only my pov, I live in Australia and I don't come across many people outside the black community which enjoy rap much, only rnb. I've only been to America once and I was harassed by a black person to buy a rap cd he made "i'm going to be the next snoop dog" he says...

You were "harassed?" haha -.- Do you say anyone trying to sell you something in public is harassing you? Gimme a break...
Denvis
liljp617 wrote:
Denvis wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Denvis wrote:

You were "harassed?" haha -.- Do you say anyone trying to sell you something in public is harassing you? Gimme a break...

He literally grabbed my arm, had his eyes wide open and shoved head phones on me then forced me to listen to his crap music. You don't think that's harassment? I was forced to do something I didn't want to do under my freewill.

Yeah, shut up daft prick. Don't say shit until you take in all the facts.
liljp617
I wish I could believe you.

Relax.
Denvis
Denvis wrote:
daft prick.
jeck
Music is an expression. Rap music and other destructive driven songs are just expression of ourselves channeled to an artistic ways. We cant blame music influencing us to become a bad human being. Music has nothing to do with the chaotic behavior of someone else.. That someone else has already been chaotic in himself and just relate his personal expression to something he thinks he belongs to... for example music... Blame yourself not the music...
todabeat
people thend to blame things on people or beliefs that cannot answer back.,
_AG_
rap music doesnt destroy the youth. Weak parenting and lack of education does. It doesnt take a community to raise a child and it doesnt take a song to destroy one.
eberhard
how came that you poeple blame rap music for everything, if your kids are very rude this days dont blame it on rap music. rap aint got nothing to do with your kids problems , y,ll know that kids are intersted in pornograph, i think instead of blaming rap for sexism , you should rather blame it on pornograph. how many kids out there are hiving pornographs vidoes in thier phones ? dont be stupid ,rap is being blamed because it is a black man music but no man ever in this world wiill stop rap music , i think you are just wasting your time by posting bullshit about rap because rap will go on get it ?
rocking
It is such a bullshit,
for the begining the most stupid people watched those videos for long time.
dawgface
S3nd K3ys wrote:
There have been a few studies put out about how rap music makes people violent.

WebMD wrote:

I'm sure several people here have seen the effects of some frihost members who strongly support rap music getting violent and e-threatening people for no valid reason. I know I have, on more than one occasion.

Anyone have (non-violent) comments on this? yes Maybe the reason rappers make such violent music cause it sales. for some reason the good music is still on the shelves. Thats my 50cent on the problem. We have to help promote the non-violent in order for it to get on the charts. We may want to try this and we can help the truth come out. to stop the fake.
phoenixx17
Rap is just a music genre, in no way is rap itself responsible for being a bad influence. It is the content inside the rap song that matters.

Listen to this Christian rap song by 116 clique.

This type of rap is a good influence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_K9sjB2pKM
Hello_World
The is nothing wrong with rap itself. I agree 100% with logicfail and pheonix. It i the content that matters.

Early rap was about emancipation. It was strong and great. US rap has certainly taken a turn for the worse being now anti-emancipation, about stupid arse shit like driving 'Beemers' and looking at 'hoes' and hate.

Aust/NZ hip hop is often much better most of the time because it is often not about violence and mysogyny.

And I agree completely with a lot of the comments. I hate vile US rap but it is ridiculous to point the finger at rap alone and pretend that 8 year olds are not talking about Grand Theft Auto at show and tell, watching Terminator or reading people slag off gay people on the internet or watching their older brother's porn...

And yes, I think people point the finger at rap so they can point the finger away from themselves and towards black people.

@liljp yes, most of us Aussies say that anyone actively trying to sell us something is harrassing us. Maybe that is a cultural thing? Just sayin'.

My favourite hip hop song... it doesn't demostrate any of my points... but... great... classic.