FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Does time fly?






Does time fly?
Time is slowing down.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Time is experienced as a constant.
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Time is going a little quicker than when you were a kid.
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
Time is going a lot quicker than when you were a kid.
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 35

Rico
This year is passing faster than any other year that I have ever experienced. Some say it only seems that time passes more quickly when you’re an adult because a lot of time you spend as a kid is spent by just goofing around. As an adult you are bound to be productive in one form or another, giving you less time for yourself. This perception seems like a good explanation but for me each year since around 1990 has gone by more rapidly than the year before.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?
DoctorBeaver
Time does indeed appear to pass faster as you get older. And when you're as old as me it absolutely flies past! I moved from London to Suffolk in 1994 and it seems like only yesterday.
saratdear
I think that time does fly when you are having fun and also when you are nervous(like an exam or something). Its like, during school, when it gets boring, all I hope is O god, can I go home? And then, after some days, you look back and realise how fast time is flowing. And it does seem to go fast when you have serious exams coming up.
hack_man_
Yes time does fly, and faster as you get older. I guess the brain just does that to take your mind off the monotony!
HoboPelican
Yeah, I remember, in elementary school, that it seemed like each year took forever. Now, they zip by like butterflys in a high wind. I always thought is was becuase when you are 5, one year is a fifth of your entire exerience....it is huge. Each year you get older, a year seems less time in relation to your experience. At 50, or however old I am these days, a year is only a small portion of my memories.
schudder
Exactely.

I remember being amazed at just how long a single week could be in elementary school. Yet, now I'm amazed that it's been 17 months since I graduated and that I'm already halfway through my first semester at uni...

Time does seem to speed up just a little bit, doesn't it...
Tuxy
Rico wrote:
This year is passing faster than any other year that I have ever experienced. Some say it only seems that time passes more quickly when you’re an adult because a lot of time you spend as a kid is spent by just goofing around. As an adult you are bound to be productive in one form or another, giving you less time for yourself. This perception seems like a good explanation but for me each year since around 1990 has gone by more rapidly than the year before.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?


Yeah time seems to fly when you get older. I think its becuase you dont concern about most 'unimportant' things in life anymore like kids do. Life just 'happens'.
ninjakannon
When you're younger days, weeks and months take forever to reach the end of - not to mention years. But as you get older time appears to speed up. I've noticed this myself and everyone seems to say it.

But I thought to myself, "time can't actually be getting faster...".

Then I thought only about the events that had happened to me in the last month; you try it now, think of as much as you can. When doing this time seemed suddenly to be moving much more slowly.

There are interesting theories, not all of which I agree with, that state things such as: time is relative to the person or creature that is perceiving it and varies depending on the mood that creature is in etc. But I believe that time is motion measured, time is in fact just the measurement that we use when describing / talking about motion. It is the way we perceive time that will appear to change; when you're bored you sit and have nothing to do and soon run out of things to think about, then time seems to be progressing slower because you are more aware of it. But if you are having fun you don't register how much time is passing (or rather, how much [motion] is happening) therefore things appear to happen faster.

There are more things that effect our perception of time too, but I really can't be bothered to say any more. Wink
hlavco
Oh my god, it's November already?!

Yeah, things have definately sped up. Also, it seems like the period of September-December always goes by really fast, and March-May are like the doldrums or something.
AG007
Time does not fly, it just passes. LOL
a.Bird
Quote:
Time in philosophy

Newton believed time and space form a container for events, which is as real as the objects it contains.

"Absolute, true, and mathematical time, in and of itself and of its own nature, without reference to anything external, flows uniformly and by another name is called duration. Relative, apparent, and common time is any sensible and external measure (precise or imprecise) of duration by means of motion; such a measure - for example, an hour, a day, a month, a year - is commonly used instead of true time." -Principia [17]

Time as "unreal"
In 5th century BC Greece, Antiphon the Sophist, in a fragment preserved from his chief work Truth held that: "Time is not a reality (hupostasis), but a concept (noêma) or a measure (metron)." Similarly, Parmenides believed that time, motion, and change were illusions, leading to Zeno's paradoxes (Zeno was a follower of Parmenides).

Ralph Waldo Emerson considers time as presentness, where past and future are but our present projections (of our memory, hope, etc.). For Emerson, time needs a qualitative measurement rather than a quantitative one.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time#Time_in_philosophy
insolent1
time is passing quickly
arkebuzer
that was probably the most odd poll I have ever seen here on frihost forums(quite interesting though) =)

Anyways I personally think time allways seem to go quite fast. When looking forward, for example the 1,5 years I have left of my education it seems like eternity, but when looking backwards at things that has happened time seems to go soooo fast.
For example I still think I moved in to this house just a few years ago... but it´s actually like 11 years ago... and I still see my dog as a puppy... even though it´s close to 8 years old.

Regards
Josso
Yes, in your mind because of perspective. You are getting older therefore a year seems less each year.
Shiva
Well.. every day I go to work. A work i like alot!! And time flyes on my work.. Så a week feels like two days Laughing
fedex220
Hello all,

I think that time does not fly its just as you get older it gets more fun because, your getting exceited for retirement and, you are having more fun out of work etc. Im only 15 and, Time is starting to fly through school. I'm in my first year of highschool and its already the 3RD month of school!! I think that as you get older time goes by fast.. thats my hypothesis... What do you think of that? Also do you think that as you are younger time goes slower?
snowboardude
does time fly? in a word, yes.
eku53ru
I believe that time flies. Well, in a figurative sense, at least; I remember my senior year at high school went by unreasonably fast. By the time the first day of school sunk in for me, graduation was rolling by. I find it amusing that time appears to move slower when you're actually paying attention to it, though.
Nameless
Time flies like a brick.

IT DOESN'T.

And many people have already posted why people's warped intrepetations end with the result their mind seems to experience it otherwise.
solarwind__
Rico wrote:
This year is passing faster than any other year that I have ever experienced. Some say it only seems that time passes more quickly when you’re an adult because a lot of time you spend as a kid is spent by just goofing around. As an adult you are bound to be productive in one form or another, giving you less time for yourself. This perception seems like a good explanation but for me each year since around 1990 has gone by more rapidly than the year before.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?



Yes, when you're on frihost.
RT Cunningham
ninjakannon wrote:
There are interesting theories, not all of which I agree with, that state things such as: time is relative to the person or creature that is perceiving it and varies depending on the mood that creature is in etc.


I actually agree with the theory that time is relative to the person perceiving it. Old sayings like "time flies when you're having fun" are illustrative. Have you ever been at work and kept looking at the clock toward the end of your shift and noted that time appeared to be moving slowly? Yet, if you're busy doing something and start looking at the clock, time appears to be moving faster.

Heck, when I used to look at the clock before going home, I could swear it was going backwards!
TruPain
I think a lot of it is because once we become adults, there really is nothing left to look forward to in life other than growing old. I mean, sure, we have our kids and our kids kids etc etc... but when we are 5 we can't wait to be in 2nd grade, when we are 13, we can't wait to drive, once we can drive, we can't wait to get out of high school and turn 18, then we can't wait to go on to college and turn 21 and all that fun stuff, then we can't wait to get out of college...

Once out of college, we can't wait to get a job in our field, but once there, what else do we have to look forward to? Just promotions more taxes, more money paid to the government so when we get older, the government can screw us like they did to our grandparents and parents...

Point is, is at a certain age, we are done waiting for something to happen. If you are not waiting, time seems to go by quickly. but when you are waiting for something, times seems to decrease.

bleh.. maybe it is just me... but it seems that my 8 year old daughter was born just last year...
Aless
Time flies when you're havig fun!
BuBbLe
Quote:
Time is going a lot quicker than when you were a kid

I really agree with the above.
Time really fly very fast.
Now in Malaysia is 6:30 pm..
I dunno i had online since 10am until now....
ninjakannon
RT Cunningham wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
There are interesting theories, not all of which I agree with, that state things such as: time is relative to the person or creature that is perceiving it and varies depending on the mood that creature is in etc.


I actually agree with the theory that time is relative to the person perceiving it. Old sayings like "time flies when you're having fun" are illustrative. Have you ever been at work and kept looking at the clock toward the end of your shift and noted that time appeared to be moving slowly? Yet, if you're busy doing something and start looking at the clock, time appears to be moving faster.

Heck, when I used to look at the clock before going home, I could swear it was going backwards!

I don't disagree with the idea behind the theory, but I do disagree with the way it is worded and has been put forward. I believe that a creature's perception of time is relative to that creature alone. We have all witnessed the ways in which time seems to speed up and slow down but time itself remains unchanged.

Take the following situation for example:
You're at work and there's 1 hour to go before you can leave to go home. You keep glancing at the clock every so often and the less time there is left, the more frequently you glance at the clock. Time seems to be moving more slowly and to you 2 hours appear to pass before you can finally leave work. Yet there was a camera which filmed the clock that you were looking at. And when you get home you watch the movie on your computer. The film is exactly an hour long, thus proving that time itself doesn't change speeds; but you felt like it did. Therefore it is not time itself which is relative to you, it is your perception of time intervals that changes. I am sure of this, what do you think?
An interesting phenomenon here is that if you actually watched a movie of a clock ticking around for an hour it would seem to take much longer than just 1 hour, as you would be so bored.

The question is why does your perception of time change? Wouldn't it be better if everyone just perceived time at the same rate and therefore couldn't feel that time was going too slowly (although people would for sure complain that it didn't go fast enough)?

Personally I'm not sure why you perceive time at a different rate. But I can think of factors which effect time perception. The obvious things come into mind, like the mood you’re currently in and activity you’re currently doing. But I'm sure you have - like me - experienced this, or something similar: you have been having an excellent time and you would have thought that time would be flying by, but then you look at the time and realise that hardly any time has passed. So why is this? Why hasn't time "flown" like usual? This point shows that there is more to this than first meets the eye. But I am not sure why this happens. Anyone got an answer? I'd love to hear it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moving on...

TruPain wrote:
I think a lot of it is because once we become adults, there really is nothing left to look forward to in life other than growing old. I mean, sure, we have our kids and our kids kids etc etc... but when we are 5 we can't wait to be in 2nd grade, when we are 13, we can't wait to drive, once we can drive, we can't wait to get out of high school and turn 18, then we can't wait to go on to college and turn 21 and all that fun stuff, then we can't wait to get out of college...

Once out of college, we can't wait to get a job in our field, but once there, what else do we have to look forward to? Just promotions more taxes, more money paid to the government so when we get older, the government can screw us like they did to our grandparents and parents...

Point is, is at a certain age, we are done waiting for something to happen. If you are not waiting, time seems to go by quickly. but when you are waiting for something, times seems to decrease.

I must disagree with this. There is a simple point which throws your theory out of the window.

You say that after a person's got their job they have nothing to look forward to so that time goes more slowly because they're not waiting for something. But there are still things that people are waiting for and looking forward to when they've got a job, passed education etc. Although it's harder for a young person to see what those things might be, I can tell you that people at the age of 50 are waiting for just as much, if not more, than a 10 year old (probably more, actually).
Think about it, after you've got a job what are you going to do? There's getting married or having some kind of relationship, having children (which will introduce a lot of things to wait for), arranging to do things like going out with your friends and having to wait for the day, buying tickets to concerts, the cinema and the theatre (etc) and having to do yet more waiting. Or simply waiting for the next episode of your favourite TV program. I can think of loads of things that you're still going to be waiting for. Much more than when you're a kid.

The reason that you perceive time at a different rate is because you compare it with the length of your whole life. When you're 10 one year of your life is one tenth of your life; when you're 50 one year is one fiftieth of your life. See? Time is also perceived relative to the amount of stuff a person has experienced. But when comparing the length of a single year - without thinking about any other time at all - with the length of another year you will (if you do this properly) find that they seem to be almost the same length.

I hope this all makes sense, I haven't read through it again because I have some work I need to get started on very soon.
Kerosan
It's just how we see it. For me, yeah time does fly by quite quick. There are lot's of times where I really want to go back in time because of something I did. But I know that that is not possible. I can only learn to live with it now and hope for the best. Hope that I won't do something stupid in the future that I'll regret later on.
Dronzar21
I think time doesn't fly. Actually when there r good moments we don't know when time passes away and we think it flies. But when there r bad moments and its hard to pass even 1 min then we think time never passes.

Thats what I think. Wink
meet in rio
Time seems to pass more slowly when I'm doing lots of new things, meeting people and am generally busy. As children, I suppose every experience is new and so, by the same logic, we feel we've accomploshed more in a day...?

Well... maybe.
ninjakannon
meet in rio wrote:
Time seems to pass more slowly when I'm doing lots of new things, meeting people and am generally busy. As children, I suppose every experience is new and so, by the same logic, we feel we've accomploshed more in a day...?

Well... maybe.

I actually quite like that analogy, I hadn't thought of it before and it does work. Nice thinking, well done. Wink
Manofgames
have to say that I myself am finding that time is going by much quicker then when i was at primary.

The last couple of years have gone by in a blur Sad
Blaster

Rolling Eyes


No but really time is seriously going really fast right now. I'm already done a fourth of the year in school. It still feels like were on vaction.
rkgruver
Time and age are like the rotation of say a ball on a long string. As we age we move from the outer end of the string towards the center (or the axis). As we are when we're younger and don't have any (or many) worries, cares, or responsiblities, it takes a long time for the ball to make one revolution around the axis. Also, it seems like an impossible distance from the point we're at to the center. As we age and acquire resposiblities we move along the string toward the center. Amazingly (or not), as we progessively move along the string the speed of the revolutions pickup, and before we know it we're back where we started (January thru December). I guess the real important thing to remember in our journey is to KEEP A STONG HOLD ONTO THE STRING............ Laughing Shocked
TruPain
ninjakannon wrote:

Moving on...

TruPain wrote:
I think a lot of it is because once we become adults, there really is nothing left to look forward to in life other than growing old. I mean, sure, we have our kids and our kids kids etc etc... but when we are 5 we can't wait to be in 2nd grade, when we are 13, we can't wait to drive, once we can drive, we can't wait to get out of high school and turn 18, then we can't wait to go on to college and turn 21 and all that fun stuff, then we can't wait to get out of college...

Once out of college, we can't wait to get a job in our field, but once there, what else do we have to look forward to? Just promotions more taxes, more money paid to the government so when we get older, the government can screw us like they did to our grandparents and parents...

Point is, is at a certain age, we are done waiting for something to happen. If you are not waiting, time seems to go by quickly. but when you are waiting for something, times seems to decrease.

I must disagree with this. There is a simple point which throws your theory out of the window.

You say that after a person's got their job they have nothing to look forward to so that time goes more slowly because they're not waiting for something. But there are still things that people are waiting for and looking forward to when they've got a job, passed education etc. Although it's harder for a young person to see what those things might be, I can tell you that people at the age of 50 are waiting for just as much, if not more, than a 10 year old (probably more, actually).
Think about it, after you've got a job what are you going to do? There's getting married or having some kind of relationship, having children (which will introduce a lot of things to wait for), arranging to do things like going out with your friends and having to wait for the day, buying tickets to concerts, the cinema and the theatre (etc) and having to do yet more waiting. Or simply waiting for the next episode of your favourite TV program. I can think of loads of things that you're still going to be waiting for. Much more than when you're a kid.

The reason that you perceive time at a different rate is because you compare it with the length of your whole life. When you're 10 one year of your life is one tenth of your life; when you're 50 one year is one fiftieth of your life. See? Time is also perceived relative to the amount of stuff a person has experienced. But when comparing the length of a single year - without thinking about any other time at all - with the length of another year you will (if you do this properly) find that they seem to be almost the same length.

I hope this all makes sense, I haven't read through it again because I have some work I need to get started on very soon.


I can somewhat see your point, but being 30 years old, time seems to be going pretty fast. Not necessarily because I have nothing to look forward to, but my days are basically the same every day. There isn't much change between 1 day and another. Maybe it is because I work a 3rd shift job. But yeah, I can see why you disagree with my points, they are pretty weak...
ninjakannon
TruPain wrote:
I can somewhat see your point, but being 30 years old, time seems to be going pretty fast. Not necessarily because I have nothing to look forward to, but my days are basically the same every day. There isn't much change between 1 day and another. Maybe it is because I work a 3rd shift job. But yeah, I can see why you disagree with my points, they are pretty weak...

Every week day of my life I do practically the same things. But it's never the same, and I never get bored. When I think about it time does appear to be getting faster; but when I look at just a month, for example, it seems to have taken forever and I realise that time is defiantly not getting faster. I look forward to quite a lot of things, but also have lots of work to do which I don't look forward to.

If our perception of time is relative to how much of it we have experienced then is it true that time for you will appear to go almost twice as fast than time does for me, you being 30 and my age doubled being a few years above that. I would say that it doesn't. However I would have thought that you would perceive time faster than I do.
How much faster though? Does anyone have any idea?
bartdou
when i sleep, it flies;
when i wake up, it walks;
when i'm in sad, it falls asleep...
rainmaker
I guess this is somewhat related to what's been said, but...

In my opinion, time does not exist. Like so many other notions, it only exists because we have constructed it. Nature in and of itself knows no such thing. Thus as we go through life, the passage of time is necessarily relative.

What are your thoughts on this view?

--rainmaker
Pyro Man
Time goes insanely fast for me. I think its scary how fast time goes. I see it as a plane travelling through the sky at high altiutude when your born, then pitching downward more and more each year until your nose diving and finally KABOOOOMMMMM its all over.

Its just getting quicker and quicker every single day, its unbeleiveable. These Pink Floyd lyrics from the album "Dark Side of the Moon" (1973 and still in todays charts) explain it perfectly:

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but youre older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought Id something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
And when I come home cold and tired
Its good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells."

They played it in assembely at school once, to make us think about how we use our time, we shouldnt just "fritter and waste the hours in an old fad way"
sky217
If Time stopped, would you notice? And how would you measure how long it was stopped? Time is currently flying out the window as I try to wrap my head around this concept at work.
frenchy
I feel since since turning from 18 to 19 time is flying past my eyes really quick. Im already 22 that its old but just feels like the last 4 year have just been one year.lol
Anyways im sure most ppls feel the same about time if not worse but thought id put my thoughts down on this post.
shwetanshu
yup time sure is flying by quickly for me after 9th grade... and it passes evn more quickly wen i m studying with full concentration!!
pll
More your busy, more time go quickly...
So if you get childrens you will be always busy so time will pass really quick.

But I think time is an illusion.
bluecradle
In our country, time flies slower in the province than in the city. I've experienced it when we visited our grandma last month in the province, and mygosh they sleep at 9pm, so early. I guess it's because you have alot of things to do in the city and everything seems to be in a fast pace - work, school, eating, recreation, etc.
aFamous
Time is slowing down. Now and then so Laughing Laughing
bdoneck
Time is a constant. The only thing that changes is how we experience time. Depending on how we enjoy or dislike a situation and many other factors, time can seem to go faster because of how you're brain remembers things.
skygaia
As I got older, time flies more quickly.
When I was 10 years old, 1 year was 1/10 of my whole life.
Now I'm 40 years old, 1 year is 1/40 of my whol life.
I know physical time is alwasy constant. But I felt time flies quickly for 4 times than when I was 10 years old.

I don't like that time goes so quickly.. now
SFMeatwad
What?

The year is 2006? Wow, I thought it was 2005 still!

Monday on my Algebra I test, I put 2005 as the year. Man my teacher was mad and frustrated with me.

I simply had to tell him, "Time flies and sometimes I just don't realize it."

Well, at least when time flies, you get to see more and more video games come out and more technology release.

This topic reminds of Click (Adam Sandler movie)
ninjakannon
SFMeatwad wrote:
What?
The year is 2006? Wow, I thought it was 2005 still!

I hope you're being sarcastic there... It's closer to the start of 2007 than 2006 now.
amusic
Yeah.........time does fly. I was like in primary school a few days ago. Now started working already.
Hunterseaker
It indeed looks like the time is passing faster, I can remember New Year's Eve 2005 very clearly and it is almost New Year's Eve again
tho not on school.
On school it looks if the hours dragging on.....
MYP415
Yea same thing here, each and ever year that passes seems to be goign faster than the previous one.
Dragon2Storm
hehe this one i can answer as a child you are impatent so time seems to go slower becase you have no capacity to undertand it. but as you grow older time moves faster due to the fact you have more pateints and a beter understanding of it also the more you have to do and think the less time you have. if you think about time itself then its going to apear slower.
thus dont think abou time and you wont feel like its draging on.
hostingguy
I think time passes when you are having fun and the older you are the faster the time passes Smile Wink
Related topics
Bondings
Does anyone know how to get your site to appear higher ?
The future of Wi-Fi
[OFFICIAL]What song are you listening to right now ?
poetry challenge
Macbeth Ebook
Time Travel: Is it Possible?
Talk between Muslim and Atheist.
Fly Tying
Is there a true love at this time?
Does love at first sight actually happen?
5 years of Frihost!
God as a Scientist : Ten Scientific Commandments.
DOES LIFE ORIGINATE BY CHANCE (EVOLUTION) ?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.