FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Browser Compatibility

roninmedia
For you web designers out there, how much do you care about designing a website that works perfectly on IE and Firefox? My site complies with w3c standards but it goes haywire with firefox.

1) Do you make sure your code is xhtml/html/css valid?

2) Does it work perfectly on at least 2 browsers?
sbel
i design mine based on php and html. sometimes png images dont show up the way it should on IE. it shows up fine on firefox. but that's just about it.

oh, and whenever i set a border for a table (say 1px), it bulges out when viewed in firefox. in IE however, it shows as a normal border.

i dont really know how to fix this

so yes, according to question number two, i check if it shows up properly on both browsers. if i cant fix it, which in most cases i can't i avoid using those stuff
Star Wars Fanatic
I don't generally the first, but I make sure it works in both IE and Firefox, although I do use codes sometimes that only work in IE, but that is rare, and if I do, it isn't something that is really needed.
Chelissamow
For my website, I make sure it uses valid xhtml and css because having valid code helps cross-browser compatibility which goes to part 2 of your question. I usually have my webpage open in both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Sometimes they don't look entirely the same but if there are no major problems with the layout, I just leave it.
cavey
I make sure I write semantic code that are valid XHTML 1.0 and CSS. This saves me a lot of trouble when I adjust it to look well in different browsers.

I check my website in PC: Firefox, IE, Opera. And MAC: IE5 (this one is really tricky! Non of my guest uses it, but I do not give up before it works here too), Camino, Firefox and Safari.

I also use the Web Developer add-on in Firefox (and some similar in IE and Opera). It has some very useful tools you can use in the webdeveloper process.
loryl
I develop websites using Firefox and test them on Firefox, IE, Opera, and Lynx. (The last is a text-based browser, which is similar to what search engines like Google use.) I make sure my websites are xhtml valid, so that they're more compatible with browsers. I'm a perfectionist, so yes, my websites HAVE to be perfect before I upload them.

Not everyone uses IE. I loathe IE, so I'm always on Firefox. According to w3schools (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp), around 28.8% of users use Firefox, so if a website looks cruddy on Firefox, it'll affect a significant portion of viewers. It really depends on your intended audience though, so it's a good idea to do some research on who will be viewing your site.
Donutey
I test Firefox and IE regularly, and I have tested on Lynx, Konquerer, Opera, and Safari. (With perfect or good results)

Just because you have valid code does not mean your site will show up correctly. What it does do is rule out the fact that crappy coding is causing the errors, and that it's a browser issue, which can be really helpful when trying to fix problems.

I try to keep my site valid xhtml 1.1 and CSS, even with constantly updating I very rarely run across a page that's not valid in some way.

On another note, if your site shows up poorly in Firefox but good in IE 6 then it might have problems with IE 7 which (from a moderate amount of experience) tends to render pages more like the way Firefox does.
{name here}
I just use a WYSIWYG editor, which usually will set the attributes to perfection among all browsers. Of course, I do do minor edits to the templates, but to this day not a single design of mine has been malformed which I have used Dreamweaver to design.
eday2010
I use XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and I make sure it works in IE and Netscape/Firefox. I'll also test the site in Opera, which always seems to work perfectly. I don't have access to a Mac, so I cannot test those browsers, and I don't intend on dropping $600 for a Mac Mini just for testing Razz
Dragate
Just ty to fool around with the code. Sometimes standards don't work.

I usually write it in standard form, test it then just fool around with it.

Also, test it with WYSIWYG editors. They add in little bit of codes that you might have forgotton~

well, good luck~

just tamper around here and there, sometimes, it just doesn't work using standards. Short and fast styles work best most of the time, for me at least.

best wishes~
mathiaus
My sites are now created in simple divs so the only problems I face with browser compatibility, relate to the CSS. Whilst I make sure my code is XHTML standards compliant, my CSS isn't because of the 'hacks' used to make it appear the same on different browsers.

There are tools online which allow you to view your site in different browsers and operating systems even. If you can't use this (due to restrictions or some other reason), you could open a topic like I did in the marketplace forum, asking people to take screenshots of your site in different browsers for $Frih.

If you collect site stats, check what browsers most people use. While it would be ideal to parse correctly on all browsers, it's best to try to add different browsers ability one by one, starting with the most popular visitor browsers.