FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Old Computers





izcool
I have many old desktop computers around my house. It's starting to get to a point where I really need to start doing something with them, as they're just sitting around here doing nothing, and taking up so much room.

What options do I have with these machines ? I'd like to keep all of my modern computers (preferrably Pentium 3 and above) but I got an array of Pentium 2 and older computers, with monitors, keyboards, mice, and other sort of equipment to go along with them.

From what I've gathered, I have these choices :

- Donate them to the Salvation Army thrift stores, where they can be resold.
- Sell them on Craigslist (as older computers don't seem to be highly priced on eBay).
- Give them away for free on Craigslist to someone who really needs a computer to use.
- Since I'm in the Chicagoland area, they have something here called "Free Geek Chicago". I can donate to them, but I'll have to pay a fee because they have to process it to give their donated machines away to volunteers. I might consider doing that, but it's like $15.00 to donate a monitor or a tower. I would donate to them if it didn't cost.

I'd prefer not to give them to the Salvation Army, because I want these machines to be put to good use and given a second life. I've gotten most of my older computers by picking them out of the garabage, I didn't really buy them. Of course, my modern computers I have bought.

The reason on why I'd prefer not to give them to the Salvation Army is because they trash a lot of the older stuff, they don't even recycle it, and only consider selling the ones that are at least "modern". I want these things to be reused and not trashed or recycled, if you can get what I mean.

Can anyone else gather any other suggestions ? Much thanks ahead of time.

(I do have a couple of my modern machines, mostly Pentium 2's and above doing work for Seti@Home, for research. I don't want all of these on at once because that would make the electricity bill blow through the roof).

- Mike.
ocalhoun
Combine them and make a Beowulf cluster! Be the first person on your block to own a supercomputer!
(You could shut it down to save power.)
ezekiel_rage
izcool wrote:
I have many old desktop computers around my house. It's starting to get to a point where I really need to start doing something with them, as they're just sitting around here doing nothing, and taking up so much room.

What options do I have with these machines ? I'd like to keep all of my modern computers (preferrably Pentium 3 and above) but I got an array of Pentium 2 and older computers, with monitors, keyboards, mice, and other sort of equipment to go along with them.

From what I've gathered, I have these choices :

- Donate them to the Salvation Army thrift stores, where they can be resold.
- Sell them on Craigslist (as older computers don't seem to be highly priced on eBay).
- Give them away for free on Craigslist to someone who really needs a computer to use.
- Since I'm in the Chicagoland area, they have something here called "Free Geek Chicago". I can donate to them, but I'll have to pay a fee because they have to process it to give their donated machines away to volunteers. I might consider doing that, but it's like $15.00 to donate a monitor or a tower. I would donate to them if it didn't cost.

I'd prefer not to give them to the Salvation Army, because I want these machines to be put to good use and given a second life. I've gotten most of my older computers by picking them out of the garabage, I didn't really buy them. Of course, my modern computers I have bought.

The reason on why I'd prefer not to give them to the Salvation Army is because they trash a lot of the older stuff, they don't even recycle it, and only consider selling the ones that are at least "modern". I want these things to be reused and not trashed or recycled, if you can get what I mean.

Can anyone else gather any other suggestions ? Much thanks ahead of time.

(I do have a couple of my modern machines, mostly Pentium 2's and above doing work for Seti@Home, for research. I don't want all of these on at once because that would make the electricity bill blow through the roof).

- Mike.


You could either create a linux cluster, but as you said that will make the electric bill go up. at least you can do it for the sake of having a supercomputer.

How about sending it to africa or other third world country. maybe you can find someone who will shoulder the shipping when you donate your machines.

How many are those? maybe you can send them to me, Smile
sodredge
Mike.

Another option you may want to look into is "freecycle"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagofreecycle/

This is the link for the one in your area. This is somewhat like Craigslist though it is for free. You are giving it away like you would on that other
site though this listing is free and there is no porcessing involved.

Most freecycle sites are through yahoo groups that I have seen. I use
the sites and have gotten quite a few items from people that post as well
as offered many a dinosaur computer.

I have a room full of dinosaurs and cards and chips and such. You want the stuff to go to a good home right, post it on freecycle and users will contact
you directly again like Craigslist and normally with minutes of your post.

Hope this helps man.

- Xavier
izcool
I've devised this list of the machines and devices that I'd like to liquidate out of my collection. Now that I'm looking at this, it doesn't seem so bad, as it's mainly around 10 (or so) of my items.

+ means that I want to keep this
- means that I want to liquide this

I didn't give many specs on these machines, but only the processor in them and the clock speed. Next to it is a reason on why I want to keep it or get rid of it.

Desktops
- Pentium 133MHz (Windows 98, too slow for anything I want to do with it)
- Pentium 166MHz (Same as above)
- Pentium Pro 200MHz (Used to be a Seti@Home machine but was too slow for that)
- Pentium Pro 200MHz (Same as above)
- Pentium 2 333MHz (Runs too slow with Windows 2000)
+ Pentium 2 400MHz (Has a lot of nicer hardware in it that I don't want to give up)
+ Celeron 433MHz (One of my Seti@Home machines presently)
+ Pentium 2 450MHz (Same as above)
+ Pentium 3 550MHz (My 3rd Custom PC)
+ Pentium 3 667MHz (One of my Seti@Home machines presently)
+ Celeron 700MHz (Same as above)
+ Pentium 3 1.0GHz (My dual-processor server I use at home which is 500MHz per each CPU)
+ Pentium 4 1.7GHz (One of my Seti@Home machines presently)
+ Pentium 4 2.0GHz (My 2nd Custom PC)
+ Pentium 4 2.4GHz (My Main PC that I use daily)
+ Pentium 4 2.4GHz HT (My 1st Custom PC)

Laptops
- Pentium 75MHz (Too slow, runs on Windows 95 and has no CD-ROM Drive)
- Pentium 150MHz (Same as above, but has a swapple CD-ROM Drive)
+ Pentium 3 600MHz (A nice, spare laptop for whatever)
+ Pentium 3 850MHz (Same as above)
+ Pentium 3 850MHz (Same as above)
+ Centrino 1.7GHz (My laptop that I bought around New Year's)

PDA's
- Compaq HPC (Windows CE 1.0, very old and too bulky)
- Handspring Visor (Not much of a Palm OS fan)
- Palm M100 (Same as above)
+ Compaq iPAQ 3670 (Pocket PC 2002 PDA for whatever)
+ HP iPAQ H1940 (Windows Mobile 2003 PDA for whatever)
+ T-Mobile MDA (My PDA/Cellphone combination presently)

Apple Computers
- Power Macintosh 7200 75MHz (Old, since I have an iMac)
- Power Macintosh 6500 225MHz (Same as above)
+ Teal-Colored iMac G3 233MHz (Decent enough, my newest Macintosh computer)

I guess that's a good start. I thank you all for the comments above, and I have registered for that Yahoo! Group and am awaiting my approval.

- Mike.
ocalhoun
I'll definitely pay the shipping if you want to give them to me! Wink
'specially that newest laptop. It's nicer than the one I'm using now.
I suppose you could just dump them all on Ebay; you won't get much for the older ones, but some of the newer ones might sell for a reasonable amount.
solarwind__
izcool wrote:
I have many old desktop computers around my house. It's starting to get to a point where I really need to start doing something with them, as they're just sitting around here doing nothing, and taking up so much room.

What options do I have with these machines ? I'd like to keep all of my modern computers (preferrably Pentium 3 and above) but I got an array of Pentium 2 and older computers, with monitors, keyboards, mice, and other sort of equipment to go along with them.

From what I've gathered, I have these choices :

- Donate them to the Salvation Army thrift stores, where they can be resold.
- Sell them on Craigslist (as older computers don't seem to be highly priced on eBay).
- Give them away for free on Craigslist to someone who really needs a computer to use.
- Since I'm in the Chicagoland area, they have something here called "Free Geek Chicago". I can donate to them, but I'll have to pay a fee because they have to process it to give their donated machines away to volunteers. I might consider doing that, but it's like $15.00 to donate a monitor or a tower. I would donate to them if it didn't cost.

I'd prefer not to give them to the Salvation Army, because I want these machines to be put to good use and given a second life. I've gotten most of my older computers by picking them out of the garabage, I didn't really buy them. Of course, my modern computers I have bought.

The reason on why I'd prefer not to give them to the Salvation Army is because they trash a lot of the older stuff, they don't even recycle it, and only consider selling the ones that are at least "modern". I want these things to be reused and not trashed or recycled, if you can get what I mean.

Can anyone else gather any other suggestions ? Much thanks ahead of time.

(I do have a couple of my modern machines, mostly Pentium 2's and above doing work for Seti@Home, for research. I don't want all of these on at once because that would make the electricity bill blow through the roof).

- Mike.



Just keep them and load 'em up with Xubuntu or some distribution of Linux. They are good use when operating Linux.
Traveller
There are two schools and two orphanages down here (Honduras) who could ALWAYS use older machines, as long as they are able to run Windows-98 or newer. Although they have a few 2000, ME, or XP systems, most of what they have are older machines with 98 (and a good number of those are not even SE).

Right now, of the above locations, one of the orphanages would have the most immediate use for something. They currently have four older Win98 systems and some other missionaries and community-development workers who have been there have recently completed a new building which will include a room just for the computers. The old room was not very secure, and it is not uncommon to go in there and find that hard drives had been swapped among the machines and all kinds of configuration settings had been changed.

In the new building, they will not only have a way to protect the systems better, they will also have the room to add more systems, and they have even considered getting Internet access.

The biggest problem with this kind of thing is getting the systems down here, since the shipping costs are horrendous. Thus, if someone from the States does donate something, we usually have them send the equipment to some people in the States who are already scheduled to fly down. That way it's part of their checked baggage, and doesn't cost a lot more just for the shipping.

Fortunately, there are also stores down here where used machines are available, and the schools and orphanages usually just get donations of money and are able to buy things. Even so, if someone does donate actual equipment, and the checked-baggage thing can be arranged, they will accept those donations, as well.
desertwind
You can try clustering them and create a super-computer!!!
Arseniy
GDMT, why i'm living so far... I want this notebook... I like old comps.
You can disembowel them, good parts you can insert in your running PCs for extra charge and bad.... you can sell them.
izcool
Arseniy wrote:
GDMT, why i'm living so far... I want this notebook... I like old comps.
You can disembowel them, good parts you can insert in your running PCs for extra charge and bad.... you can sell them.


Remember, I've made a list of all the machines I own. The ones with the + marks next to them are the ones I want to keep. The two notebooks I have (the really old ones) are ones I never use, they just sit there, which I'd like to get rid of. The others I want to keep. The 75MHz one I bought at my local thrift store for $30.00, which was probably a mistake. Heh. Sad

- Mike.
Studio Madcrow
I'd pay for shipping to Boston, MA for the handhelds. I've always wanted one of those. As for the P2s, I'd give 'em away on Freecycle.
internetjobs
i am searching for old computer, please send it to me ...
i want a laptop pIII is enough, and tell me about how much does it cost? and how i want to give and how will i give? reply immediately...

and other old computers you can sale it to some schools at very low rate...
The_Gamer294
xodia
izcool wrote:
I've devised this list of the machines and devices that I'd like to liquidate out of my collection. Now that I'm looking at this, it doesn't seem so bad, as it's mainly around 10 (or so) of my items.

+ means that I want to keep this
- means that I want to liquide this

I didn't give many specs on these machines, but only the processor in them and the clock speed. Next to it is a reason on why I want to keep it or get rid of it.

Desktops
- Pentium 133MHz (Windows 98, too slow for anything I want to do with it)
- Pentium 166MHz (Same as above)
- Pentium Pro 200MHz (Used to be a Seti@Home machine but was too slow for that)
- Pentium Pro 200MHz (Same as above)
- Pentium 2 333MHz (Runs too slow with Windows 2000)
+ Pentium 2 400MHz (Has a lot of nicer hardware in it that I don't want to give up)
+ Celeron 433MHz (One of my Seti@Home machines presently)
+ Pentium 2 450MHz (Same as above)
+ Pentium 3 550MHz (My 3rd Custom PC)
+ Pentium 3 667MHz (One of my Seti@Home machines presently)
+ Celeron 700MHz (Same as above)
+ Pentium 3 1.0GHz (My dual-processor server I use at home which is 500MHz per each CPU)
+ Pentium 4 1.7GHz (One of my Seti@Home machines presently)
+ Pentium 4 2.0GHz (My 2nd Custom PC)
+ Pentium 4 2.4GHz (My Main PC that I use daily)
+ Pentium 4 2.4GHz HT (My 1st Custom PC)

Laptops
- Pentium 75MHz (Too slow, runs on Windows 95 and has no CD-ROM Drive)
- Pentium 150MHz (Same as above, but has a swapple CD-ROM Drive)
+ Pentium 3 600MHz (A nice, spare laptop for whatever)
+ Pentium 3 850MHz (Same as above)
+ Pentium 3 850MHz (Same as above)
+ Centrino 1.7GHz (My laptop that I bought around New Year's)

PDA's
- Compaq HPC (Windows CE 1.0, very old and too bulky)
- Handspring Visor (Not much of a Palm OS fan)
- Palm M100 (Same as above)
+ Compaq iPAQ 3670 (Pocket PC 2002 PDA for whatever)
+ HP iPAQ H1940 (Windows Mobile 2003 PDA for whatever)
+ T-Mobile MDA (My PDA/Cellphone combination presently)

Apple Computers
- Power Macintosh 7200 75MHz (Old, since I have an iMac)
- Power Macintosh 6500 225MHz (Same as above)
+ Teal-Colored iMac G3 233MHz (Decent enough, my newest Macintosh computer)

I guess that's a good start. I thank you all for the comments above, and I have registered for that Yahoo! Group and am awaiting my approval.

- Mike.


i'd be happy to take a few of them... i will pay post and pack, depending on how much... e-mail me... cvarty2005@msn.com
Qualla
Check puppy linux.
Download the iso and give it a try. A pentium works just fine as a surfing machine.http://www.puppyos.com
This is exactly what this distro of Linux was created for ( to save old machines). You do need a cd-rom to bootup from at least the first time. The OS can be installed on the hdd after that.
ronald.helpdesk
Maybe you could talk to some non proffit org to find a way to donate all of this equipment to a third world country, maybe orientated to childrens, who don't have access to quality education because of their parents low income. That can be something that will not fill your pockets, but maybe a little place in your heart.
TVme
A little FYI on what The Salvation Army does with your old computers. Here in Southern California anyway, they resell fully functioning computers even if they are windows 98. They ask that if at all possible you include any discs that came with it. If they are very old or not functioning they are usually sold in bulk to an e-recycling company and the Salvation Army benefits and the the items are properly recycled. The Salvation Army does a lot of great things for people in need - please consider them.
czc587
With my older computer in've installed a webcam and webcam program ( something like willingwebcam or webcamXP) on them, then wirlessley put them in some nonobvious windows like the attic window. They just ftp up a pic every 30 sec to a server and I have a great survaillance system. An older slow system is fine for this purpose. Have fun !
Related topics
Old Computers Museum [link added]
how to create your own XXX gig file compressed to NNN kbytes
How you clean up your computer?
Windows XP the best?
Still Using Internet Explorer?? Why? It's just... stupid
[RESOLVED]Does anyone know how to block a specific site...
The best host ever.... :D (parody)
Am I wired for life ?
Computer disposition
what proccesor do u have
Computers at school
Exploits in the wild for IE6 flaw growing!
Company computers and their disposal.
best Linux for old computer?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.