FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Making your computer "think" that its Vista!

Diablosblizz
:O! How do I do this, you might ask. Well actully, it is not that hard.

Heres how you do it. You must download "Style XP". This can be downloaded at:
http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.php.

After downloading and installing the program, you can go to
http://www.themexp.org/listings.php?type=vs&view=date.

Look around, you can find some Vista themes, or some others you like.
Animal
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't this make the user "think" the computer is running Vista rather than the computer thinking it's Vista?
ezekiel_rage
Animal wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't this make the user "think" the computer is running Vista rather than the computer thinking it's Vista?

besides, third party theming engines will just waste resources that you can use productively for other things.

it'll just make your PC crawl, and even if you have high specifications for your PC, you'll never know when you'd need those resource that styleXp uses (wastes)

IMHO
imkin
Well if you wish to have a vista experience then i suggest u must go for Longhorn Transformation pack ....

and about themsxp there are viruses and spamware which get dlded with the themes so i dont adivce users to download from there...

and if u are using a higher end graphics themes and have a system config which isnt made for them .. then ur pc shall surely crawl. If ur hardware is good enough .. it cud be some virus with the new theme which is causing trouble ...

imkin
Traveller
Animal wrote:

...and wouldn't unplugging the computer's power cord have the same effect? Wink
Diablosblizz
Meh, I thought this was neat. I was never able to change my theme.
the6thfactor
I think its cool to change your theme, but don't use StyleXP... its a resource hog.

Just use a modified version of uxtheme.dll file. Many users have created styles just for this.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707

(If I am wrong to link to it, please correct it. It's not illegal and it's not competing, but I'm not completely sure of your rules)

I've got a very nice style going for me right now, a modified black vista theme. Does not bog down my system in the least bit.

You can also find many styles at www.deviantart.com .
Kd527
I have my PC set up to look like Mac OS X using a variety of applications inlcuding WindowBlinds and ObjectBar (here's a cool site devoted to that). I didn't notice that much of a performance decrease, it was fine for me.
orcaz
btw, there is realli no nid for style xp and the custom third party themes now. Microsoft, in order to promote its new mp3 player, Zune, has released a new desktop theme which looks like Windows Vista. It can be downloaded from Microsoft's official site here.
KHO
Diablosblizz wrote:
Meh, I thought this was neat. I was never able to change my theme.

Actually, there are quite a few other theming engines that do not include added spyware and search toolbars such as themexp stylexp and whatever names they have.

I have a WoW theme right now that was built with active desktop that hardley uses any resources (notice i say hardley) this is because it switches it to the 98 style using less resources, does the bulk of the work in just colors, then an image overlay and a little opacity which is primarily graphics card/ cpu which most people have enough of to do their daily lives as well as run a theme.

Though, even with an incredibly minimalistic change, I have noticed a decrease in performance because of this theme. I also made a few themes myself that use less resources than Microsofts, but are not so eye-catching, rather very conservative.
Gundamxxg
Animal wrote:

ya know i was about to make a remark like that. looks like you beat me to it tho lol.

and yes to the OP, third part skinning programs like that waste way too many resources. and if ur using stylexp i guess you could say that it is making ur computer think its vista, since vista does have all kinds of memory issues. but thats about the only thing that it would have similar.
datter
Animal wrote:

That sums it up.
NEurodrOne
Instead of running behind stylexp themes the following link provides a one click solution to a complete 'visual' transformation of Xp into Vista. Pity though, you have to try harder in convincing your PC to think that it runs on WinFS or this interface is infact Avalon! Razz j/k

Vista Transformation Pack 6 RC1
Quote:
Vista Transformation Pack will give to your Windows XP system the new and cool look of Microsoft's future operating system: Windows Vista. The pack changes most of the system icons, skins and toolbars and also adds new enhancements to your desktop such as a dock bar or a different system tray clock

You sure will be surprised if you hear this. From now on you can update Vista Transformation Pack without uninstalling and you can even integrate Vista Transformation Pack into Windows setup files. (Still experimental, though but most of them are fine enough to be implemented)

This release has a lot of update covering from build 5472 so you’ll get much more icons update and much better visual styles and WindowBlinds skin, with bugs from earlier release fixed.

Link: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Vista-Transformation-Pack-Download-32042.html
Screenies: