FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trouble using the Gallery 2 pre-installer

shigajet
Hi there. Have a couple of problems.

I tried installing Gallery using the pre-installer, but I had an error message, which said that the public_html directory is not writable. Is it possible to solve the problem through DirectAdmin. If not, what solutions could you advise?

As well, I have a back up of my blog posts from my previous server and I want to import them all into my main page (WordPress). How does one go about doing this?
Animal
shigajet wrote:
I tried installing Gallery using the pre-installer, but I had an error message, which said that the public_html directory is not writable. Is it possible to solve the problem through DirectAdmin. If not, what solutions could you advise?

You can do this in direct admin or FTP - just change the permissions of the folder you want to install Gallery in to 777 but remember to change them back as soon as the installation is completed for security reasons. Do this in DA using the File Manager (and the permissions box at the bottom right of the screen) or via FTP by right-clicking the directory and changing its CHMOD properties.

shigajet wrote:
As well, I have a back up of my blog posts from my previous server and I want to import them all into my main page (WordPress). How does one go about doing this?

Once you have a copy of the database backup in tar.gz format, open Direct Admin, go to MYSQL MANAGEMENT and then upload your database using the "browse" feature at the bottom of the page.
shigajet
Well, I tried your procedure for the second problem, but I ran into the following error message:

Unable to restore database shigajet_blog : ERROR 1064 at line 21: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 14 gunzip: stdout: Broken pipe

What to do now?
Animal
It's possibly a corruption in your backup file... although maybe not. have you tried re-downloading the backup from your old server?
Hunterseaker
I also had that same error message when trying to install the backups.
I solved it by removing the DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 lines in the sql
You also have to delete all the default ''.
I suppose your previous server had a different version of phpmyadmin and I suppose Cpanel. I had the same problem to, I spend a few hours removing all the charset and defaults.
After that I was able to restore my databases.

Just unpack the backup file, then open the backup file by using wordpad or dreamweaver. now remove all the charset and all defaults and other extra (not essential)lines.
Now save it as a sql file or just copy all your codes and now make a new database and go to phpMyadmin. and then launch the code by paste the code or run the sql file.
shigajet
Thanks for the tip, Hunter. I'll try it and see if it works before I tackle the Gallery Pre-Installer problem.
jon9314
i couldent get it to work on frih or any other server for that matter. just upload the tar.gz file and install that way. workes flawlessly for me
shigajet
Still no luck. Perhaps there's someone on the Frihost staff who could help me with the blog backup. I'll even send the file, if need be.