FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Final Fantasy XII

Lusiphur
Releaed October 31st.

Any one here played it yet? I have to wait for the euro release to get it:(

Visually it looks stunning, and they have once again devised a new combat system and a new non lvl based way of powering up your characters.

Would love to hear from people that have actually played the game though.
pokethamage
too bad all the offline final fantasy games are never on PC...sucks for people without a console...like me =(
Alienz
Agreed. Since Final Fantasy X, I never had a chance to play it Sad Had played Final Fantasy VII and VIII. And love it so much.
Pablo Diablo
ps2.ign.com gave it 9.5 / 10. Wow. it must be great!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/741/741992p1.html

"Final Fantasy XII is a fantastic RPG. It blows all of its PS2 competition this year right out of the water and is among the all time elite role-players ever made for the system. Kingdom Hearts, Devil Summoner, Xenosaga III, Tales of the Abyss... none of them are on the same level as Square Enix's bold and riveting move in a new direction. Whether you're a fan of the genre or not, FF12 most certainly deserves a special spot on your PS2 game shelf... put it in the front."

AND I SOLD MY PS2 FOR AN XBOX. WORST DECISON OF MY LIFE!
Tasa
I though I had read somewhere that this one was going to be ported to PC. Of course that may be wishful thinking. I am not a big Consule fan. I don't see the point when only a few consule games come out every few years that I would like. I recently got rid of my gamecube because it was just sitting there waiting for zelda twilight princess and I figured I could just borrow my mothers cube when it comes out.

Not that I would have time to play any of these games being an MMO player Wink
Dj Redrum
are you sure its out on the 31st? im guessin thats for the US release and not for the UK, as the last i heard it was out last november.

Some parts of the game look good but i can't see mayself gettin used to the new battle system as i perfer the original system alot better, when you did'nt know when the battle was going to start and now it just looks like a shit version. But with a few hours on it i guess it may become ok once you have got used to it, like many things.
eLto
I also am more of a random battles fan. Also, I like the levelling system of FFIX. I usually can't stand systems that eventually make all your characters the same in the end. The main char; I haven't played it, but judging from all the older games, is a swordfighter. Hence, his attacks should be his upside. Whereas Ashe probably is a mage, her magic should be unparallelled and definetily the way to play if you're using her. However, with the system of this game, you will eventually in the end just press attack with all the characters, as they all have the exact same stats, and magic just takes longer than simply attacking.

Get my point?

I'm buying FFXII when it hits european shelves though, I'm a huge fan of the series, and apart from III and XI, I've got them all Smile
sfauzia
the new battle concept of FF12 is really cool. But the farming is like in wow, kill, loot, kill, loot, heal, kill loot-> sell -> buy. So basic...
vanSetiawan
hmmmm...i am not so like the new FF XII's combat system...
to me, i want FF XII's combat system to be like the old FF...

The main character is to young, not cool...
and the girl also not too beauty...it just look a copy cat of Yuna....
titus4
its pretty fun and the video graphics are good but the rt graphics could be better.I like hte fighting even though i keep getting owned.
if anyone knows how to get thru the suers please tell me
no Spoilers please!!!
kyang91
I'm going to get this game over the weekend. i heard you can play as vincent and yuna.
Codeman1
I thought they replaced yuna with a younge kid that looks like her??
bturcan
this game for me kind of star. i m always playing this
evanc88
I'm trying to save up a few extra dollars to get it. That's getting harder and harder considering the PS3 and Wii get released this month but for FFXII I think I can't scrounge somethin' up. Sucks being stuck at a crappy job this season Wink I bought Tales of the Abyss earlier this week, a day before FFXII was released, thinking I could get it later. But I've heard tons and tons of good feedback from friends and I'm thinking I made the wrong decision...
NeoValkyrion
Out of curiosity, how is the music in FFXII? Any good piano pieces in there that might make it into a piano collections?
Gundamxxg
FYI. FFXII is an awesome game. i was doubting it at first, but started to play quite a bit. now im hooked on it and i love it. the gameplay and battle mechanics are amazing, graphics are superb for a console game, esp. for the PS2, and the voice overs are just crazy. alltogether the game was very well put together so far. im only about 10hrs into the game, and thats at my playing speed, and so much stuff has happened. the characters personas also give the game a great feel. u actually get in tune with the characters and can almost sympathize with them, its amazing.

overall great game.
QrafTee
Final Fantasy XII is just an action RPG. Think Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with a complex-er scheme like Final Fantasy XI, but all in a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance world. Square Enix is always trying to make battle seem more fast paced, but I don't like this way. I played many MMORPGs and it's quite irritating when you play for a long time, but at least MMORPGs let you interact with other people. The voice acting in Final Fantasy XII is horrible too, it sounds like the whole thing was done in a small house rather than a soundroom or something.
westhighdrumline
I heard from my friend that the game is has a lot of politics in it. as much as it looks awesome, I am unable to play it due to the fact that I do not have a PS2 T.T
zanzou
I've just recently started playing it.... so much fun. I'm only about a quarter of the way through so far, but it's been worth every moment. :D

(I'm basically waiting to get to an area where the gambits will allow me to leave the game as it levels up.... that'll be niiiiiiiiiiiiice.)
ThornsOfSorrow
This is what I said about it in the general Final Fantasy thread (for anyone debating over whether or not to buy the game, but also hasn't looked at the other thread):

Quote:
I just started playing Final Fantasy XII two days ago, and it's quickly replacing VII as my favorite in the series. I love the absence of random battles; it's so nice to be able to see all the enemies so as to choose whether to fight or just try to avoid them. The graphics are gorgeous (as always), the story is incredibly deep (possibly the most involved in the series so far), and the addition of "licenses" is brilliant! Also, it's great to be able to move around during battles. Any fan of the series who hasn't bought this game yet, I suggest that you do so as soon as possible.

To add on to that, I've played this game for an average of 5 hours a day for the past week (I know, I have no life) because I just can't put it down. Leveling up is actually fun in FFXII, since there's less time spent waiting for a random battle to occur, and more time actually fighting. To avoid further rambling, I'll end by saying that this has become my favorite video game ever.
ShawnKelfonne
It has been a lot of fun so far, and the battles actually move pretty quickly once you figure out what's going on. Personally, I think the storyline is one of the better ones in the last few Final Fantasy games. Visually it's probably the best looking thing you'll see on the PS2, and the music is definitely amazing, since it has the Final Fantasy Tactics sound to it.

All in all, it's different, and there's some getting used to, but it's still a good game.
zanzou
ShawnKelfonne wrote:
Personally, I think the storyline is one of the better ones in the last few Final Fantasy games.

I completely agree-- I didn't even like X/X-2. I've said it before, I'll say it again, this game feel like more of a throwback to the goodness of VII (possibly because of lack of romance. Which I love.).

Quote:
All in all, it's different, and there's some getting used to, but it's still a good game.

I think it being different is what makes it a good game. XD Totally loving it.
driftingfe3s
Its good to hear that it has a good story line. I love Final Fantasy games, actually I just like RPGs in general. I'm in no rush really though to play the game especially since my PS2 is at home and I have no TV to play on in my dorm room. I think I'll just wait for it to go on sale or for a price drop before I get it.
jchang
i am actualy playing it i like all exept that aeris dies all training for nothing xD but i like his story and feactures
ddukki
I heard this game got a lot of mixed reviews. "Too cliche", or "really awesome graphics, but gameplay lacked". Personally, I want to play it, but I wonder if I should just rent it for a while and see, or just go ahead and buy it.
zanzou
driftingfe3s wrote:
I'm in no rush really though to play the game especially since my PS2 is at home and I have no TV to play on in my dorm room. I think I'll just wait for it to go on sale or for a price drop before I get it.

That was my problem-- until I convinced the guys down the hall to let me use their TV. XD They get the DMC games, I get to play XII... it's all good. :D

ddukki wrote:
I heard this game got a lot of mixed reviews. "Too cliche", or "really awesome graphics, but gameplay lacked". Personally, I want to play it, but I wonder if I should just rent it for a while and see, or just go ahead and buy it.

For the most part, I rely on gamer mags for things like that, backed up by people themselves-- not a lot of people have played it yet (at least in my circles), but those who have are all really enjoying it. :D

The lowest rating it's gotten from various mags has been 8.5/10... and most give it a 9-10/10 (or the equivalent). :)

Since I enjoyed Vagrant Story so much (40/40 by Famitsu, same rating as FFXII), I figured I'd give it a try... and I've been enjoying myself ever since.

In fact. I might just go play some more. >_> (11 hours yesterday is OBVIOUSLY not enough.)
Lusiphur
Digging up this thread again as FFXII has finally got a release where I am.

Eagerly awaiting going home from work, digging out my PS2 and wasting a week playing/beating this game Smile

1 question for those that have clocked it already. How long is it playwise for someone anally retentive enough to try and do everything in everyzone that he can?

And 1 for people in general. The new combat system, good, bad, indifferent or annoying?
rightclickscott
I've been completely addicted to this game. So much that I've been taking extra precautions to make sure my data doesn't get erased. They storyline has me completely hooked, and the gameplay does feel lazy, but it's still incredibly satisfying.
Lusiphur
Only a few hours into the game but my main fear has been eased a lot.

The combat system, and more importantly seeing mobs on the map, works. I was dreading this making me turn the game off.

Loving it so far though Smile

How quickly do you gain your first party member?
zanzou
:( I've been on a break for the game for almost a month (for projects, midterms, travel), and I'm really looking forward to getting back into it...

My only problem is that I had slowed down considerably because I was working on getting to the auto-level zone (as described in some of gamefaq's walkthroughs), and when I got there, I just got killed instead of killing anybody. :(

(If that was unclear, I'm talking about fighting Negalmuur in the Stilshrine of Miriam.)
Lusiphur
Boo, don't auto lvl Razz

I over lvled at the start of the game (Just did the Tomb of Raithwell, lvl 22 average, each char with 3 quickenings) and it's made these parts rediculously easy.

It's a damn hard game, I'm dissapointed at how easy I've made the start. Hopefully as I progress the game will catch up with me difficulty wise Smile
rightclickscott
Lusiphur wrote:
Boo, don't auto lvl Razz

I over lvled at the start of the game (Just did the Tomb of Raithwell, lvl 22 average, each char with 3 quickenings) and it's made these parts rediculously easy.

It's a damn hard game, I'm dissapointed at how easy I've made the start. Hopefully as I progress the game will catch up with me difficulty wise Smile

Except it's not really that hard. If you're having trouble with it, then you obviously haven't set up your gambits all that well.
Lusiphur
Surprising, everone I know, and every review I've bothered reading have said that it's the first final fantasy game that has been difficult, the first to actually challange players in the story rather than in sub quests (Dark Aeon hunting in FFX for example)

I hope that as I progress the game gets more difficult, as I said only past raithwell so I'm not that far into it.

That first Demonwall was a nightmare to fight though.
The-Nisk
ddukki wrote:

Buy it. First reason, final Fantasy is the best type of games EVER! Second, it takes a hell lot of time to complete and enjoy too!

I still have to get it! I'm broke at the moment and can't afford it! Sad Evil or Very Mad

And everytime i walk past the shops it's on display!!! Evil or Very Mad

Anyone wants to donate me some money over paypal? Laughing
Vinas
The game was definately worth the 30. I've been playing it almost constant since it was released here and I'm still no where near finished. I'm up to Feywood now, and that's all I'm saying. ^_^

Lusipher wrote:
That first Demonwall was a nightmare to fight though.
The first one is optional, and a fairly pointless battle. You could've just ran straight through the door and fought the second one. Much easier fight, and.. well, you HAVE to fight it.

vanSetiawan wrote:
and the girl also not too beauty...it just look a copy cat of Yuna....

Doesn't look like it to me..
votd
FF12 is finally worth to spare a dime for it, yeah?

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm observing it from afar. I have PS2, but I don't play FF any more, because of Square-Enix that does the job for money not the fans. But looks like things got better. 40/40 in Famitsu? WTF? And half of the notes 95+? And 1/4 of the notes 100?

Well for fans IT'S perfect game, because most of the magazines that gave FF12 note below 90% wrote that battles are boring - but for fans, they are not boring! Well I the battles were boring in previous parts of game, but in this part I see a new dynamic system, so it can't be boring!
Jeff_vella_leone
well i like Final fantasy's all of them
12 is cool though
yep vinas they are different
but maybe from some different angles they could look very identical
well enjoy playen the game anyway
zanzou
votd wrote:
FF12 is finally worth to spare a dime for it, yeah?

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm observing it from afar. I have PS2, but I don't play FF any more, because of Square-Enix that does the job for money not the fans. But looks like things got better. 40/40 in Famitsu? WTF? And half of the notes 95+? And 1/4 of the notes 100?

Well for fans IT'S perfect game, because most of the magazines that gave FF12 note below 90% wrote that battles are boring - but for fans, they are not boring! Well I the battles were boring in previous parts of game, but in this part I see a new dynamic system, so it can't be boring!

The 40/40 from Famistu is what got me to buy the game. :D Love it so much.

If you don't like that S-E is making FF games for the money, now, avoid all contact with any FFXIII game. There's going to be at least 2 games for the PS3 + other games on other consols. That's a money grab if I ever saw one.
Jeff_vella_leone
yep thery are making games just to get more money not for fans
and itrs disappointing indeed
zanzou
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:

I kinda feel like as long as the game is good, it should be worth it.... A lot of the time with things I really like, I always wish there was more canon for me to sink my teeth into. :)
johnsonap
Simply question, is this game worth purchasing? Have never played final fantasy, and if you are reading this thread am guessing you either have, or are in the same situation as me?
Jeff_vella_leone
johnsonap wrote:
Simply question, is this game worth purchasing? Have never played final fantasy, and if you are reading this thread am guessing you either have, or are in the same situation as me?

hmmm depending on which FF ur talking about
many fans have different openions on the subject
yet i suggest u visit the site: http://www.ffonline.com/
it has much of the info u need
they are all rpg games
in my openion the best story if u like mostly the story is FF8
FFx is cool too and the ones after it
hope i helped
_Jak_
i got it recently and sadly i didnt level up to far at the beginning im up to the boss after the second demon wall and keep losing but soon ill have 3 quickenings so ill hopefully be able to beat it.
Lusiphur
_Jak_ wrote:
i got it recently and sadly i didnt level up to far at the beginning im up to the boss after the second demon wall and keep losing but soon ill have 3 quickenings so ill hopefully be able to beat it.

Something I've found with bosses is that they don't have the wealth of immunities that they have had in previous games.

Silence, Blind, Beserk etc have all been invaluable for me in most fights. You'll never hit a boss with all of them, but if it hits hard blind cripples it, a spell caster you have silence or beserk.

Or do what I did Sad Chain 12 quickenings onto him and he dies in the first attack. But that's only fun the first time you do it.
ddukki
Addicted to the game. Can't say that I've had the full experience (I've borrowed the game only a week so I used cheats for all the licenses - still leveling up regularly, though), but the storyline is solid and the gameplay is new and refreshing. I love hunting the Marks and the new battle system with the Gambits. I think I'll buy this game.
votd
And more than 80% of professional gamers opinions are 90%-100% (in ratings percentage). This means that this game is very very good and well made. Although some of the readers are bitching about nonsense and boring in battles, but that's not true, unless you're not a jRPG fan.

I just hope that music is like Nobuo Uematsu's masterpieces from the other Final Fantasies.
Esperanto
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:

Fairly subjective opinion... and so is mine, I would suppose...

but why would they spend over 3 years designing this game? For the money?! If it were for the money, they would have spent half of the time on it. The graphics would have been awful, gameplay, etc - it would have been terrible!

Instead, FF12 gave us an incredible storyline, beautiful sceneries, and impeccable game play. They created FFXI so that it could be maintained as one of the greatest game franchises ever. It is an artisitic and amazing accomplishment.
Henk_de_Vries
No FFXII rocks!
It's the best game ever! I already got it, it's awesome dude...
It's a pitty that I had to wait so long...
ddukki
I've finally got the money and bought the game. I love the battle system and the Gambits. Almost everything about this game is perfectly addicting. I'm an avid RPG'er so I'm a bit biased, but this game is definitely worth the money I spent on it.