FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Restart Instead of Shutdown

asiddle423
Hi

I have a DFI RDX200 CF-DR Mobo i was wondering why when i shutdown that the computer restarts. It didnt restart the first couple of days that i had it but then it started restarting instead of shutting down anyone know how i can fix this problem
Animal
Are you using Windows? If so, it could be a software problem - if Windows crashes during the shutdown sequence, it automatically restarts.
Georgeboy
It feels like a buffer problem. Do you get a blue screen with stack dump when you are shutting down? Then you will have to change the buffersize in your bios.

Greetz
billybob
Animal wrote:
Are you using Windows? If so, it could be a software problem - if Windows crashes during the shutdown sequence, it automatically restarts.

he's using windows 64bit edition if that helps?

Quote:
It feels like a buffer problem. Do you get a blue screen with stack dump when you are shutting down? Then you will have to change the buffersize in your bios.

No it doesn't blue screen, when he shuts down it as if he's pressing restart (which he inst)
asiddle423
thanks billybob
haven't had time to come online hads loads of work to do
billybob
asiddle423 wrote:
thanks billybob

no problem, phill suggested reinstalling your os.... which i guess would solve the problem but would be better if we could cure it without having to do that
judelover
billybob wrote:
asiddle423 wrote:
thanks billybob

no problem, phill suggested reinstalling your os.... which i guess would solve the problem but would be better if we could cure it without having to do that

Reinstallation of an os is not a solution, thou it works of course.
My suggestion is that you enter cmos and enter power management or the like name, choose soft down delay, select delay for 4 seconds, then it is solved...... You can also try pushing the power button for 4 seconds and the computer shuts down.
askchris
Try running the command CHKDSK /F this will require a reboot to run, but will allow windows to check the integrity of the file structor as this can sometimes cause impairment on the shutdown process.