FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Filezilla Problem

manumiglani
Well, it took me about 2 hours to upload 10 mb of files to server via filezilla.

While I can download the same 10mb size data within 10 minutes. I have a pretty fast Internet connection.

Well, I have a default install of filezilla. Do I have to change some settings on Filezilla in order to make its transfers fast?
Animal
Run this web-connection speed check and let us know your downstream / upstream speeds. Your upstream speed is virtually always significantly less than downstream, but I wonder if something is limiting it even further.
manumiglani
Downstream 213.3 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )
Upstream 58.5 Kbps ( = 0.1 Mbps )
varun_dodla
Usually even with a fast internet connection the upload speeds are very low. This is usually limited by the ISP providers for increasing the downstream speed. You can request your ISP to increase ur upload speed. Even I had done the same.
Hope it helps.
Thank you.
sush
If you have ~58Kbps upload speed, its quite normal for an upload to take hours. Confirm your service plan and see what speeds are indicated by your ISP. Upstream is almost always, always, always, less than downstream speed.
Arno v. Lumig
manumiglani wrote:

Okay, let's do some math

58.5 kilobytes per second. You wanted to upload 10 mb. 10 mb * 1024 = 10240 kilobytes.

10240/58.5 = 175 seconds. Let's say 3 minutes.

So you're definately losing speed somewhere else.

1) Was you uploading to multiple people?
2) Are you using a router, and if you are, did you forward port 21 (21 is FTP default port right? :S)
3) Was you downloading a lot (a lot being that much that your bandwidth got saturnated)
4) Is your firewall blocking some things?

Greetz,
Arno
Solo Turco
Some servers stop uploading while yyour program uploading something, so Filezilla or another program establish the connection again and again, this takes a long time. I think your time is normal, it can be change by the server you use.
yjwong
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
manumiglani wrote:

Okay, let's do some math

58.5 kilobytes per second. You wanted to upload 10 mb. 10 mb * 1024 = 10240 kilobytes.

10240/58.5 = 175 seconds. Let's say 3 minutes.

So you're definately losing speed somewhere else.

1) Was you uploading to multiple people?
2) Are you using a router, and if you are, did you forward port 21 (21 is FTP default port right? :S)
3) Was you downloading a lot (a lot being that much that your bandwidth got saturnated)
4) Is your firewall blocking some things?

Greetz,
Arno

Hey, its Kbps, not KBps. He meant kilobits, not kilobytes. 1 KBps = 8 kbps.

The upload speed in KBps should be 58.5/8 = 7.3125.
The filesize is 10 * 1024 = 10240 KB.
The time for upload is = 10240 KB/7.3125 = 1400 seconds = ~23 minutes.

The calculated time for upload is much less than the one manumiglani posted. However, you have other factors to consider:
1) Distance from client to server
2) ISP efficiency (most of the time you only get 75% of the speed)
3) Speed of the FTP server.
4) Number of files to upload (for example, if you have 1000 files - total of 10MB, you need to send 1000 * 2 amounts of requests, and that takes a LOT more time)
5) Running applications (web-browsers, torrents, IM Clients...)
6) Packet filtering firewall (some time to filter the packets)
orcaz
your upstream speed is not totally equals to your actual uploading speed. Factors like the server which you are uploading to can affect your speed as well. The server might have imposed a speed limit to reduce lags, which caused you to take a long time to upload. Similarly for downloading, some download sites impose speed limits and the number of "jets" (connections) too.