FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tempting iBook...Good deal?

nothingXelse
Tigerdirect has a good deal on an older G3 iBook, tempting but I don't know if I should buy it or not. It isn't mind blowing, but its decent for homework etc. Which I need a laptop for.

Specs:
G3 500MHZ
256mb RAM(I'll upgrade)
30gb HD
CD-ROM drive
Int. Graphics, Modem, Airport.
12in TFT screen
OSX 10.2(Upgrading)

All for $299. I think it's an amazing deal, but do you think I should bite at it?
Arno v. Lumig
Well, I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but I personally wouldn't buy it. An 12" TFT screen is just way too small to do anything comfortable, the ram is too small (it will work, just slower), and 500MHz isn't too much either.

If I were you I would just build my own PC, and try to get everything for the cheapest price. I think it will get a bit more expensive then that G3, but it will definately be faster. I think that you would spend a bit over 500 dollar, and have a ~1,5GHz pc with 512 mb ram, a dvd player and an 15" LCD screen.

Greetz,
Arno
Xeniczone
I wouldn't really spend 300 dollars because you have to get tiger (130) Leapord will not work. Ram for those older computers is a little expensive so you would have to spend more by the time you are done you have spent around 500-600 dollars for an old G3.

BTW, is this a clam shell notebook?

I definetly recommend a Macintosh, but if you look on ebay and look carefully you may find an older G4 Laptop running at 800mhz or more and it will have 10.2 or 10.3 installed on it. 10.3.9 is good. You wouldn't need to update it, plus the g4's have support for Leapard as I have heard, and I will bet you will like the nice White case compared to the Clear Plastic white and a color of your choosing. Plus the screen will be 12 in anyway if that is the one you like so it makes a very portable computer. I disagree with any laptop that is more then 14in because they are too big to be portable but 12-14in is too small to be anygood in a office envirment so you may need a seperate monitor if you plan to use this as a primary computer.

Trust me buying something that out of date isn't doing you any good. You will buy it think it is great for the first week then you will hit the point where you think god I spent so much money on this and yet it can't even use this app. because it is too slow. Trust me I was in the same possition when I bought a Powermac G3 B&W. It was cool until I couldn't do what I wanted to do with it.
wiehls
Id say its a pretty good deal, but you get what you pay for. If your just planning on doing simple homeowork and web browsing it should be good.
ezekiel_rage
nothingXelse wrote:
Tigerdirect has a good deal on an older G3 iBook, tempting but I don't know if I should buy it or not. It isn't mind blowing, but its decent for homework etc. Which I need a laptop for.

Specs:
G3 500MHZ
256mb RAM(I'll upgrade)
30gb HD
CD-ROM drive
Int. Graphics, Modem, Airport.
12in TFT screen
OSX 10.2(Upgrading)

All for $299. I think it's an amazing deal, but do you think I should bite at it?

it depends on your needs. if you just like something to do web browsing, spreadsheets, word processings and presentations. this could do.

even for that I think the G3 is getting too old.

I'm sure you can get a decent and more recent laptop for below $500

like the Dell Latitude D600 Pentium M Processor 1.40GHz with 14.1in XGA Display or the HP Compaq Evo Notebook N610c - P4-M 2 GHz - 14.1"" TFT to name a few

yu can look at the database of notebookreview.com

hope this helps.
kiranaghor
Dont go for it if u want to use ilife 6 or Leopard. It does not get installed on g3. It has lot of limitations. I am using g3 with Tiger on it n 640 mb ram. Sometimes it does not play screencasts well coz processor is not powerful enough.