FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

It's Halloween!

HoboPelican
Right now, I'm sitting on the front porch, waiting for all the little beggars to come by. Got tombstones in the yard, jack O'lanterns fired up, bags of candy and beers for the adults. I love this night!

I know Halloween is big in the states, but how about the rest of the world? Any similar holidays?
Josso
We have halloween of course in the UK but it's abused like hell, I love the way you guys do it to be honest. I bet less stuff gets vandalised anyway Laughing
scotty
I saw nothing Halloween last night except on the news. Its a kids thing really. Good excuse to have a party maybe, but exams...
mschnell
I'd have to say, college students take it pretty seriously in the states. At least where I am. It's the best partying of the year.
Dean_The_Great
I've noticed a decline in the celebrations of Hallowe'en as I've gotten older. I went to one costume party, but the Hallowe'en spirit just declines so rapidly as you age. Although I must admit that this year I did get to dress up as Spider-man, which was just the wickedest thing ever! I may be getting older, but I'll always be a kid at heart.
snowboardude
its huge here in canada. everyone under the age of 13 goes out for candy, and still, most people under 16 go too.
darrenpaul
Josso wrote:
We have halloween of course in the UK but it's abused like hell, I love the way you guys do it to be honest. I bet less stuff gets vandalised anyway Laughing

...very much the same in Ireland unfortunally.
ncwdavid
I don't really get too into Halloween when it comes around. I buy a few sweets for the trick or treaters and that it. Maybe a pumpkin too but that it. Halloween over here is just like an excuse to get loads of fireworks and vandalise everything. Its a half an hour into the 1st of November and there is still fireworks going off every 2 minutes and i can get to sleep. Thats why i am on this!
tribe
Halloween is a day that I waste 2 hours of my life on passing out candy to kids in costumes which get worse and worse every year; by 2015; there will be no more costumes people!!!

Never liked it and never will...

GO YOUNGSTOWN STATE!
Starflier
Josso wrote:

HA!

I've seen enough toiletpaper in people's trees, firecrackers stuffed in mailboxes (or thrown at my dog/younger siblings) and eggs thrown at houses to be able to tell you that it's not that much better.
HoboPelican
tribe wrote:

GO YOUNGSTOWN STATE!

An Ohio-boy? And you hate Halloween? Im gonna have to come get you next year and we can head down to Athens. That should show you what Halloween is all about!

(for those unfamilar with Halloween as celebratd by Ohio University, here is a news article from From the OSU Lantern.
rightclickscott
I went out with my ex and some other people, and because I'm awesome, I didn't some trick or treating holding a loaded Airsoft gun to each house I went to. I actually had three of them on me. Surprisingly, I got a huge haul. God, I love Halloween. You're never too old to get candy.
Srs2388
I am watching spike *TV channel* scream awards
and watching some 'scary' movies =p usually what I do...
nothing much happens here... i don't want to TP someone's house.... yet
ThornsOfSorrow
I'm sitting at home trying to force myself to do homework because my friend decided to hang out with his girlfriend and two other people without inviting me. It sucks that his girlfriend, whom he's known for less than a year, is suddenly more important than me, a friend whom he's had for over four years. I hate being left out...
fatepower
Yeah it is its haloween now.. dont forget to think about the ppls who isnt in the life bring they a thought
David_Pardy
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
I'm sitting at home trying to force myself to do homework because my friend decided to hang out with his girlfriend and two other people without inviting me. It sucks that his girlfriend, whom he's known for less than a year, is suddenly more important than me, a friend whom he's had for over four years. I hate being left out...

He's whipped. You need to backhand him and tell him to grow some balls and become a man.

I don't like Halloween. It's not celebrated uniformly in Australia and I wish it would just go away. If kids want lollies they can go get a job :p
reddishblue
Yeah is Australia no one cares exept the odd kid who watches too many American kids movies, if they came to my door yesterday I just tell them to get lost and usaully with no other kid backup they just leave. All halloween is for here is Harvey Norman to clean out excess stock.
Yeah I love halloween Laughing .
Reddish Blue
RhysAndrews
Never celebrated halloween, never liked it. Kids going around rudely asking for treats ain't my cuppa tea, and apparently if you sake "F*** OFF" or something alike, they egg your house. So, I really don't like halloween. It's a useless thing to celebrate and just an excuse to get some food.

-Rhys
RiCtee
Haha...I'm also from Australia. What's Halloween?? Hmmm...I have no idea.
kevin briggs
hi am from northern ireland and we enjoy halloween night on the 31st of october.it is a chance for the kids to dress up as scary monsters or just fancy dress and play party games.

the children would call at peoples houses dressed up and sing a halloween rhyme which goes like this -

halloween is coming and the geese are getting fat,
would you please put a penny in the old mans hat,
if you havent got a penny a half-penny will do,
if you havent got a half-penny god bless you......

then the children would recieve either treats or small change,and put into a goodie bag.
RiCtee
It sure sounds fun. Hmmm...free candies. When did this lolly-consuming tradition start??
cheh
halloween is so lame! well it's ok for america, i guess, coz it's their holiday.
but i don't know why the whole world must copy their holidays! like we don't have traditions of our own! i come from Slovenia, and we have so many cool holidays, but they're all slowly dying and that hurts me Sad
we had another dude to come visit the kids on dec. 5th, but now almost every family has santa clause to come by.
we also had a holiday very similar to valentines day, it's in march, but almost nobody celebrates that. they're all acting all romanting and corny on valentines day Razz
oh and another really cool day that we're gonna have soon is St. Martin's day (roughly transalated)! it's the day when must (same as cidar, but from grapes if you know what that means Wink ) turns to wine! such a jolly day, very similar to St. Patrick's day in Ireland Wink

those are fun holidays, days i love to celebrate, but almost nobody else does! Sad and it's killing me Sad
dac_nip
yeah! happy halloween! Very Happy
hack_man_
The locals out here don't celebrate it, but the expat kids take this holiday to vandalise, steal, throw eggs at people's cars and houses, kill pets with BB guns, etc.

My front gate will never be the same again!
Tatsumaru
Man Halloween looks like a fun day, we don't celebrate it here (Netherlands) sadly. Nothing big anyway, some people just have pumpkins in their yard but that's it.

We have something similiar on the 11th of November, I think it would be called 'Saint Maarten' or something like that in english. Kids go from door to door with paper lanterns, singing a song and collecting candy.

I hate candy anyway haha.
ThornsOfSorrow
David_Pardy wrote:
He's whipped. You need to backhand him and tell him to grow some balls and become a man.

Laughing I'm planning on it.

There's still a box-full of candy sitting in my kitchen, which I'm planning to eat very soon. Halloween isn't so bad afterall. Very Happy
erlendhg
When I was a kid, I loved doing things like going from door to door, begging for candys on Halloween. But everyone where I lived was really greedy and after going from door to door for a long time, I returned home with only just an orange and a bottle of Coke Sad
The-Saint-Shields
i use to love haloween but now im older it is boring and there is nothing more annoying then little kids cuming round more den once mainley little fats kids who jst want more Razz
HoboPelican
Wow. So many fuddy-duddies here Wink

I don't mind passing out treats to the little munchkins at all. I wish more came by our house, but we are somewhat isolated. Its holidays like this that, if you let them, help you maintain a little contact with the kid still inside us all.
Very Happy
Animal
kevin briggs wrote:

Isn't that "Christmas is coming..." ? Rolling Eyes
HoboPelican
Animal wrote:
kevin briggs wrote:

Isn't that "Christmas is coming..." ? Rolling Eyes

Smile It's a Christmas song around here, but I just figured it got "borrowed" for multiple holidays.
odinstag
We had an awesome Halloween.

We have had a get together every year for about 6 years now.

This year we had about 240 pounds of pumpkins that we all took turns cutting to pieces with the many swords our group possess. It was fun and I am so worn out from it. Swining a sword for an hour really takes it out of ya.

The kids got all kinds of candy. Not to mention they got to eat plenty of it and run around like they were possessed. LOL!

Gotta love the babies.

Once I get all the video edited and ready I will prolly post them on Youtube, Google or Photo Bucket.
bdoneck
Last night, halloween didnt seem like halloween to me. i was driving around at night and i saw maybe one or two groups of kids all night. i was amazed at how few people i saw.

Right now i really wish i had gone trick-or-treating but instead i got together for a small party with some friends which was better than nothing i suppose
seanooi
i was in class during halloween. But a classmate of mine came to class in a costume which was really funny. He was dressed up in pyjamas and a cape with a mask and calls himself the 'Nap Man'.
Then when i got back from class i could hear my housemate making out with his girlfriend in an empty room. Laughing
monzoncf
Here in the Philippines, Halloween is just for big cities. It is not celebrated in most rural area. This event is just for rich person and on exclusives villages and places. I used to seen this celebration in tv with a costume of creepy creatures and stuffs.
Loghete
No-one does trick-or-treat here, nobody makes Halloween decorations like pumpkins and such. The only traces of Halloween is some USA-influenced people having Halloween parties. I have never been on one, so I don't know how they are.

I think it would be fun with trick-or-treat.. We have a kinda same thing on Easter. The kids dress up to witches and beg for candy. But I think you 'can' be older to dress up to monsters than to dress up to witches, especially the boys..
fedex220
Halloween was really fun here. I live in the United states. We got about 30 trick or treaters, yesterday. I didnt hand out the candy though, but, i watched all the kids that came and gone. I was greatly suprised that there were parents for event kids in middle school. Normally they come alone. That shows how good this country is doing Smile. The U.k sounds bad... What do they do? The worst i've ever seen done here was egging. Also people denting cars. I live in new england (in the Northeast) so its kinda settle in my town but, in nearby towns there are bad things such as Boston. People get killed there. Its bad down there... How are your neighborhoods?