FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm thinking about walking around the world.

Sound like a good idea?
That sounds like it would be a great thing to do!
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
It'll give you good experience, but it will be hard.
54%
 54%  [ 18 ]
Seems like a waste of time to me.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
You should really reconsider that.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You want to do WHAT!?!?
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Its impossible; you're a moron for thinking about it.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I don't understand what it is you want to do.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 33

ocalhoun
I've decided to walk around the world. I'll bring only what me and my horse can carry on our backs. (I won't be riding her, she'll just be carrying a pack.)
Yes, I know there are oceans in the way; I plan to take ships across these, and to do so in a way that I spend the least possible distance on board ships.

I won't be starting for a couple of years yet, and I'll be sure to be very well-equipped, so don't think me too rash.

Here's the route I've been thinking of:
Start
Florida
Appalachian Trail
Maine
Boat to England
Across England
Ferry to France
Southern Europe
Eastern Europe
Russia and parts of the old soviet bloc
India
South-East Asia
Australia
Chile
North along west coast to Columbia River (Oregon)
South-East across the USA.
Florida

The main things I'm waiting on before getting started are:
About $10,000 cash to be saved up by me (I'm up to $3,000: $9,500 if I sell my truck.)
For me to finish college (two to four years from now (I'm getting four degrees))

What do you think about this goal? Do you have any suggestions (Other than, 'why aren't you going through my country?')?
S3nd K3ys
My suggestion, put down the crack pipe and go outside for some fresh air. Laughing Laughing

J/K, You might want to think about leaving pretty soon. It's a long trip and you ain't getting no younger. Wink
ocalhoun
S3nd K3ys wrote:

J/K, You might want to think about leaving pretty soon. It's a long trip and you ain't getting no younger. Wink

Well, my scholarship runs out in two years, and I want to utilize as much of that as possible, also, I need to get the money to buy supplies (such as a tent, and a laptop that will stand up to that lifestyle), also, it will take time to actually purchase the supplies, so I can't leave very soon.
S3nd K3ys
ocalhoun wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Well, my scholarship runs out in two years, and I want to utilize as much of that as possible, also, I need to get the money to buy supplies (such as a tent, and a laptop that will stand up to that lifestyle), also, it will take time to actually purchase the supplies, so I can't leave very soon.

I wonder how long it really would take. Depending on how often and how long you stop. Well, when you go thru San Diego, post up and I'll meet you for lunch or drinks. Wink
HoboPelican
Sounds like a great idea, man. And doing it soon is a good idea, cause a family will really put a crimp in that plan!

I wonder if getting your horse across borders might be harder than anything else. Will you have to quarintine her (him?) in every country? I'm sure you have thought about this, but how about personal protection? Some places it will be a neccesity and others completely illegal.

Hey, if someone wants to buy my Frih$ on a 1:1 ratio, I'll donate all of mine for the trip! Laughing
ocalhoun
^ I do indeed plan to take protection; a hunting knife, handgun, and rifle/shotgun combo (or a rifle with shotshell).

As for countries with restrictive laws, I plan to either avoid these countries, wade through the bureaucracy or sneak across the border.
SunburnedCactus
Definitely a lifetime experience, wish I had the time and money to actually spend any time out of my miserable country. But go for it I say, see the sights, smell the smells etc. etc.
schudder
I think you'll find a lot of Western-European countries have very restrictive laws on guns. Especially the shotgun will get you in trouble I think.

About the walk: well... If you still feel like doing it in 2 years, then go for it, but I think you're crazy Razz
ocalhoun
^It'll probably take more than two years; I plan to be leisurely about it. Also, yes, I am crazy.
*edit*
Also, about anti-firearms laws, if worst comes to worst, I could mail them ahead of me, and pick them up later.
(But do they have to ban shotguns? That'll be one of my major food supplies!)
Traveller
ocalhoun wrote:
I've decided to walk around the world.
Won't you drown? Wink
ocalhoun
ocalhoun wrote:

Yes, I know there are oceans in the way; I plan to take ships across these, and to do so in a way that I spend the least possible distance on board ships.

Won't you read the original post?
Ucbet
Well all I can say is good luck and I voted it would be good but hard. But as long as you find enjoyment in doing so, I say why not ? It is fun to travel around the world ! Definetely walking isn't for me, but if its for you why not ? Walk around the world, learn new cultures, meet new people that indeed will enhance your experience in life I guess.

Keep us updated bro !
Traveller
ocalhoun wrote:
Won't you read the original post?

Did, but couldn't resist the old, George Carlin joke.

Anyway, "Run, Forrest! Run!"
HoboPelican
I've been seeing an imax type movie advertised lately called, "Ride Around The World". IMDB gives this synopsis:

Quote:

Plot Summary for
Ride Around the World (2006)

Journey across Morocco, Spain, Argentina, Patagonia, Mexico, Texas and British Columbia, to meet vaqueros, gauchos, baqueanos and cowboys - all part of a single global horse culture, an unbroken trail stretching back 1,500 years. A film for IMAX® and other giant screen theaters.

Sounds like it might be a good thing to see for a little fun research.
schudder
About the guns:

In the EU, you only have to pass border check once of course. Once you're in, you're in... Customs services do exist, but generally only in airports.

However, I know for a fact that f.e. in Belgium, where the gun laws where recently made a helluvalot stricter, any gun that isn't meant for personal protection (meaning handguns) or licensed hunting (meaning hunting rifles) are illegal. Well, that's the jist of it.
ocalhoun
Ucbet wrote:

Keep us updated bro !

Once I get closer to departing, I'll make a small site including a blog, forum, and map showing my planned and actual route as well as my progress. I'll also be bringing a digital camera so I can have pictures on the blog.
jasmine
If my memory serves me right, someone already did this right? Smile
Annush_K
Sounds great! Wish I could walk with you... When you come to Russia, you'll drop me a line, won't you? I may help with translation and stuff.
It must be -SO- exciting to see almost the whole world... I have never been away from my country, but I deadly wish to travel 'round the globe sometime too.
Arseniy
Heh... Cool idea. It seems to be hard thing to do. I had similar thoughts but in Ukraine it's impracticable. Sad And i haven't horse Very Happy
Solo Turco
I saw this:

Quote:
I don't understand what it is you want to do

and I clicked it immediately. But if you are in a good economical conditional, you may do whever you want. Because you can trust your green.

I am not an ambitious tourist, for that reason i think so. If you really wonder and if you have time to do this, why not? Just, to visit every touristic place on the world is not my best hobby.

If you are determined, good luck! Smile
STYLAN
IT WILL BE A GR8 EXPERIENCE.
LEARNING ALL THE CULTURE OF THE PEOPLE, MAKING FRIENDS,
AND ....ETC
THIS WILL BE ONE OF A KIND OF EXPERIENCE
Blaster
my suggestion is meat up with me in PA and take me with you. I honestly would love to be the first people to walk around the whole entire world.
carlospro7
I think it's a great idea.
I say get in shape. I know you'll be walking a lot and you may say but I'll gain it all mean while. Well you want to gain prior physical strength. Get your body moving, and get your heart and legs used to the movement. Walking does put some pressure on your bones and so make sure they are strong. In others start and stay healthy and strong. This is kind of an obvious subject, but it does take preparing. If you don't have much get some muscle in your body.
Also take survival classes if none already.

Another thing is that you can't plan out your entire trip before you go, and that's because sooner or later you'll find obstacles, and then there's the possibility that you'll want to see a place you didnt know existed or such, which is very likely to happen and you may want to go there instead. So it is a good idea to make a plan of the general direction you want to go, but also make it flexible.

If you don't mind you could probably carry a GPS device with you. That couldn't hurt. If you want to explore the old fashion way, make sure you know how to use tools like a compass and such, but i'm sure you've thought of this. If you are carrying a gps device it is actually also a good idea to learn how to use the old fashion tools, and learn the old ways. You can't completely rely on the device. Highly recommended.

Also learn self defense. you never know what you might run into.

Oh yeah, and take the time to learn about the people you think or know are going to be interacting with. Just briefly teach yourself about their culture and ways, just to get background information, since you'll be learning a lot more about them when you are there. Most importantly of all learn the basics of the languages you are going to be encountering.

Again some of these I'm sure you have thought of, but there you go anyway. That's pretty much all i want to say now. i dont want to make this too long. Good luck. If you really do this you may appear on the news, so maybe we'll all see you there.
cloudship
ocalhoun wrote:
I've decided to walk around the world. I'll bring only what me and my horse can carry on our backs. (I won't be riding her, she'll just be carrying a pack.)

I won't be starting for a couple of years yet, and I'll be sure to be very well-equipped, so don't think me too rash.

Here's the route I've been thinking of:
Start
Florida
Appalachian Trail
Maine
Boat to England
Across England
Ferry to France
Southern Europe
Eastern Europe
Russia and parts of the old soviet bloc
India
South-East Asia
Australia
Chile
North along west coast to Columbia River (Oregon)
South-East across the USA.
Florida

The main things I'm waiting on before getting started are:
About $10,000 cash to be saved up by me (I'm up to $3,000: $9,500 if I sell my truck.)
For me to finish college (two to four years from now (I'm getting four degrees))

What do you think about this goal? Do you have any suggestions (Other than, 'why aren't you going through my country?')?

First of all, what's your purpose of this round trip? In order to get a fifth degree? or to prove anything? I don't see it clearly in your post.

if there is really such a need to take a long walk like that, my suggestion is really simple:

1. calculate the circumference of the earth.
2. find a round track and calculate the circumference too
3. divide (1) by (2)
4. take your time and have a walk
5. let your horse watch you.

Smile enjoy yourself
Keran
I believe that this idea is a great thing to do. I will do the same in future, it's good to know that there are people like you out there in the world. Thanks for the inspiration ;>
If it comes to suggestions and questions, i won't ask you to go through my country (Poland), i'll ask you to NOT go through my country, cause if you will, then my vote will change from "It will be a great thing to do" to "It will give you experience but it will be hard" ;>
thealpha
The idea is great, I support you.
glabase
That's an awesome idea! you could raise money for charity in the process.

go for it! Very Happy
saratdear
I agree that it would be a great idea, but it would be really hard. That's why I voted for option two.
I must say, you have guts, even thinking about it. But, all the best of luck on your venture. And, if you can, log on to Frihost as many times as you can and tell us your experiences, will you?
And, through which part of India will you go? Mumbai?
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:
I agree that it would be a great idea, but it would be really hard. That's why I voted for option two.
I must say, you have guts, even thinking about it. But, all the best of luck on your venture. And, if you can, log on to Frihost as many times as you can and tell us your experiences, will you?
And, through which part of India will you go? Mumbai?

One of the things I need so much money for is a laptop computer that is rugged enough to survive the trip, and a satellite uplink for it, as well as some portable solar panels to charge it.
When (and if, as my itinerary is flexible) I go through India, I have no idea what route I'll take through it. Perhaps along the coast (more or less)?
cloudship wrote:

if there is really such a need to take a long walk like that, my suggestion is really simple:

1. calculate the circumference of the earth.
2. find a round track and calculate the circumference too
3. divide (1) by (2)
4. take your time and have a walk
5. let your horse watch you.

Smile enjoy yourself

Well, I could do that, but it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.
carlospro7 wrote:
I think it's a great idea.
I say get in shape. I know you'll be walking a lot and you may say but I'll gain it all mean while. Well you want to gain prior physical strength. Get your body moving, and get your heart and legs used to the movement. Walking does put some pressure on your bones and so make sure they are strong. In others start and stay healthy and strong. This is kind of an obvious subject, but it does take preparing. If you don't have much get some muscle in your body.
Also take survival classes if none already.

I'm already conditioning myself; two days ago, I walked to a nearby town and back. (14 miles round trip; took me 3 hours) I learned four things from this:
1: My left boot has a fold in it that wears away at my ankle; very painful.
2: I need more conditioning (that walk tired me out)
3: I need to bring a walking stick next time. (With one of those, I can, and have, walk all day long.)
4: I don't have to worry about people stopping and trying to 'help' me. Either nobody thought I needed a lift, or nobody bothered.

As for bone strength, mine is superb: I have an uncle that drinks a gallon of milk every two days (as do I) when he went in for hip surgery, there were complications because his bone was too hard to saw through. I suspect it would be the same way with me.

As for survival training, I've had no formal training, but mind you, I'm a country boy. I know how to kill, clean, and cook wild game and fish; I know how to find my way through the woods; I know how to tell what plants around are edible; I know how to find water in wilderness; I know how to make a camp and a safe campfire; et cetera.

As for self defense, I'll be well armed (with weapons I can use quite well), and if that fails, I can already run very fast, and I'll only get faster with all that exercise.

Blaster wrote:
my suggestion is meat up with me in PA and take me with you. I honestly would love to be the first people to walk around the whole entire world.

I'll think about it, although I intended to do this alone, it might be cool to have company. (I'll also have to start a list of people I have to visit along the way; theres already 4 people who want me to go through their hometown, and most of them are not far off my path...)
jasmine wrote:
If my memory serves me right, someone already did this right? Smile

I wouldn't know if anybody has. I'm sure nobody's done it on the same route that I'll take. Anyway, it being already done or not will not effect my decision; it would be cool to be the first to do this, but that is not my primary motivation.
HoboPelican
Another thought, and maybe I missed this already, but you are going to go through shoes big time. While you are training, observe how your boots hold up and then estimate how many pairs you will need to complete your trip (with a safety margin). Finding a particular style of boot while on this sort of trip might be a bit bothersome.
Josso
I voted for...

Quote:
It'll give you good experience, but it will be hard.

I think that'll be quite a mission but a really constructive experience. Something you can tell your grandchildren anyway Laughing
ocalhoun
HoboPelican wrote:
Another thought, and maybe I missed this already, but you are going to go through shoes big time. While you are training, observe how your boots hold up and then estimate how many pairs you will need to complete your trip (with a safety margin). Finding a particular style of boot while on this sort of trip might be a bit bothersome.

I plan to resupply as I go along, buying things as they wear out.
(Otherwise, I'll have to carry a LOT of stuff.)
coolclay
Sounds like a freakin awesome idea, thats definitely something I would do. But its going to be freakin tough. Yea I would start with the AT, and see how you feel then, and make a decision if you want to continue. I know some people that haven't even been able to finish the AT.

Here is some interesting info, on walking round the world. http://home.earthlink.net/~earthwalker1/

I plan on doing the AT in a couple years when I graduate, I may also do the Internationl AT. It was just recently made, and some of it is still in the works.
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/canada/can_iat.htm
SyncM
Sounds really fun. Some advice do not carry to much no problem to lift 20kg home, but 8 hour on the back of you it will feel like 2000kg. Buy everything you need on track . Calculate everything take much longer then you think. And always safety first. It will be hard but you can do it
ocalhoun
^That's why I'm taking along my horse; she'll carry most of the baggage.

coolclay wrote:

Here is some interesting info, on walking round the world. http://home.earthlink.net/~earthwalker1/

That's amazingly similar to what I'm planning to do, though with a slightly different (and much shorter) route. If I switched my horse for a mule and changed my route around, I'd be doing the exact same thing!

The anecdotes about his adventures in the Arab countries only confirm my intention of avoiding that area (not to mention the fact that I'd like to avoid trying to walk through deserts); also, I want to go through South America, which he didn't even go close to.

Still, thanks for the link; now I know I won't be the first to do this.
coolclay
Have you done much walking/hiking before? You will definitely also need to consider what seasons it is in the different countrys.

I have done some crazy things before like http://www.coolclay.info/washington.html, and http://www.coolclay.info/survivaljourney.htm and playing with rattlesnakes and other dangerous poisonous critters and such, but hiking around the world is pretty freakin insane.
ocalhoun
^ Well, I've got a couple years to condition myself, and I'm by no means out of shape now...
Just a couple of days ago, I did a 14 mile walk, just for the heck of it.
Also, last summer, I did a all-day cross-country hike up to the top of a mountain in North Carolina. About 20mi horizontal distance and about 1000ft vertical distance (with some places being very steep), without so much as a trial for most of the way.
jwellsy
1. Open a Swiss bank account and have at least $4000 in it. That will fly you home from anywhere in the word, and enough for either 1 other ticket or bail/ransom money.

2. A horse is a romantic idea, but you better check into how much it is to ship a horse on the various legs. Is it really realistic and fair to ask that much out of one horse? You better check out what the animal quarantine regulations are for each border crossing. Some animals get held up for 18 months clearing one customs regulations.

3. A good bicycle with saddlebags would be much more economical and can easily make 50 - 100 miles a day if you want to.

4. The only thing you will regret about a trip like that, would be not going.
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
1. Open a Swiss bank account and have at least $4000 in it. That will fly you home from anywhere in the word, and enough for either 1 other ticket or bail/ransom money.

2. A horse is a romantic idea, but you better check into how much it is to ship a horse on the various legs. Is it really realistic and fair to ask that much out of one horse? You better check out what the animal quarantine regulations are for each border crossing. Some animals get held up for 18 months clearing one customs regulations.

3. A good bicycle with saddlebags would be much more economical and can easily make 50 - 100 miles a day if you want to.

4. The only thing you will regret about a trip like that, would be not going.

Respectively:
1: It'll be hard enough to raise the money I need to get started and you would add $4,000 more?

2: Traveling across the oceans will be a problem, more so because I have a horse with me, but I'll just have to figure something out. (I'll only have to cross oceans three times.) As for quarantines, I'll just have to wait them out (It'll make for a nice break) or avoid that specific country.

3: A bicycle would carry less cargo, and would be more strenuous for me. Besides; I like horses a lot more than bicycles. Also, I want to go slowly about it, to experience the countries I go through. If I wanted efficiency, I could just drive through.

4: For sure. (except I might regret it when I being rained on and it's 33degrees F)
kucomp
Are you planning to go to Antarctica or the North Pole also? I didn't see these places on your list so...
Traveller
ocalhoun wrote:
2: Traveling across the oceans will be a problem, more so because I have a horse with me...

Are you going to have the horse WITH you, or are you going to BE the horse? Wink

(For those of you who don't get the joke, visit ocalhoun's website.)
sky217
You really think $10,000 will be even close to enough money to live for as long as it would take you to walk around the world? And judging from the path you're planning, it's going to be a loooong time that you have to live off that money.

Sure you could walk until you run out of money, find odd jobs, live like a hobo, walk some more, maybe in your lifetime you'll get around the world (if some terrorist group doesn't behead you first). But now you will have missed the best part of your life to save money for the future.

I think you're underestimating how much money it will cost, how much your body can withstand, how much time it will take, how much your horse can take, how much trouble you'll run into and how much of your already brief lifetime you want to waste.

My advice would be to get a good job, save money, start a family, live the american dream. Then take a nice expensive trip around the world with your wife after retirement. It would be more enjoyable with her and you'd have time to actually SEE more of the world.

I suppose it's possible, but I just think there would be easier ways to get your 15 minutes of fame, or to see the world, or whatever else you're really trying to accomplish. Still I guess it would be cool if you actually succeeded. Smile
HoboPelican
sky217 wrote:

... But now you will have missed the best part of your life to save money for the future.

...and how much of your already brief lifetime you want to waste.

My advice would be to get a good job, save money, start a family, live the american dream. Then take a nice expensive trip around the world with your wife after retirement. It would be more enjoyable with her and you'd have time to actually SEE more of the world.

...there would be easier ways to get your 15 minutes of fame, or to see the world, or whatever else you're really trying to accomplish.

Isn't it wonderful, the two totally different viewpoints these guys have? One looking for the the adventure in life, one looking for long term safety. Both have good points. I think most people will live like Sky217 and read stories about guys like Ocalhoun. The human race consists mostly sheep who dream of being eagles.
ocalhoun
^As for SEEing the world, I think I'll actually see more of it my way. Not only that, but I'll see the reality of it, not the polished tourist-attraction side of it. Besides; I want to do this while I'm young and in good health. Later on I may not be able to.
(As for being beheaded by some terrorist organization; If you look at my route, you'll notice I pointedly avoid the middle east.)
As for going to the North and South poles, what's the point in that?
I won't have the right equipment for it, nor the proper training. Also, it's no place for a horse. Also, I won't be able to live mostly off the land, as I plan to do elsewhere. Also, what's there to see but a lot of ice?

Traveller wrote:

Are you going to have the horse WITH you, or are you going to BE the horse?

Preferably the latter, but in all likelihood, the former. Sad

Yes, I do plan to be able to live off of $10,000 for several years;
What expenses will I have?
Travel expenses: Such as for a boat trip across an ocean.
Medical expenses: For me or my horse, including maintenance, such as haircuts or shoeing.
Startup/replacement expenses: For my equipment: to acquire, repair or replace it.
Legal expenses: Any fees/passport costs I have (possibly including the occasional bribe)
Food Expenses: Most of my food will come from hunting and fishing, and my horse will be able to live off the grass in most places, so my food expenses will be very low.

All in all, I think $10,000 should about cover that, if I'm frugal. If not, I may be able to make more.

As for having any savings when I get back, I worry about that as well, but I'm not going to let it stop me. Also, I have a few inventions that I hope to make profitable before the time comes to leave. If nothing else, I could hope to make a profit off of some of my websites.

As for funds for coming home in an emergency; I just thought of something: I'll be carrying thousands of dollars worth of equipment, including firearms and a nice computer: surely I could sell those if I desperately needed some cash...
Dark_Tiger
I think you are VASTLY underestimating what it'll cost to do this, unless you give up almost entirely on doing this legally. Weapons, anmial and hunting/trapping licenses would probably eat up a large hunk of your budget right there, and live freight cargo to get a horse to England by boat (IIRC a 3-4 week trip at the fastest) won't be cheap either.

If you're really thinking about doing this, I'd ditch the horse and get a good pack. Plan on having to take several resupply stops where you work to earn enough for the next leg. There too, you'll be an illegal, but a person is a lot easier to miss than a horse.

EDIT:

While I'm at it, I'm assuming that from Chile you're planning to walk the west coast of South America and into Mexico? On the off chance you don't know already, you can not get a horse over the Andes. I would not attempt to get you over the Andes either, not when you're aclimatized to sea level.
ocalhoun
^As for the money, I'll have to make due somehow; I'm not going to let that stop me.

I hadn't thought of hunting licenses before, so that may be a problem, though if worst comes to worst, I'll just hunt illegally. (I won't be going for big game anyway, just enough for a day's meal.)

As for getting a past obstacles like mountains; there are roads, right?
Dark_Tiger
Through the Andes? There are roads, but you're still talking about a change from 10' AMSL (which you've been at for months at least, and hot too) to over 10,000. Doing that change quickly if you're not used to it will kill any anmial or person, let alone one under load. You're better off staying on the seaside of the mountians, less chance of your horse eating some interesting intoxicants anyway, although it will add 500+ miles to the trip.
jwellsy
It looks to me like most countries have either a 14 or 21 day import and export quarantine periods. So at each border crossing you may have a one month delay at customs. And if you arrive at the border crossings without the proper pre-approved import/export permits and veterinary certifications then they will have a right to destroy the animal at their descretion.

Scroll down about half way down this page to Horse-Live to find various countries animal customs laws.
http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_QueryResults.asp?Commodity=horse&Area=All+Countries&EndUse=All+End+Uses&QueryType=Search

Money and time wise you would be better off just buying and selling a horse in each country and just avoid the shipping and customs hassles.

Maybe I'm just cynical in my old age,
but, I really do believe that you are quite naive about how ruthless people can be, especially to tourist and people that don't speak the local dialect.

A laptop and a firearm will be some of the first things stolen from you.
Then where will you be? You don't stand a chance by yourself against the thugs of the world out there.

I'm not trying to disuade you from going on the trip.
I'm just saying, be as smart as possible and do as much pre-planning as possible.
ocalhoun
^Yes, it may get rough sometimes, but I'll find a way through. Quarantine times will give a nice break, of nothing else. As for legal concerns, I'll just have to wade through it, and as for malevolent foreigners speaking languages I don't understand, I plan to avoid contact, especially in places where I don't understand the language.
Also, I hope to be able to learn the basics of the language of each area as I approach it. My current combination of English and Spanish will already get me along through much of the trip. (USA, Western Europe, Australia, South and Central America already more or less covered.)
Dark_Tiger wrote:
You're better off staying on the seaside of the mountians, less chance of your horse eating some interesting intoxicants anyway, although it will add 500+ miles to the trip.

That was my original plan...
drdestiny
well, as a student, im not sure you can afford it
Dark_Tiger
Have you figured quarantine boarding for the horse and room and board for yourself into the equation? You're looking at over a year in quarantine all told if I'm reading your route correctly.

I do have a couple of positive suggestions if you're really serious about this. First off, reverse your course. If all hell breaks loose, you have a larger window wherein you can still get a ticket back home.

Second, if you're not looking to bring down big game, lose the firearms and get a $20 wrist rocket. You don't need an ammo budget, not having a gun gives one less huge thing to worry about being stolen, and it's less likely to upset the border guards that way.
ocalhoun
Dark_Tiger wrote:
$20 wrist rocket.

WTF is wrist rocket?
*googles*
What I see under wrist rocket is a bunch of slingshots...
I'm not good enough to get a bird or anything with a sling. I'm talking shotgun here.
sky217
Quote:
The human race consists mostly sheep who dream of being eagles.

Yeah, I guess I'm a dreaming sheep. Smile And I suppose it's arguable whether or not that's better than being dead, broke, or alone.

Well, I hope you do at least get to see part of the world, even if you don't finish your trip.
Dark_Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:

WTF is wrist rocket?
*googles*

*boggles*

Um, I don't mean to sound rude, but have you ever lived rough for more than a weekend? I mean full bore, no electricity, shelter, food, or running water for weeks to months?

I ask this because I had assumed that you were at least slightly experienced in surviving outside the money enconomy (which is what we're talking about here). A summer in Nowhere, Nevada and the like. At the very least, I had thought you a swamp rat. I had also been under the impression that terms like wrist rocket, gigger, and so on were within the standard lexicon of someone with that skillset.
MYP415
Sounds like a great plan... I'd definetely like to see teh site/blog that you create durign your journey
genchan
Ya, I think you should do it if you are serious about it. I do hope your horse would be able to keep up with you or vice versa. You gotta feed your horse apart from yourself. If its just to load things, why not a bicycle or a cart or something. Probably cheaper than a life horse. And you won't have problem with quarantine when entering certain countries.

Since you still have time to prepare, may I suggest looking for some sponsors?

Its not something new but its a great idea and along the way you might just wip up a trail of followers Smile
ocalhoun
Dark_Tiger wrote:

I ask this because I had assumed that you were at least slightly experienced in surviving outside the money enconomy (which is what we're talking about here). A summer in Nowhere, Nevada and the like. At the very least, I had thought you a swamp rat. I had also been under the impression that terms like wrist rocket, gigger, and so on were within the standard lexicon of someone with that skillset.

Well, yes, but the Florida cracker lexicon might be a bit different than the Nevada lexicon. When I want to kill a small animal, I use a shotgun (or a fishing rod, whichever is appropriate for the particular animal); is there a more efficient way?
Yes, I can survive outside the money economy alright, but why should I really need to? Mostly I'll be walking along the sides of roads, coming upon towns/cities/villages at least every few days.

Yes I can hunt/fish, yes I can camp, yes I can cook on a campfire, yes I can take care of all the other necessities without modern contrivances, although I've never done all at one time at a stretch, it shouldn't be too difficult to combine all these.
ocalhoun
genchan wrote:

Since you still have time to prepare, may I suggest looking for some sponsors?

Its not something new but its a great idea and along the way you might just wip up a trail of followers Smile

I'd be glad for sponsors, but who would sponsor my trip? And what would they ask in return? That I put their brand name on my shirt? I suppose if someone came to me and asked if I would wear their boots so that they could advertize that their boots walked around the world (for example), I would do it.

As for wipping up a trail of followers, I've decided that I'll no longer be dead-set on doing this solo. Anybody who wants to come, is in good enough shape, and can afford their own equipment (other than what we can share, such as the computer and firearms) is welcome to come along.
(That will have two main advantages:
1: The more people, the more languages we'll be able to speak.
2: The more people, the less likely we are to get mugged / robbed.)
tuncay
The idea is OK except for the fact that I think 10000$ is not enough to cover the expenses. And of course, you should consult a travel tactician - many exist for sailing purposes - to plan your walk to avoid drastic weather changes. Yet it might seem that since you're walking you won't be having drastic changes, that is certainly not the case, the body is adjusting itself from hour to hour - and also month to month, in other words, your body will be expecting the season changes you've been experiencing for all of your life. I am not even talking about normal measures you have to take against severe weather conditions. You say you've been walking, but walking with 20 kgs on your back is sth else.

And I guess it's only an American who thinks of carrying a shotgun around in the world, I am sorry but you'll have to give that idea up in any civilized country except USA.
judelover
walking? what a good idea! Trying to break the record book right?
Dark_Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, yes, but the Florida cracker lexicon might be a bit different than the Nevada lexicon. When I want to kill a small animal, I use a shotgun (or a fishing rod, whichever is appropriate for the particular animal); is there a more efficient way?
Yes, I can survive outside the money economy alright, but why should I really need to? Mostly I'll be walking along the sides of roads, coming upon towns/cities/villages at least every few days.

Well, you'll be outside the money economy because you won't have any money to spend on things like food or lodging, and you won't be allowed to work legally.

By my calaulations, you'll be spending about $1000 on shells and water purification tabs a year alone, assuming that you can carry a long gun (which as others have pointed out, is not a certain thing, particualry through Europe). That's assuming North American prices on ammo, it'd be a lot more expensive elsewhere.

Now, moving hell bent for leather, you MIGHT make 15 miles a day. That's 2 miles/hr plus hunting time, setting up camp, taking down camp, taking care of your horse, and all before the sun goes down. Actually seeing anything on your way cuts into your walking time. Requirements for this kind of living are about 3500 C and at least 4 L of water a day.

If I were doing this, and for the record, I'm a wienie and have only done the more proasiac "hop in the car, drive off in search of America and I'll call as soon as I find it" kind of trips, I'd figure on at least $500 a month and not more than 300 miles net in that time. I'd also leave both the gun and the horse behind. The gun is just asking for trouble and the horse, while very romantic, is not worth the added carrying capacity when you realize the expenses, particulary if you want to explore any large urban cities.
jwellsy
Have you ever seen the wing shooting shows that are filmed in Mexico?
Americans don't take their guns into Mexico.
The lodge owner has guns for Americans to use.

You would be lucky if the only thing they do is confiscate your gun.
Illegal guns or ammo in Mexico is a 5 year vacation
at one of their many fine government hotels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico
ocalhoun
Dark_Tiger wrote:

Well, you'll be outside the money economy because you won't have any money to spend on things like food or lodging, and you won't be allowed to work legally.

And why can't I bring money with me?

As for bringing a gun, perhaps the import laws on that will be extremely strict, but how else could I support myself with no income? Without that, my food expenses would become enormous. Perhaps I could use traps instead; setting a trap every time I make camp; I could depend on just a knife, my strength, and my wits for defense... In any case, I'll at least carry the gun while I'm in the USA.

As for leaving the horse behind, the other guy who walked around the world (mentioned earlier in this thread) brought a mule along with him, so it must be feasible. Have you thought about how much stuff I'd have to carry with me in order to live on the trail indefinitely? do you expect me to carry all that and walk a long distance every day?

As for doing 15 miles a day, I doubt there'll be many single days in which I do less than that, but there will be other days when from bad weather, legal reasons, or plain tiredness that I'll not travel at all, so that would probably be a high estimate for average distance per day. I walked 14 miles a couple of weeks ago, and that only took me about 3.5 hours.
The-Master
I don't know if this has already been suggested but why not something a bit easier like riding your horse round America...
HoboPelican
@ocalhoun-

Lots of good points being brought up here. I am glad to see that you are not letting them disuade you, though. It will be harder than you think it will be, but I'm sure that the experience, no matter how far you get, is going to be the high point of your life. (well, maybe not...you might be the type that will do more!)

I do find it a bit interesting how insistant some people are that you can't do it, you're foolish to try, why bother, etc. It's almost like some people can't stand to see one rise above the herd and try the improbable. Go for it, dude!
Dark_Tiger
HoboPelican wrote:
@ocalhoun-

Lots of good points being brought up here. I am glad to see that you are not letting them disuade you, though. It will be harder than you think it will be, but I'm sure that the experience, no matter how far you get, is going to be the high point of your life. (well, maybe not...you might be the type that will do more!)

I do find it a bit interesting how insistant some people are that you can't do it, you're foolish to try, why bother, etc. It's almost like some people can't stand to see one rise above the herd and try the improbable. Go for it, dude!

For the record, I don't think it's impossible, just much more difficult than he thinks.
ocalhoun
The-Master wrote:

I don't know if this has already been suggested but why not something a bit easier like riding your horse round America...

That would be easier, but would it be better? The main reason I want to do this is to see the world, different cultures, et cetera. I've already seen much of America, and it is good, but I want to see other things, too.

Dark_Tiger wrote:

For the record, I don't think it's impossible, just much more difficult than he thinks.

I have to have some level of self-delusion, or I would grow despondent and give up...
*retreats into own little world*
Dark_Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
Dark_Tiger wrote:

I have to have some level of self-delusion, or I would grow despondent and give up...
*retreats into own little world*

Bah, it's possible, very much so.

***disclaimer: I'm about to dicuss quasi- to completly illeagal things. Don't try this at home kids.***

The easiest way to travel around the world with little or no budget would be as migrant labor. The horse would really not be an option this way, but you might actually come out of it ahead money wise. Europe might be a PITA, but South America and Africa less so.

My method of seeing the world BTW, is a lot more evil and delusioned. My avatar isn't just for kicks, I actually am a field archaeologist. Pompay on someone else's dime, plus I can travel by drawing a red line on a map. Wink