FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wikimapia (Just like Google Earth)

frozenhead
Ok, not too much to say. Here's the link.

www.wikimapia.org

I saw this website a few days ago and it's really cool for those who can't run Google Earth in there PC. Images are also provided by Google.
scotty
That not made by the same people as the people who made wikipedia. Well it doesn't look like it is, its just a more advanced application of the Google Maps API than what I did with the Frihost User Map.
nox-Hand
Looks interesting! I like Google Maps, though, and I am sticking with Google! I am a bit of a Google supporter Razz

**hopes for Google OS to be announced**

Rolling Eyes

/nox
goutha
What's new with this website...

It's the same thing then http://maps.google.com/ with the satellite option on...

I'm even not sure that they can use google maps without any authorization...
scotty
In their TOS for using the API there is a restriction on commercial activity and number of requests per day for the API. It's 50,000 or something.
wiehls
its cool but i dont see a huge use for it just besides looking at some of the interesting inferormation people added.
cool idea though.
{name here}
I'd like to see it read Wikimapia - the open source map of the world anyone can edit Laughing
scotty
{name here} wrote:
I'd like to see it read Wikimapia - the open source map of the world anyone can edit Laughing

How about the map anybody can annotate? It would be silly to let people change the err world?
tribe
I want to throw out another site for your guy's use:

www.local.live.com

It's run by Microsoft but many larger cities have birds eye views from the sky of every angle of the entire city..

Go to New York City for example and click Birds Eye View...

Vere neat... Google Earth still can't be beat!!
soulman
the name of the site is really like... wikipedia
RhysAndrews
Pretty crappy name "Wikimapia".. not that smart. And really, Google Maps/Earth ismuch better. I'm starting to feel sorry for Microsoft, Google and Mozilla are pwning them.

-Rhys
Blaster
Its powered by google. It even says it at the bottam of the map. A lot nicer then google maps though for when you can't download google earth.
proto-man
nox-Hand wrote:
Looks interesting! I like Google Maps, though, and I am sticking with Google! I am a bit of a Google supporter Razz

/nox

What do you mean by that? Wikimapia is also from google, check the bottom of the page. Whether you like GoogleMaps or Wikimapia, you are still supporting Google. Though, Google Maps and Wikimapia (ya, don't love the name) both have a different so you could like them both. Google Maps serves to act more as a guide, like directions while WikiMapia is more for reference, with the annotations. However, as far as I know, they still use the same "engine" or same type of "engine".

Wikimapia still has a long way to go though. Its a little too bland if you ask me. You can tell they it is definitely in alpha stage.

Btw, some of that imagery is beautiful. Try to look at the left coast of Baffin Island, above Hudson Bay in Canada.
erlendhg
Cool
I also like the Frihost User Map, scotty Very Happy
coolclay
Who wouldn't be able to download Googleearth?
dz9c
that thing is awesome.that thing is awesome.that thing is awesome.that thing is awesome.
Yazz
Pretty nice, but doesnt seem like anything new.

Google shall dominate. Become their underlings and you shall be rewarded in the future...
uros
Awesome site. I used it a couple of times, maybe not as good as Google Earth, but they are getting there.

bye
godam64
i can see my office from the top but i'm not sure which one is it??? Laughing
Blaster
dz9c wrote:
that thing is awesome.that thing is awesome.that thing is awesome.that thing is awesome.

your.a.spammer.your.a.spammer.your.a.spammer Razz

No but it is a lot nicer then google maps. But it still isn't as good as google earth.
futurcat
Today most of the accesses to Maps are with a cell phone (smartphone) so unless they come with a mobile app for the most relevant platforms, they are soon out of the game. (Even more than they used to be).