FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I need help setting up a network

Mwilliams
I'm about to start a small business and I will need to set up a network between the Point of service systems and desktop computers. I will have two point of service systems, one server, a switcher, and a router.

My goal is to set up the server so it works as a hard drive for the point of service systems. This is because I want to store all the customer's profiles on the server and the clerk can search any computer in the network and pull up the customer's info. To do this, do i only need to install my software on the server and not each computer?

I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing, If anyone has any suggestions or tutorials for starting a network, please tell me.
ocalhoun
Do you have any POS software?
Usually there will be two versions of the software for each of the roles: server and workstation.
The server would hold your database of items, your records, and your configuration. The workstation would include the software to connect to and update the server, as well as the GUI for the POS.

A question: what exactly did you mean by 'switcher'?

A suggestion: if possible, isolate your POS network from the internet; that way you eliminate all possibility that someone could hack into your POS system. (It needs to be more secure, since it deals with your money.)
vignesh_natraj
Code:
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahcj.html

i think this might just answer your question
good luck