FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wine and Darwine

Saber
Well I was was looking around and now I have a question for you fellow unix and/or mac useres.

I started to look into WINE due to getting a new mac, reading a while I saw that I need to go to Darwines site for they are the ones working on wine for OS x.

To my great dissipointment when I went to the DarWINE site, I saw the news post about how they are shutting it down, so this is my question,(I was going to ask on the WINE irc but I couldnt connect)

Is there plans for the core Wine to include OS X, or am I just going to have to resort to rebooting everytime I want to use something windows(aka bootcamp)?

-saber
JayBee
They don't say that they are shutting it down
http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

activity 99.60% on sourceforge last week
http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/

I thing the project DarWine is aleve

(I'm linux-x86 user, so I have never heard about darwine before)
Saber
hmmm, maybe I have been mislead, I saw this post on 7/25/06
Quote:
OpenDarwin Shutting Down

OpenDarwin was originally created with the goal of providing a development environment for building and developing Mac OS X sources as well as developing a standalone Darwin OS derivative. OpenDarwin was meant to be a development community and a proving ground for fixes and features for Mac OS X and Darwin, which could be picked up by Apple for inclusion in the canonical sources. OpenDarwin has failed to achieve its goals in 4 years of operation, and moves further from achieving these goals as time goes on. For this reason, OpenDarwin will be shutting down.

Over the past few years, OpenDarwin has become a mere hosting facility for Mac OS X related projects. The original notions of developing the Mac OS X and Darwin sources has not panned out. Availability of sources, interaction with Apple representatives, difficulty building and tracking sources, and a lack of interest from the community have all contributed to this. Administering a system to host other people's projects is not what the remaining OpenDarwin contributors had signed up for and have been doing this thankless task far longer than they expected. It is time for OpenDarwin to go dark.

Project admins for all active projects have been notified, and we will be working with them to provide as seamless a transition to their new homes as possible. We don't want to boot anyone off, we will be operating the machines as usual for several months, until everyone has had a chance to move elsewhere.

We will continue to provide email and dns redirection after the machines go dark. We'll be looking at what other redirection services are needed and can be provided after hosting has ceased.

The OpenDarwin team would like to thank everyone who did contribute to the project, and our apologies to active, loyal projects that have to move.

Thanks,
- OpenDarwin Core Team and Administrators

I havent found otherwise, maybe Im just over looking something. I guess I have more reading to do while in class.
Thanks, I hope your right,

-saber
ocalhoun
Doesn't mac OSX include the ability to run windows or windows programs?
JayBee
Saber wrote:
... I hope your right

I'm not right Sad but there is the project OpenDarwin that was concurency OS for MacOS X. -> OpenDarwin is shut down.

But derivated project DarWine (Wine for MacOS X) is styll aliv Smile
mikethm
I have tried BootCamp and it work perfect except for a few minor hitches like firewire won't work.

Wine on the other hand is full of dll issues.

So personally I wouldn't be bothered with Wine if I have a IntelMac machine. Which is practically the case when you buy a Mac today.
Saber
hmmm, Im attempting to do Boot camp but Im having a problem getting windows to work.

The cd with drivers keeps on giving and error,
" Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation.

Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information."

and I cant shut down without it freezing.

sigh..
-saber