FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Changing hosts

awesty
I am not looking to do this anytime soon, but I am just curious in case my site starts to grow.

What would I have to do if I wanted to transfer my site from this server to a different host? Can it be done easily with something like DirectAdmin or would it be a long, boring and frustrating process?
shoes22
I imagine it wouldn't be too hard...just download whatever files are in your ftp storage and download a copy of the MYSQL database if you are using one and just dump the data over to a new host.
awesty
is there a way you can just transfer everything from one to another?
scotty
Well if your new host uses Direct Admin you might be able to restore the site from a backup on your new host.
awesty
Okay, thanks Smile
Jaan
if you use CMS like Joomla, you might have to reconfig...... I think
Hunterseaker
You just have to move your files and restore your backups, thats the easiest part of the whole transfer, the hardest and most time consuming thing is: mail all the webmasters of the site's your link is on. And add your page to the searchengines again. The transfer can be done within a day, tho tell everything that your url has changed, that takes a lot of time.
scotty
Hunterseaker wrote:
You just have to move your files and restore your backups, thats the easiest part of the whole transfer, the hardest and most time consuming thing is: mail all the webmasters of the site's your link is on. And add your page to the searchengines again. The transfer can be done within a day, tho tell everything that your url has changed, that takes a lot of time.

He has his own domain so the URL is unlikely to change.