FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virgin Coconut Oil

budiman
Dear Netter,

Not long ago, I had my general medical check up and they found that my colesterol was a little bit high. They said it was common today due to out diet for fast food.

One of interesting suggestion is to consume Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO). It claims that the oil can reduce my LDL colesterol level and increase my HDL colesterol level. The oil also has some others usages beside helping my colesterol problems liked fighting infection in my body, etc which I can not remember everythings.

Has anybody tried this VCO before? Will it work to reduce my LDL colesterol?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Budiman
bambholebaba
I have not used it and can never consume it as edible oil. But it is promoted by many phillipines' companeys and it is also an usual edible oil used in southern coastal part of India. You may try it if U can eat it.

see here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0976057808/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/102-7882913-8034553?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
Nikkori
In my country, there is Purity Virgin Coconut Oil. They say it is great for treating High blood pressures, elimintating toxins, repairing skins etc...
Rico
Sorry no, personally Im trying to kill myself by eating as much poly saturated fats and cancer causing carcinogens as what I can handle without experiencing what is commonly known as the technicolor yawn. Its going pretty well, my doctor has banned me from his practice (he is family) and my loan application for a luxury coffin has been short list for approval. Yay!
raghu.steppenwolf
olive oil and gingelly oil are supposed to have the lowest content of cholestrol causing fats. you might want to check it out. coconut oil is quite cholestrol rich.
marcmgeronimo
I have not tried this but in my country, virgin coconut oil has become a fad for some health buffs here. I even have a friend who did a television commercial promoting virgin coconut oil.

I might try this out soon.
meet in rio
My grandparents just have those Benecol drinks and also use a Benecol spread instead of margarine/butter. It's worked very well for them both.
jobu
YES! I have and its delicious. I eat a spoonful for fun every time i take it out to cook.

Depending on your location you should really try to get some fish in you as well. The fish oils are good as well.

Flax seed oil salad dressing is better than processed oils.

Depending on how old you are, you should edjucate yourself on the body. Go down to the healthfood store and see what you can find out. I recommend any raw food book for learning about nutrition.

Sugar blues is a good book to start with too. if you want more books I can walk upstairs to my library and give you a list of good ones. just pm me if you ever come back here Smile
em0o
oh wow, I've never considered the health benefits of what coconut offers. I generally don't touch anything that has coconut just because I don't like it. That bit of info is reallly interesting
mstreet
My husband has a teaspoon of Flax Oil every morning and swears by it. I have good things about virgin coconut oil as well. If you can use it, it won't hurt to try it once.
nigam
Hi that's true am from philippines Virgin Coconut Oil is good for you. it's edible. if you're interested you can contact me. we're selling...
crimson_aria
I don't really like the taste of Virgin Coconut Oil, but I drink one tablespoon per day.
Captain Fertile
Rico wrote:
Sorry no, personally Im trying to kill myself by eating as much poly saturated fats and cancer causing carcinogens as what I can handle without experiencing what is commonly known as the technicolor yawn. Its going pretty well, my doctor has banned me from his practice (he is family) and my loan application for a luxury coffin has been short list for approval. Yay!

ROFL - cracking post! Made me laugh out load and long. I'm living La Vida Loca myself. Very Happy
eldon_r
budiman wrote:
Quote:
Has anybody tried this VCO before?

Sure have! I'm knocking myself out on it (figure of speech, don't worry!)

I've been having it regularly (some most days) since over a year ago, when my wife read a book about it and we did a bit more follow up research to make sure it wasn't just someone with a major shareholding in a virgin coconut oil company...

We tried one brand and didn't like it much, then our local organic retailer (aren't we lucky?!) found another brand that we think is singularly delicious. Organic virgin coconut oil.

And yes, I believe what I've read about it, that it's good stuff for your health.

Now, apparently there are those who don't want us to believe this, people who are more interested in profits from other industries that produce competing goods that have become the de facto standard -- and that could easily be pushed off their perch by coconut oil if the truth gets out enough. Have anyone else here heard those conspiracy theories?
indianinworld
Apart from this, there is also a belief that Coconut Oil is used to treat mouth ulcers and taking a little amount of coconut oil daily will keep you away from mouth ulcers.

And you will have a glowing natural skin too Razz
Serafina
I don't know about coconut oil, but my doctor said that canola oil is generally the healthiest type of cooking oil.
vw_bugg
What exactaly constitutes a "Virgin Coconut"?
rocknrandy
I'm new to the forum - I found this thread while doing some research.

I would tell you what a virgin coconut is but we are likely in mixed company. The official version is that it is cold pressed below 120 degrees F or expellar pressed, with no chemical alteration. Expellar is mechanical pressing but may generate some heat dut to the pressure required to mash out certain oils. The heat is still well below heat extracting methods, which are usually above 400 degrees F.

VCO is not quite rich in Cholestrol. The label of the brand I use reads "0" cholestrol. It is well documented that VCO lowers HDL and raises LDL. You may get a rise in your count but it is likely due to an increase in the good LDL cholestrol component.

I could post some reference links but I joined Frihost just to answer the thread and am not sure if linking is allowed.

Have a great day!

rr
darvit
rocknrandy wrote:

I could post some reference links but I joined Frihost just to answer the thread and am not sure if linking is allowed.

I'm sure that linking is allowed, as long as the links follow the TOS, of course. Razz Links for reference and further reading are more than welcome, I think.

Anyway, they say that virgin coconut oil would lose its beneficial properties once you cook it [why is it called "virgin" coconut oil in the first place? Wink] so it is recommended that you take it in its purest form.

My grandfather was [and still is, I guess] an advocate for the use of this [he's a US-trained physician, who is now retired and so he dabbles in alternative Eastern/Asian medicine]. He once wrote a long explanation of how this works. It has been said that Virgin Coconut Oil also can fight against viruses. My entire family has been very skeptical about this, though. I should look for his paper when I get the time and perhaps post a link in here when I find it. If I find it... Laughing
rocknrandy
Hi Darvit, The benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil are well documented. Here is a link to some references:

http://www.coconutoil.com/research.htm

Many are from PHDs and MDs. Some are testimonials, which are worthless in the world of science. They can indicate a trend. Most of them refer to an improvement in blood lipid counts. This is a good indicator if all contributing factors are considered.

Along the same lines of increased cholestrol, there is a growing camp out there of reputable researchers and Doctors who beleive the corealtion between high lipd counts and Coronary Heart Disease is antiquated and in need of serious revision. High Cholestrol has been shown to have a positive effect on the immune sysytem. Here is a link to a paper that references a large MetaStudy and some other long term studies to support it's claims:

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/96/12/927?ijkey=172mwKXqzgmtE&keytype=ref

I'd like to read your Grandfather's paper.

Have a great day!!!

Medical Disclaimer

Any information or remarks from rocknrandy are provided for your general information only. Randy does not give medical advice or engage in the practice of medicine. Randy under no circumstances recommends particular treatment for specific individuals and in all cases recommends that you consult your physician or local treatment center before pursuing any course of treatment.
edzofcit
Virgin Coconut oil has many uses. This is very healthy. In fact, it can improve the looks of your hair and can produce healthy skin. It's now been use for dermal purposes.
sopetite
VCO is great!

Although it may taste bad, the effects of this miraculous oil is tremendous. It is infact the NUMBER ONE product in our country.
vineeth
I don't think there are any scientific studies regarding the VCO and its ability to reduce cholesterol. Our medical university is conducting a research on this but its results are not published yet...
TBSC
Coconut oil is a very healthy oil. It used to be used, along with palm oil, in commercial baked and fried goods, and was heart-healthy. You can find much research documenting the health benefits of coconut oil online.

Palm oil is another tropical oil that is good for you. Both healthy palm oil and coconut oil should be non-hydrogenated, of course. Hydrogenated oils are bad for you.

A while ago palm oil was used in commercial fast food french fries. It was healthy! Not now though, although recently there was a ban on trans fats usage in restaurants in New York, which may cause restaurants to go back to coconut and palm oils: they are both healthy and cheap!

For the skin:

Coconut oil is great for applying to the skin and hair topically! Smile
rocknrandy
Hi vineeth,

Did you check the link to the studies in my post?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=14608053&query_hl=5

This is from The Journal of Nutrition and published in PubMed:

1: J Nutr. 2003 Nov;133(11):3422-7. Links
A diet rich in coconut oil reduces diurnal postprandial variations in circulating tissue plasminogen activator antigen and fasting lipoprotein (a) compared with a diet rich in unsaturated fat in women.Mller H, Lindman AS, Blomfeldt A, Seljeflot I, Pedersen JI.
University College of Akershus, 1356 Bekkestua, Norway. hanne.muller@ihf.nlh.no

The effects of high and low fat diets with identical polyunsaturated/saturated fatty acid (P/S) ratios on plasma postprandial levels of some hemostatic variables and on fasting lipoprotein (a) [Lp(a)] are not known. This controlled crossover study compared the effects of a high fat diet [38.4% of energy (E%) from fat; HSAFA-diet, P/S ratio 0.14], a low fat diet (19.7 E% from fat; LSAFA-diet, P/S ratio 0.17), both based on coconut oil, and a diet with a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) and PUFA (38.2 E% from fat; HUFA-diet, P/S ratio 1.9) on diurnal postprandial levels of some hemostatic variables (n = 11) and fasting levels of Lp(a) (n = 25). The postprandial plasma concentration of tissue plasminogen activator antigen (t-PA antigen) was decreased when the women consumed the HSAFA-diet compared with the HUFA-diet (P = 0.02). Plasma t-PA antigen was correlated with plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 (PAI-1) activity when the participants consumed all three diets (Rs = 0.78, P < 0.01; Rs = 0.76, P < 0.01; Rs = 0.66, P = 0.03; on the HSAFA-, the LSAFA- and the HUFA-diet, respectively), although the diets did not affect the PAI-1 levels. There were no significant differences in postprandial variations in t-PA activity, factor VII coagulant activity or fibrinogen levels due to the diets. Serum fasting Lp(a) levels were lower when women consumed the HSAFA-diet (13%, P < 0.001) and tended to be lower when they consumed the LSAFA-diet (5.3%, P = 0.052) than when they consumed the HUFA-diet. Serum Lp(a) concentrations did not differ when the women consumed the HSAFA- and LSAFA-diets. In conclusion, our results indicate that a coconut oil-based diet (HSAFA-diet) lowers postprandial t-PA antigen concentration, and this may favorably affect the fibrinolytic system and the Lp(a) concentration compared with the HUFA-diet. The proportions of dietary saturated fatty acids more than the percentage of saturated fat energy seem to have a beneficial influence on Lp(a) levels.

PMID: 14608053 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I would reckon that qualifies as science to me. Search the medical journals for references as a part of the study your school is doing. There are many more out there.

Best Regards,

rr

Medical Disclaimer

Any information or remarks from rocknrandy are provided for your general information only. Randy does not give medical advice or engage in the practice of medicine. Randy under no circumstances recommends particular treatment for specific individuals and in all cases recommends that you consult your physician or local treatment center before pursuing any course of treatment.