FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Retro Gaming

Starflier
Ok, first things first, I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer... It takes me months to finish any game, even a twelve-level freeware sidescroller.

I was raised on Super Mario Brothers and Commander Keen (well, and Math Rescue, Jill of the Jungle, The Treehouse, Logic Quest, Dr. Brain, Putt-Putt's Fun Pack... You get the drill) And I find most modern games nice to look at, but hard to pick up and play. (That PS controler... Way to many buttons...) And while I enjoy a good game of Ratchet and Clank as much as the next guy, My tastes keep coming back to classic-style games.

My favorites tend to be platformers, adventure games (either text based or point and click) and arcady space shooters. Beyond actual old shareware titles that can be downloaded, a lot of people make games with a very classicy feel to them. I recently finished a title from Pixeljam games called Gamma Brothers, that looks and plays really cool.

Anyone else have any favorites?
matrixuk321
Starflier wrote:
Ok, first things first, I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer... It takes me months to finish any game, even a twelve-level freeware sidescroller.

I was raised on Super Mario Brothers and Commander Keen (well, and Math Rescue, Jill of the Jungle, The Treehouse, Logic Quest, Dr. Brain, Putt-Putt's Fun Pack... You get the drill) And I find most modern games nice to look at, but hard to pick up and play. (That PS controler... Way to many buttons...) And while I enjoy a good game of Ratchet and Clank as much as the next guy, My tastes keep coming back to classic-style games.

My favorites tend to be platformers, adventure games (either text based or point and click) and arcady space shooters. Beyond actual old shareware titles that can be downloaded, a lot of people make games with a very classicy feel to them. I recently finished a title from Pixeljam games called Gamma Brothers, that looks and plays really cool.

I have lots of favourite games! here are a few (for pc):

I play Cod2 ( call of duty 2 ) , Bf2142 ( Battlefield 2142 ) ,Battlefield 2 , Half life 2 , Cod1 , Wow ( world of warcraft ) and Guild wars!

i realy like all of them games, with half life 2 i got a game called counter strike but its realy bad! dont buy it, its fulls of cheaters who cant play games properly
Starflier
Not dissing you or anything, but those tend to be the new games that I was talking about... I heard that Half-Life 2 had a really awesome physics engine though...
moonblade
I like the old adventure games, actually, like MI series, Sam & Max, Grim Fandango and such... Space Quests are also great. And not too long time ago, there'd been a Pirate Loves Ninja game out, you might want to try it out, it has exactly that old platformer feel to it, together with the sprite graphics. There's a demo available for download on the net.

Ah yes, and HL2 actually just uses Havok (or the other one, slipped my mind) physics package well in their Source technology, it's not their own engine. *winks*
chizeled
I used to play Donkey Kong, Pac Man and Asteriods. The oldies but goodies. That was when Atari was popular, then came Nintendo. Changed everything. Now that is Retro. That was when I was in seventh grade.
lop10a16
And I link JXonline was designed kingsoft
Cool Cool
Studio Madcrow
I LOVE old games. I feel that, in general the SNES/Genesis era was the best for games: gaming was mature enough to have nice 2D graphics and good sound and music but still new enough that there were plenty of new ideas coming through. ChronoTrigger (SNES) has to be my all time favorite RPG, while Sonic 2 (Genesis/Mega Drive) is pure platform goodness.

BTW, there's a whole site devoted to freeware games that are either remakes or classics or otherwise have a classic-y feel to them. For plenty of LEGAL free gaming goodness, check out http://www.reloaded.org/
arkebuzer
Starflier wrote:

Old mario (for nintendo 8bit and super nintendo) are still great, and old games like across and such are also great fun.
Im very addicted to a online game called Tibia... Im not sure you can call it retro since its still online, and growing, but it was first created over 10 years ago.
RT Cunningham
Through the years, I can count how many games I played and enjoyed. Having said that, I have never played any games for anything more recent than the Sega Genesis.

I played games on the C64, the Ninendo, the Super Nintendo, and on the PC. Since my children started playing video games, I lost interest in playing them. I used to watch them play and that was enough for me.

Here's a list, in no special order:

Donkey Kong
Super Mario Bros / Super Mario Bros 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
Galaga
Galaxians
Gorf
Doom / Doom II
Duke Nukem 3D
Asteroids
Space Invaders
Tetris
Leisure Suit Larry / Leisure Suit Larry 2
Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man

I still have Doom and Doom II and use them with the JDoom package on Windows XP. The graphics are better and the gameplay is faster.

I recently upgraded my Duke Nukem 3D with code to run on XP. My son has been playing it for several days. He laughs out loud while playing (even though he's using a headset) and it echos throughout the house.

I'm sure their are some games I missed, but they don't come to mind right now -- old age is setting in...
Victus13
Though I've played alot of those Older games, I was raised on the SNES and most of the games on it hold the places in my favorites.

Super Mario World, All of the Final Fantasy's Very Happy , Zelda, Megaman, Earthbound. Laughing Oh, and Super Mario RPG..
Nutteloos
Basically any game using the Scumm engine... MI series, DotT, Sam&Max, the Dig, etc.

Grim Fandango was great, too.

I'm also quite a fan of some old puzzle games. Lost Vikings (1&2) were great games, and quite some others. Can't recall now. A while back I spent quite some time strolling around Abandonia.com for all those games I played when I was like, 8 or so and didn't understand sh*t about back then.
Arseniy
My favouritest retro game is Wing Commander. Another one is Transport Tycoon. Then StarCraft, Civilization, Legend of Kyrandia (all parts), Quake 1,2, Doom 1,2, etc...
I cannot remember all things I played and I loved.
tkGER
I love the old LucasArts games. You know, the first two monkey islands (I love the curse of monkey island and also the escape from monkey island, but they're not the same), indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, the Goblins series (I especially like the GoblIIIns) and all those.
I really reccommend that site (www.abandonia.com). If you used to have a 1.3 Gb Hard Disk and now you have a bigger disk, start downloading all those games you had to erase because your disk was full Cool
Dr4goN
I like old Doom 2. It's a nice game. But what I really enjoyed was Quake 1 & 2. I still play these games when I have some time.
cuckoo
The old Mario Brothers games will always beat the rest! Here's a good emulated version:

Controls:
[Arrows] - Up, Down, Left, Right
[Enter] - Start Button
[Shift] - Select Button
[X] - A Button
[Z] - B Button
[Space] - All Buttons

http://www.mofunzone.com/online_games/mario_brothers.shtml
eday2010
My all-time favourite Retro game (platformer at least), has to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the Sega Genesis. This game is so massive, with huge levels, to this day I still find new stuff. I have played through this game many many times. It's fast, looks great, the music is awesome, and it just seems to never lose its luster.

Ristar for the Genesis is also very awesome, and is Sonic 2. And I have to mention Super Mario World, Super CastleVania IV, Bubsy, and lots of others I can't think of at the moment!
yhally
hmmm! i love to play the old mario bros. and mario in america. its kinda fun adn also the 1942 game ^_^ and if somebody knows twinbee, i play it in arcade also...
kks2john
On the topic of LucasArts games, theres new Sam and Max games out, havent tried it yet, they are being released in "Episode" format, so instead of 1 big game its split into smaller episodes, i think 6 episodes all up and the newest one is Ep4.

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax
jamie2980
ok i recone the best altime game is...
mario because it has best levels and loads of kinds.

consoles best of time:

N65
sega
super nintendo
mega drive

thats the ones i like so........

dont complane Rolling Eyes
Ghengis
I too was raised on Apple ][ and old DOS games, but I find that many of them don't hold up when I go back and try them again. I think games have been getting better ever since -- sure a ton of current titles are crap, but there's exponentially more so there's still a lot of quality stuff if you know where to look.

And I can't believe there was a thread like this about "retro" titles without the following links:

www.the-underdogs.info
www.virtualapple.org

Trust me, try them both -- you'll be glad you did.
guugu
I also loved MI series. played those all trough Cool very first MI was some serious pixel clicking i must say
Sneemaster
I really enjoyed the old Xwing series games, and Homeworld (awesome), Starcraft and the old C&C games. Don't forget the Kings Quest/Space Quest/Hero's Quest games. But even better were the old DOS games like Starflight, Congo Bongo, and the Dragonlance D&D games (I played those games for years).
Jamie Summersett
Maybe you can get a nentendo64 somewhere, and play super smash bros melee, work your way up the ladder to legend of zelda the ocarina of time. Don't stress over the fact you like certain games vs other newer games. Some would call that "old school gaming". How ever I am very adept at picking up new things so if it's a game I realy want to play I can learn the controls and before long I'm submerged into it. Wink
basementgamesltd
Hey all,

I agree, I enjoy the classic games as well. My favorites when I were growing up included Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy, Oregon Trail (I played that in school all the time during my classes, especially Library Class, ugh! lol), all the Sonic games, Goldeneye, Space Station: Silicon valley (just to name a few) I mean, these games really had something that attracted me to them. Almost something on a personal level, and as a kid, that's important. I also got a kick out of leaving the systems on overnight, because on some older games like Mario, there was never a save function.

I enjoyed playing many of these older style video games while I was growing up throughout elementary and high school. Here are some great games I loved playing (in no particular order)

Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy
Oregon Trail
Sonic 1,2,3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Knuckles Chaotix
All the Marios (Mario 2 was strange)
Goldeneye
Space Station: Silicon Valley
Starcraft
Wolfenstein 3d
Doom 1,2
Final Doom
Baldur's Gate
Bubsy

Anyone who's played or knows of these games, please post something here so we can have your input.

Keep it real...
spinout
mine are:

pacman
asteroids
track n field
boulder dash (c64 version)