FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Earth / Interesting things about Google

Manofgames
Has anyone ever gone on google earth and done stuff like area 51??

Just go on google and type in area 51 and it takes you there Very Happy

odd considering how the US say it doesn't exist Smile

Anyone else know of any cool google earth locations / interesting things to do with Google
Blaster
Hmm you should see if you could find the great wall of china. They say it can be seen from space. But i cant' find it for some reason.
Josso
Yes, area 51 is great. I've browsed quite a lot of places around the world and sometimes just randomly picked places to look at (really fun). Infact I want to download it again, my brother was quite concerned because it was accessing quite a lot of things (check Google Earth settings on the firewall) but I reminded him it was Google and also that it needs to link up to quite a few things (there are links to the Google Earth forums and things?).
Manofgames
yes, and all of the info points around 'The globe'

It does take up a few points i suppose
Helios
Nice...I'll check it out now and post a screenshot Smile

EDIT:

Here you go
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4181/area51da7.jpg

Looks like a big base... what's that thing in the middle of the field though?
Manofgames
Id say either conning tower or space ship Very Happy lol

after all, this is area 51

EDIT: There is actually a thing that looks either like a huge lorry, or somthing going VERY fast in one of the images.

Ill go and get the co-ords
Helios
It does look strange... :\
Manofgames
check this out!!!

Image removed by Daniel15; it was making the page stretch out. Please see http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/4664/imgsn4.jpg for the image
Helios
Lol, yeah, I noticed that too... I think it's a glitch in the image... I find many glitches like these while browsing through GE.

It also might be a rocket car, Laughing
scotty
The used to be a stealth fighter jet in one of these bases. I'm not sure if it was Area 51 but it still looked cool. F117 I think it was, the pointy one! Razz
coolclay
Wow I'll be darned, imagine that, buildings, and planes at a military base. I never would have imagined.
darrenpaul
Quote:
odd considering how the US say it doesn't exist

Area 51 itself does exist, what the US government say goes on their is what "doesn't" exist.
nilsmo
There are many sites which show off interesting Google Earth views. Here's one: http://virtualglobetrotting.com/
hofodomo01
Of course the place exists. What the governemt says they do...is another question the Google guys need to investigate Very Happy
KOS-MOS-88
i have found the USS Arizona at pearl harbor...i was pretty neat to see the ship under water
tribe
I like looking at airports on Google Earth.
The cool thing is looking at the runway approach to about 5-10 miles out and seeing the actual planes airborne in the air....

Go to any large city and zoom out from a runway and you will likely see at least one.

Google Earth is really nice, but I wish it had every location available and I wished new images would be added within the first few weeks of it being done.
Icedmetal57
You can see Area 51 on google earth? I gotta try that some time.
Loghete
Manofgames wrote:

Anyone else know of any cool google earth locations / interesting things to do with Google

Oh, I found a guide how to find it in Google Maps once a long time ago. You couldn't just search for it in the search bar, you had to find it yourself.
Hobbit
Manofgames wrote:

Before I even read the actual topic, I was already thinking about area 51. And yes, I've seen it, nothing special though.
angelboy1104
i also got heared about google earth....but is it nice?
Kyraxe
Google Earth is awesome. Google Maps is also very cool, the satellite pictures you can see are amazing, who knows in a few years you could maybe even zoom in and see people moving around!
neji
I think that what Kyraxe said could be happen.
But if i would like to my city... I can't se a thing (i see bleu green and gray (land, whater and city Very Happy)

So first off all i expect that google is still searching better pictures... So you can see the whole world in a qualtiy like you can see the site of the twin towers in NY... Surprised
scotty
Kyraxe wrote:
Google Earth is awesome. Google Maps is also very cool, the satellite pictures you can see are amazing, who knows in a few years you could maybe even zoom in and see people moving around!

I doubt it. Satellites can't stay still (geosynchronous) unless its over the equator. And also what would be the point of many satellites orbiting just to watch people? Very expensive invasion of privacy.
Manofgames
scotty wrote:
Kyraxe wrote:

I doubt it. Satellites can't stay still (geosynchronous) unless its over the equator. And also what would be the point of many satellites orbiting just to watch people? Very expensive invasion of privacy.

I imagine though that it wouldn't be a problem for the military though.

In battlefield 2 (Yes, i know its a game, but this might be / in the future might be true) if your the commander, you can zoom right in on the battlefield and you can watch people running around in real time.

It might be possible, but would be very complicated.
Star Wars Fanatic
Manofgames wrote:
scotty wrote:
Kyraxe wrote:

I imagine though that it wouldn't be a problem for the military though.

In battlefield 2 (Yes, i know its a game, but this might be / in the future might be true) if your the commander, you can zoom right in on the battlefield and you can watch people running around in real time.

It might be possible, but would be very complicated.

They actually do have the capability to do this, and they do.

Also on Google Earth, they once got a lady sunbathing nude on her deck, it was removed soon after they had it up.
Did anyone ever see the Google moon? If you zoom in all the way you see Swiss cheese.
Parts of China don't show up, as the Chinese government had Google remove images of certain facilities.
scotty
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:

Prove it.

As I said, it is physically impossible to have a satellite stay 'still' over any part of the earth unless it is the equator. Don't believe me look at this:

http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/JTrack/3D/JTrack3D.html

You see the big band, they are all geostationary meaning they stay still and guess what, they're all over the equator.
Star Wars Fanatic
scotty wrote:
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:

Prove it.

As I said, it is physically impossible to have a satellite stay 'still' over any part of the earth unless it is the equator. Don't believe me look at this:

http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/JTrack/3D/JTrack3D.html

You see the big band, they are all geostationary meaning they stay still and guess what, they're all over the equator.

Sorry, I meant that they have satalites that zoom in on people, although I do believe they have satalites that do stay 'still' over the same part of the earth for things like satalite tv and communication devices (cell phones, ect...).
scotty
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Sorry, I meant that they have satalites that zoom in on people, although I do believe they have satalites that do stay 'still' over the same part of the earth for things like satalite tv and communication devices (cell phones, ect...).

The satellite TV and Communication satellites are all over the equator in that band. Click on that names in that Java thing and you can see they are all communication satellites.
caroline
On that note, I believe that if you type in a certain Google employee name, you will be directed to the Google Headquarters location! Unfortunately, I do not remember which Google employee it is... I do remember that the Google employee in question is Asian D:
monzoncf
I've bee using this software for about a couple of months. This software really amazing and fantastic. But, unfortunately some places are blured or just a grassy place and clouds. I hope that google will upload new images to Google Earth.
HoboPelican
scotty wrote:
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:

The satellite TV and Communication satellites are all over the equator in that band. Click on that names in that Java thing and you can see they are all communication satellites.

Actually, I think the relative motion of the satellite is much less of a roadblock than that fact that you'd need a camera for everyuser! A single sat in geo sync would be able to monitor a given area for a decent percentage of its travels. Two or three sats in similar orbits could give 24/7 coverage. But you still would need a lot of cameras/sat to make it useful like we are contemplating.
Manofgames
well, it could be used to spy on a couple of people (Oussama watch out Very Happy )

What'd be really good is to test it on someone Very Happy

Imagine spying on G. Bush or Tony Blair / Other leader Very Happy
scotty
You're right about using multiple satellites and I think we all realise how ridiculous is would be to have a camera on ever person. I'd have to say it would be useless. Far cheaper to just get an aeroplane up or a car following them and also who cares? Seriously this is a silly idea. Let's go back to talking about whatever this topic was about to begin with Razz
soulman
I belive Google Earth cannot see everything for security reason... so the Area 51 may just a illusion or a place that user added for fun....
Manofgames
soulman wrote:
I belive Google Earth cannot see everything for security reason... so the Area 51 may just a illusion or a place that user added for fun....

mmm you got a point there.

Im also trying the nasa version, not quite as good as google earth, but has some good layers, and the resolution is pretty good too.