FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Mommy Hideout

Cwin1024
This is a web site for young mothers to learn things about pregnancy, parenting, relationships/marriage, housekeeping, and recipes. It also has a link to The Mommy Hideout Forum.

http://www.themommyhideout.com/
pampoon
Ha, good idea. If you could get a game that allows the mom to shoot a kid's head off, my mom would be there everytime she get mad at us (which is about 55% of the day).

God bless,
Pampoon
benjad
1st tip, you are already using a template that uses CSS. Continue to use it. Every page has a different font/size which throws off the uniformity of your site... is distracting.

Hopefully the CSS gurus will speak up and tell us more about what needs to be fixed, because in firefox, none of the contents line up well at all. Most objects overflow their containers.

Re-work the background image so that it looks good when repeated. The patern is discontinuous across the edges, and looks pretty bad above 800x600...

no way to get back 'home' after leaving the first page

be careful of file names with spaces and upper/lower case letters... not all servers are friendly to them. Also, cautious of long names.

Overall, I would rate it a site with potential, but at the moment shows some serious flaws. Please do keep working on it.

(Also, a little disclaimer on medical information might be in order, especially if you take on advertisers)
billybob
I think that you have a good idea, it seems to be a original (ish) idea althogh i haven't really looked for these sites before...

apart from the problems noted by the above post i think:

The text although looks nice and fits with the theme is slightly hard to read especially on the buttons may be the size could be increased?

I also think there are a little too many ads per page.

Apart from these and the problems mentioned in the above post i think that its a good idea for a site.

hope it goes well
ryan
benjad
haaa.. score another one for firefox and adblock. I didn't even know there were advertisements on the site. Turned it off, and they all started poping up.

Keep plugging away at it...
aningbo
too much of div usage... have you ever tried opening your website in another computer with a different resolution? you should. its opening but i know its not the way you wanted.

btw, the site's not for me Embarassed my wife someday may find it useful if i ever get married. Twisted Evil
rayx
Nice site good layout for a mom look.
Cwin1024
I see what you mean about firefox, and different screen resolutions. But I don't know how I would fix the problem? I'm using microsoft frontpage and when I see my page, it looks fine. I did notice the font is too small in some places. I just find it so hard to force myself to change the font. I will though if I need to. Can anyone give some advice on how to change the page so it looks good on any browser and resolution?

BTW, thanks for the constructive criticism.
Technaut
i like the theme. Very Happy very nice. those adspace ads kinda riun it, though. put thos at the bottom.
benjad
Cwin1024 wrote:
I see what you mean about firefox, and different screen resolutions. But I don't know how I would fix the problem?

I took a look at the image. Not sure if you have access to a larger original copy of this. What you could do is to look at the image very carefully, and re-cut it, so that anytime the same tile is stacked below, and next to it, the pattern cotinues across. I would also recommend using a paint program to scrub out that grey line, as that makes it harder to tile the picture properly

Quote:
I'm using microsoft frontpage and when I see my page, it looks fine.

Search the forums for oppinions on MS Frontpage. My oppinion, great to learn what HTML is capable of using frontpage, but don't spend too much time learning the advanced features of frontpage. Instead, learn php/mysql. But frontpage can give you a great start in HTML. Don't preview in only IE, firefox is approaching 35% of my hits anymore.

Quote:
I did notice the font is too small in some places. I just find it so hard to force myself to change the font. I will though if I need to.
This is the best advice anyone can give. Don't change the style of the text. Especially when it all goes into the same text box on a different page. Learn about CSS as it referrs to styles, and learn how to use CSS to do the text formatting consistently.

If you are going to stick with frontpage for a while, just choose one font (size, style, and decoration) for each text area, and stick with it across all pages.

Quote:
Can anyone give some advice on how to change the page so it looks good on any browser and resolution?
This is the holy grail of web design. Best advice we all can give is to keep on playing with things, and then testing them in multiple browers at multiple resolutions. Also, strongly consider accessibility issues.

Last piece of advice, remember that designing a web page is NOT like laying out a design for a piece of paper. All the content is laid out when the browser loads a page. Center for one browser at one resolution is diffferent for a different browser at another resolution. Learn to accept that the page will look different in each browser/resolution and figure out how to make it look best in most.

(Oh yeah, and putting the tag line "Best viewed in 800x600 resolution in Internet Explorer" is cheating).

BTW, thanks for the constructive criticism.[/quote]