FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bad Neighbors

Codeman1
My neighbors complained to the association that manages the complex I live at for my dog barking. I've tried several things to get my dog to be quiet but to no avail. I kept him over at a friend's house, but now I am being told if I don't pick him up by tomorrow, they'll bring him to the pound I was looking at ways to stop the barking online, and because time is of the essence, professional training is not exactly an option. I was considering de-barking surgery, as hurendous as that is. And I don't want him to die! And surgery has risks... anyway he is Border-Collie and I've tried a shock collar in the past *sigh* and that didn't phase him.

Any ideas?

Anyone done or heard of someone they know, doing this surgery?

and this is NOT an april fools joke.
S3nd K3ys
Quote:
Debarking surgery

Huh?

Why would you do that? How about we take out your vocal cords, and your keyboard, and we'll see how YOU like it. Evil or Very Mad

This is not a dog barking problem, this is a dog training problem. (Very similar to parenting problems, only with dogs).

Don't blame the dog for being a dog. Get him/her a companion dog, use a shock collar, or even a citrinella collar, (or better yet, better training).

As a last result, give the dog away.

Debarking surgery, yikes.

:edit:

The title for this thread is appropriate, I know how I feel about the rudelings down the road from me with a dog barking all ****ing night. Rolling Eyes
schudder
Debarking surgery, shock collars,... Those are all just last-option tools by people who prefer their own happy lives over the welfare of their dogs.

Shockcollars are cruel (how would you like to be shocked every time you raised your voice?) and surgery is over the top.

It's like I always say, it's not the dog that's the problem, it's the (original) owner. Dogs learn this behaviour when they're puppies (or occasionally through a stressful & traumatising experience) and they say it's hard to learn an old dog new tricks (and I can assure that's true through my own experience).

Still, you should try to teach him/her to not bark. Training, training, training, with dogs, that's often the only solution. It doesn't necessarily have to take many months to get them to learn, you know... It only depends on how you do it. But shock collars and surgery should be the absolute last thing to consider.
cocobirdi
the dog sounds like he barks excessively. a barking collar would teach him to behave correctly. the same way you'd pop a kid for screaming too much. Smile the older (and bigger) dogs get, especially the more excitable ones, the less easy it is to teach them to quit doing things like barking. the older dogs i know with behavioral problems all take a raised voice or a pop as an invitation to play and get worse.

but it all depends on the situation and the individuals involved.
girlcalledjay
A border collie is an EXTREMELY active dog and yours sounds like an extremely bore one. You mentioned that you live in a complex. To me this sounds like an apartment building? I am assuming that you don't have a lot of space for your baby to run around in, so that means a nice long walk AT LEAST once a day...preferably twice, morning and night.

De-barking your dog would just be too too cruel for words. It's bad enough that you have used a shock collar on him already. That is just an awful device that can cause real harm to your pet.

Be sensible. If you can't care for your dog properly, you must re-home him.
HoboPelican
girlcalledjay wrote:
A border collie is an EXTREMELY active dog and yours sounds like an extremely bore one. You mentioned that you live in a complex. To me this sounds like an apartment building?

That was my first thought. A border collie needs to work or play a lot to stay sane. I understand that time is critical, but I agree that surgery is NOT an option. I'm not sure about the bark collars, so I won't address those. The way I see it, you have 2 options that are fair to the dog. Get to a trainer NOW. Some can show you how to make very quick changes in their behavior. Lacking that, you really should find a better home for the guy. It could be temp while you guys go through training, but either training or a new home seem the only good options.
yy1124
Totally against it...

You should have consider all these circumstances before getting a pet dog, now the dog will suffers?

For my case, whenever my dog barks, someone from my family members will go out and confort her, try anything to stop her barking...

that is...I don't have neighbours like yours. Try training it, if possible try communicate with the trainer so that he will keep the dog until the dog is well trained?
johnflores
my neighborhood is so bad! he used to shout evey night during the time when my sleep was verygood! pls help me
ThornsOfSorrow
I would just put a muzzle on your dog whenever he starts barking a lot. It's not needlessly cruel, yet your dog will probably be annoyed enough by it to eventually learn not to bark so much. That's how a professional trainer told my family how to get my dog not to constantly bark. I can't tell you whether or not it worked though since we only tried it for a short period of time. Also, as others already mentioned, don't let him get bored; take him for walks as much as possible.
Drawingguy
Border collies are meant to run for miles on a ranch, so maybe being pent up in an apartment is making him bark. If all else fails, and you live by yourself, you could try to get a different apartment (assuming you rent).
arkebuzer
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Quote:
Debarking surgery

Huh?

Why would you do that? How about we take out your vocal cords, and your keyboard, and we'll see how YOU like it. Evil or Very Mad

This is not a dog barking problem, this is a dog training problem. (Very similar to parenting problems, only with dogs).

Don't blame the dog for being a dog. Get him/her a companion dog, use a shock collar, or even a citrinella collar, (or better yet, better training).

As a last result, give the dog away.

Debarking surgery, yikes.

:edit:

The title for this thread is appropriate, I know how I feel about the rudelings down the road from me with a dog barking all ****ing night. Rolling Eyes

That goes for most pet problems... if the pet does not behave as it should it´s most likely because the one owning it does not have the skills required to train it.
Surgery... that´s just sick in my oppinion!
Anticollie
Well, I have a collie. y name is the Anticollie, so... clearly... I know how fun and exciting these dogs are. Unforetuneatly, this also means that they want to get up and run around.

With a collie, you should take her/him for 2 runs around the area a day, if they don't get out they go nuts... and barking is definatly a nice little side of that. So, be more active with your dog, and she'll probably bark less. Plus, you'll likly see an increase on devotion, as she'll see you less as a "sheep" and more as a "farmer" if you spend a lot of time with her.

Essentially, I just have to say, that I don't think you should be able to do something to yuor dog like that, and it's because of your lack of devotion. I suppose, if you try these things, and it's simply not enough, you'd have to find a nice home for her. Collies are, essentially, farm dogs. So, it's no surprise that they kind of dislike the whole "living inside" thing.

Good luck,
Anticollie.
Captain Fertile
I don’t think this has been mentioned but I used to have two Springer Spaniels, a dog and a bitch. Anyway, they were both barkers but the bitch used to bark and squeal really loudly whenever she was let out, got excited or the doorbell rang.

We ended up getting into trouble with our neighbours.

I looked at all the options available:

Surgery – Not an option, I couldn’t do that to a friend.
Electric or alarm collars – Two dogs so it wasn’t feasible, when one dog barked the other would get a shock or hear the sound too so they wouldn’t learn why they were getting the buzz or the alarm. Plus I didn’t like the thought of electrifying my poor dogs.

Eventually we found a great trick that cured our dogs within a week.

Mix up a mild solution of vinegar and water in a squirt bottle (you know the ones with a trigger that squirt a fine spray over plants – set the nozzle to fine spray for this also – you don’t want a jet of water). Then whenever the dog barks squirt them with the solution. They soon learn that barking is not the done thing.

One point here, make the solution mild (plenty of water to a little vinegar) because a dogs sense of smell is a lot keener than our own - we are just trying to put them off a little not choke the poor creatures.

As I say, after a few days the dogs learnt what was expected of them. Just as long as you have the bottle ready so you catch them every time, especially in the early days.

Also, get a spray bottle that makes a loud hiss, they don’t like that and after a while just making a similar hissing sound yourself keeps the dogs in check should they forget their manners and you don’t have the bottle.

Obviously your dogs are just doing what comes naturally to them but when it comes down to doing this in the short term or losing your dogs forever I know which option I went for.
paulbarter
I agree with the people who say that surgery and shock collars are not the way to go. Dogs bark, thats what they do. Before buying the dog you need to know whether the complex is dog friendly or not, if not then give him away. Its the sad truth. Maybe there are things you can do, but at the end of the day a dog will bark. The humane thing would be to give him away if none of the tricks work! Sorry!
woundedhealer
Border collies - more correctly called English working dogs - are working dogs, not house pets. It sounds like you cannot meet your dogs needs. Sorry to be blunt, but this is the truth of it. Your dog is bored. A bored dog is noisy and/or distructive.

I have a mission in life to stop people getting BC's purely as a pet. These dogs are highly inteligent and mental stimulation is as important as physical stimulation. Flyball and agility are great ways to work collies.

I can't believe you would contemplate mutilating your dog for your shortcomings. I would say that you reward your dog by giving it attention. this is a classic mistake for dog owners to make. You will never train your dog to stop barking by shouting at it.

I used a rattle bottle to teach my Pommeranian to stop barking while I was getting her food. This would not be a suitable method for you, unless you were willing and able to give your dog three long walks a day, give it mental stimulation and became a suitable leader for your dog. If you cannot meet your dogs needs, rehome it, give it a chance of a fullfilling life, and get yourself a pet rat. they really are the perfect pet.

My next dog is most likely to be a BC. My husband and myself have thouroughly discussed this. We have decided that he is able to give it enough physical exercise, and it's mental stimulation will be met by me training it to be my disability assistance dog.
Captain Fertile
woundedhealer wrote:
Border collies - more correctly called English working dogs - are working dogs, not house pets. It sounds like you cannot meet your dogs needs. Sorry to be blunt, but this is the truth of it. Your dog is bored. A bored dog is noisy and/or distructive.

This may well be the case. Border Collies are a breed-apart when it comes to requiring stimulation and exercise.

I also agree if a Border Collie is not being worked then agility classes and training at home may be what they need.

One point though, our Springers had plenty of exercise and stimulation (we lived in the Countryside miles from anywhere when we had them) but the bitch could still be a terror for noise when she was excited.
woundedhealer
Quote:
One point though, our Springers had plenty of exercise and stimulation (we lived in the Countryside miles from anywhere when we had them) but the bitch could still be a terror for noise when she was excited

Barkig can still be dealt with through training. Pommeranians are renound for their barking, but mine barks a maximum of three times a day and an easily be stopped on command.

I know Springers are another energenic working breed, but they aren't in the same league as BCs. BCs are arguably the most inteligent of breeds. I speak from experience as I grew up with BCs and my first dog was one. The only reason I didn't have any more was because I was unable to provide for there needs. Now I am and would consider having one again.

Please people, if you are thinking about getting a dog, make sure you get a suitable breed for your lifestyle.
Captain Fertile
woundedhealer wrote:

Please people, if you are thinking about getting a dog, make sure you get a suitable breed for your lifestyle.

I agree with this very strongly and I bow to your experience of Border Collies which I don't have.

I have, however heard experts say what wonderful dogs BCs are but they also seem to end this statement with words like say, "...but I wouldn't have one."

If an expert says this then there must be good reason.
Tumbleweed
[quote="HoboPelican"]
girlcalledjay wrote:
A border collie is an EXTREMELY active dog and yours sounds like an extremely bored one. You mentioned that you live in a complex. To me this sounds like an apartment building?

I could'nt agree more....he probably just wants to be out with you....I have a gsp, hes ok left in the house but left anywhere else he barks his **** off, even if he can see me Confused ....some dogs just dont like being left alone
woundedhealer
Quote:
....some dogs just dont like being left alone

Dogs can have separation anxiety. This can cause them to do things like bark, howl, be destructive or sit shivering in a corner. It's made even worse if a big fuss has been made of the dog just before leaving it. It makes them aware of being left alone and they're left wondering when you're coming back. My dog comes just about everywhere with me, but on the rare occasion she has to be left I'm very careful not to talk to her or touch her for the last 10-15 mins, and she's given her treat ball just as we leave. When she's finished with it and realised she's alone, she goes upstairs to her bed and stays there until we get back. The reason why I know she stays there is because she's nervous of going downstairs by herself.

I think one problem people have is putting human feelings onto a dog, instead of learning about dog psychology.