FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Canoeing

honestman
Hey folks I tried canoeing for the first time in my life yesterday, Superb. I was in the Island of Skye in Scotland doing it and it was slightly cold when I upturned the boat and fell into the water.

Got back in tho. Im off to try it again today.

Any tips from anyone?

Jim
kyeniz
I went canoeing a few years back and had experience...

I was on this canoe for 2 people and a heavy-set girl was sitting in front of me...

We paddled hard but always get left behind with the group... then after the rest stop we switched places and then paddling became easier and we went faster... hahaha

Moral of the story, always have the heavier one behind Laughing
HoboPelican
kyeniz wrote:

Moral of the story, always have the heavier one behind Laughing

lol...whatever works!

My wife and I canoed a lot before we got kayaks and we found that my strength and reach made the back position better for me. Easy to control and do most of the propelling. Turns out she is very good at reading the river, so having her in front is helpful.

Give a quick look at some of the paddling sites on the net and study a few of the different strokes. They will make controlling the canoe a lot easier.

Main thing is to have fun and be safe.

Laughing
Petee
I think canoeing is a very fun and relaxing thing to do (that is of course, if you are not in rough water Wink ) Anyway, I'm 15 and I've been canoeing for a few years now. It's just a great feeling when you go out on a quiet, calm lake, paddle to the middle and just sit there. Especially in the early morning. I like to canoe by myself and sit in the back, but I occasionally go with someone else, and I usually still sit in the back. I actually use a Kayak paddle when I canoe because it is easier than flipping the single paddle around constantly. Why I don't just kayak instead, I don't know Very Happy