FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best AGP Video Card?

Da Rossa
That's it people... whats the best AGP graphics card available in the market, as of november 1st? I need a new GPU but my mobo does not not contain PCI-E slots... What would you recomend?
Thanks!
TheGeek
look at the 6 series by Nvidia, They still have some of their cards in AGP.
psycosquirrel
7600GT for the win.
Da Rossa
psycosquirrel wrote:
7600GT for the win.

7600GT is PCI-E.

After all, is it really a good thing to pruchase a AGP video card in nowadays, or should I save some money to a new MOBO and graphic card?
Thanks.
gh0stface
Eventually the AGP standard is going to be phased out and quickly replaced with PCI-Express. However, it's still going to take a while before the AGP is going to be completely phased out. As the more day-to-day computer users don't really see why they would need to upgrade as current hardware is plenty fast for what they need to accomplish. Such as browsing the internet, using Microsoft Office, checking e-mails and so forth.

However, for the more hardcore computer geeks, you're essentially future proofing yourself if you purchase an PCI-Express motherboard. In my opinion, I would also wait a little longer. Vista is coming out, so newer video cards that utilizes DirectX 10 are going to follow soon too.
Da Rossa
I'll take this in consideration, Ghost, much appreciated! I'm not gonna purchase a PCI-E MOBO in a near future anyway.

Anyone else has a opinion on a new AGP video card 4me? Smile
dz9c
i was lookin at some 7800 gs's and dont tel me their not agp bcuz i just seen em on newegg and their both agp and pcie. around $200-300 tho...
gh0stface
Da Rossa wrote:
I'll take this in consideration, Ghost, much appreciated! I'm not gonna purchase a PCI-E MOBO in a near future anyway.

Anyone else has a opinion on a new AGP video card 4me? Smile

No problem. But one thing I forgot to mention is that the computer industry is trying to phase out the AGP as quickly as they can. That is the good AGP video card prices are more expensive then the PCI-Express counterparts.

Such an example would be like how an eVGA 7800GS AGP card costs around 300 dollars while the PCI-Express is only around say 200 dollars.
diduknowthat
albatron version of the 7800GS would be the best AGP card on the market, however its pretty expensive.

For a cheap alternative, the x850xt pe is pretty nice.
william
Well, it really depends on your price range. One AGP card that's really nice would be the nVidia GeForce 7800 GS. It uses an APG 8x slot.
mawfia
What are you gonna do on your computer? Play games, video editing, rendering, programming, simulations, or office stuff. What's the max you will pay for a graphics card?

If I were you I would get a 7800 or x850xt, which ever you can get the cheapest. If I wanted to spend less than 150, than I would get a 6800 or x800.
dachabre
What can I say.... I have Radeon 9550 and in combination with Sempron64 3000+ I play ALL new games. This card cost about 50 EUR and it is best buy. If you want better (expensive - overprised Very Happy ) cards it is better to upgrade your motherboard & CPU. AGP standard is dead and you don't want to give more than 50-100 EUR for dead standard.... Very Happy
springbok
dachabre wrote:
What can I say.... I have Radeon 9550 and in combination with Sempron64 3000+ I play ALL new games. This card cost about 50 EUR and it is best buy. If you want better (expensive - overprised Very Happy ) cards it is better to upgrade your motherboard & CPU. AGP standard is dead and you don't want to give more than 50-100 EUR for dead standard.... Very Happy

I agree, I have a Radeon 9600 and play most new games, not with the graphics at the max though. I choose games for playability not hardware reliant good graphics. The cards handles anything else I need to use it for. Not bad for 35, 6 months ago.
psycosquirrel
Da Rossa wrote:
psycosquirrel wrote:
7600GT for the win.

7600GT is PCI-E.

After all, is it really a good thing to pruchase a AGP video card in nowadays, or should I save some money to a new MOBO and graphic card?
Thanks.

Sorry, meant 7600GS.

If you can afford to get a new system, a C2D system based around a E6300 and a 7900GS would perform great.
jackill
If U are looking for cheap and good card, I recommend 7600GS. I have one from Gigabyte with passive cooling and it rocks! With A64 3000+@2,4, 52MB ram I can play HL2 at 1024x768 with full detail, FSAAx2, Anizo x8, averange fps is abowe 60 oO Card isn't overclocked!
dachabre
That is bad thing on my 9500 - active cooler Sad Sad Sad
brycearonium
well i think you need to decide if you want ati or nvidia. Ati used to be an aweosme company and kill nvidia, but lately, it seems the tables have turned. It seems to me ati is heading downhill. Espically since amd took over.intell should buy nvidia and dominate amd again. I don't know, i own an ati card, but it's just not as coola s it used to be. nvidia may be the way to go. but as for performance, ati and nvidia are always going to be neck and neck, so picka company,a ny company.
diduknowthat
hmm, the 7800GS is one of the best, along with the x850xt pe. I'm also pretty sure that I've seen an agp version of the x1950pro on newegg, but it seems to be gone right now.
Guyon
I have been an ATI fan for as long as I can remember they seem more consistent. In my programming group there seems to be a lot of inconsistency with Nvidia though the years.

If you are getting a new video card remember to watch your power supply. The big unseen problem is not how many watts you have, but what are the volts on the V-Rail.

Missing that detail can cause many un-expected system boots.
Depredation
I was wondering the same thing. It's pretty hard to find a good AGP card nowadays, with PCI-E here.

Can anyone recommend any cheapish (>100) card with dual display? I'm in desperate need of a new one Very Happy.
jwellsy
http://www.amazon.com/ATI-All-Wonder-2006-100-714145/dp/B000A0I90S

I recently got one of those.
ATI AIW 256mb AGP.
Before Christmas there were all kind of rebate offers on them.
I think the total after all rebates was ~$80 at Newegg.
So far I have been very happy with this card.
This is about the best card I could find that is designed to not need a fan.
My last video card had a fan that quit and fried the card.
blk3
I'm using ATI Radeon 9600, bought it around $100 , its not the most powerful AGP but it gets the job done for me, although settigns are medium to low on most recent games. Ive heard the latest by ATI is the X18000 XT. But I think its really for hard core games with a lot of cash. Maybe you should wait a little while till the prices start to sttle down, that way consumers are the clear winners.
fadirocks
Don't waste too much money on AGP card it's better to spend little right now and wait later and get new mobo that supports PCI-E that's what i think
because you're not just missing on AGP but also missing on SATA if you have SATA i doubt you have SATA2
I totally recommend that you don't spend no more than $50 on your current AGP mobo
blk3
Yeah right great savings comes to those who wait. Just imagine the ratio of hardware capabilities to their prices around 5 yrs ago with todays hardware prices and capabilities. You get more if you wait. I also heard PCI-e is going to be ther next standard in Graphics Cards.
jay84h
ATI Radeon X1650 PRO 512MB DDR2 Very Happy, check out some reviews for it if you like
Helios
x1950PRO for AGP Smile

It is better, however, to spend the money on a full system upgrade (motherboard, processor etc).
Xeniczone
Except the X1950Pro is about 200 dollars AGP and 110 dollars PCI-E and the PCI-E one out preforms the AGP model.

What you need in a graphics card is:
Good Chipset for High quality gfx.
Fast Core and Memory Clocks for Speed (FPS in games).
The fastest DDR that you can find for more Speed (FPS in games).
and the more pipelines the better Very Happy

What you need is a:
4x/8x Graphics card
With a nVidia 78-- chipset or ATi X19-- Chipset.
A GPU clock of around 500+ maybe even 550+
Memory clock of around 1000+
DDR3 memory.
12+ pipelines

That would make you a good gfx card.

DON'T be fooled by a DDR2 card having more then 600mhz on the core clock and 800 mhz on the memory clock. DDR2 can't read more then these speeds and there are some cards that will say they have a higher memory clock.
marrs
Radeon 9800 pro 128mb

Its a steal!
fiendskull9
for the price

6800xt hands down