FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Splinter Cell Double Agent

clownFart
http://www.splintercell.com/

love Chaos Theory, and can wait for this one. The stories are always so cool I love this series it never gets old like ea games. Its coming out on Halloween!
DarkJad
The 360 version is crap compared to other Splinter Cells, IMO.

Rather than copy-paste my review, go to
http://boards.ign.com/splinter_cell/b6328/129757697/p1/
for my review (I'm Darkjad there too) and the following discussion.
PastBababooey
Dude Splinter Cell D.A. is the best!!! I don't know why he said the 360 version is crap though it's better than anything else it's perfect!!!!!!
DarkJad
Note: The 360 version is crap. Xbox/PS2/GC versions were developed by Ubisoft Montreal (who did Chaos Theory). No idea if they're good.
Ubisoft Shanghai did the 360 version (hence the Shanghai mission).

Anyways . . . care to defend your point that Double Agent is a good game?

I can discuss the terrible pacing and mission structure, the terrible missions, the lackluster sound (most guard noises were just ripped from Chaos Theory, for example), unimpressive graphics (don't give me the HDTV argument - it looks nice but not amazing; high def isn't the only factor), lack of characterization, plot, and ruined gameplay. Again, read my review, and I'll discuss any specific comments here or there.
PastBababooey
Ok first being made in shanghi makes no difference it's still Ubisoft. Second the missions are great there the same as the Xbox/PS2/GC just better looking.And if the sounds were ripped from it who cares that means they were ripped for the Xbox/PS2/GC too.UNIMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS!?!?!?!?!GA are you blind? the graphics are amazing no no PERFECT! I mean during the mission you can see the sweat on your guy and that's NOT I say again NOT High def. The lighting, pool reflections, faces, mouth movement, body movement, etc is all in the 360 version a hundred times better than the Xbox/PS2/GC version.My god the plot bad? dude it's the same as the regular consoles i played it for all consoles and the 360 is the one that is the best.Ruined gameplay what the heck are you talking about????If the gameplay was ruined it would be ruined in the regular consoles too. Everythings the same. I highly doubt you've played it on the 360 and if you did I bet your mad because the 360 makes the game tougher. Go headand try to teach me different, but I'm telling you..You're wrong!
DarkJad
Quote:
Ok first being made in shanghi makes no difference it's still Ubisoft.

Being made in Shanghai makes a massive difference - the people who develop (i.e. make) the game are completely different.
Example: The man who composed music for both games (DA360 and DA current gen) was given only scripts and some concept art from Shanghai; at the same time, Ubi Montreal (who did current gen) was able to let him play through parts in the game to get a feel for it.

Quote:
Second the missions are great there the same as the Xbox/PS2/GC just better looking.

No, they aren't. Go to your local GameStop and look at the guide, or go to GameFAQs.

Quote:
UNIMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS!?!?!?!?!GA are you blind? the graphics are amazing no no PERFECT! I mean during the mission you can see the sweat on your guy and that's NOT I say again NOT High def. The lighting, pool reflections, faces, mouth movement, body movement, etc is all in the 360 version a hundred times better than the Xbox/PS2/GC version.

I did say they were nice: but they still do not impress me. Lighting (especially at parts during the final mission, or in extreme darkness with one sole light) often does not reflect off of Fisher's body properly. His shadows are hyper-pixellated. Animations are identical to those in Chaos Theory, and many are slightly jerky. Character design is utterly a joke (every guard in the JBA HQ looks the same). I could go on, but like I said, the graphics are nice - just not impressive.

Quote:
My god the plot bad? dude it's the same as the regular consoles i played it for all consoles and the 360 is the one that is the best.

This PROVES that you have no idea what you're talking about. The missions are very different (being made by different teams, after all; for example, the current-gen prison level is significantly longer and includes missions in New York aside from HQ infiltration).
Oh, and mentioning that the plot is identical on all consoles is hilarious and irrelevant - the plot can suck no matter how many consoles it's on, and it's NOT IDENTICAL between the 360 version and the current-gen version. There's a major discontinuity, such as Fisher's daughter dying.
Oh, and the plot? Terrorists want to blow up NYC and other cities. Ooh, I'm excited already! Too bad the characters are completely formulaic (Cold & calculating boss, crude lieutenant, female love interest who isn't as evil as the others, unhealthy technician . . .), the moral decisions are rendered mathematical due to the trust decision and lack of consequences and caring . . . oh, and the big-end-of-game-plot-twist was spoiled in the cinematic that plays if you leave the game at the title screen!

Quote:
Ruined gameplay what the heck are you talking about????If the gameplay was ruined it would be ruined in the regular consoles too.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about; nor any idea what I'm talking about. I never said that the "regular" console Double Agent rocks - I haven't played it (but I HAVE researched it indepth). I just have higher hopes for it. I even said "No idea if they're good." That IS a quote.
Oh, and for ruined gameplay, let's talk about how they removed mission loadouts, CT's sound system (where loud environmental noise could obscure your footsteps), dynamic shadow-hiding (you're either hidden or you aren't; no halfway in DA!), non-linear mission design . . .

Quote:
I highly doubt you've played it on the 360 and if you did I bet your mad because the 360 makes the game tougher. Go headand try to teach me different, but I'm telling you..You're wrong!

http://live.xbox.com/member/DarkJad
You highly doubt I played it? Look at my Achievements for it, I beat it with the Hero (the best) ending, and I'm progressing through multiplayer ranks fairly well.

I'm mad because the game sucks compared to other Splinter Cells. It's not a BAD game, but considering it's the 4th in a series with an amazing pedigree, it's a major disappointment.

I've proven you wrong. I'd love to hear your response and discuss this, but time and time again you proved that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about or arguing about. So actually do your homework next time, and we'll see what happens.
clownFart
lol owned, so my xbox 360 died http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifvUBh2Pzpw I was wondering if the pc version is like 360 or ps2/xbox?
DarkJad
PC version is by Montreal (current-gen).
PastBababooey
You can check my achievements to i completed it on Hero the best ending as well. Ok let's do this. I admit my graphics are goin to look better because i'm playing on a plasma all the time. So i'll get a regular tv and see what I think. O ya haha. You got me on the shanghi thing i apologize for that and thanks for proving me wrong. The plot interested me because when I was young these spy things would interest me and it hasn't changed so the plot we shouldn't talk about because everyone will have their own opinions. The gameplay I love because I'm used to it for playing socom all the time. I apologize for tying to prove you wrong but that doesn't mean I'm wrong at everything either it just means everyone is goin to have different opinions on how a game is.
PastBababooey
You can check my achievements to i completed it on Hero the best ending as well. Ok let's do this. I admit my graphics are goin to look better because i'm playing on a plasma all the time. So i'll get a regular tv and see what I think. O ya haha. You got me on the shanghi thing i apologize for that and thanks for proving me wrong. The plot interested me because when I was young these spy things would interest me and it hasn't changed so the plot we shouldn't talk about because everyone will have their own opinions. The gameplay I love because I'm used to it for playing socom all the time. I apologize for tying to prove you wrong but that doesn't mean I'm wrong at everything either it just means everyone is goin to have different opinions on how a game is.
Doublexx
my fav. game. I waiting it
DarkJad
Well, opinions always differ; if they didn't, society would be pretty dull, eh?

I'm just an angry gamer. I'm tired of the way the industry cranks out terrible sequels, and each sequel like that I see angers me.
Zpanzer
i really liked pandora tomorrow and the first, i didnt buy chaos theory though, could be i should give D.A. a try and see if its something, the point i dont liked in theese games is that i could hide behind an tent and a npc walking right past me didnt see me :/ even though i had 3 glowing googles ontop of my head.
DarkJad
It's stated in an interview that the glowing goggles are solely for the player's sake (you). In online play, you can't see glowing goggles on the spies - but the spies can see their own lights. Just makes the player's life easy.

And play Chaos Theory. Trust me, it's significantly better than Pandora Tomorrow. It's also a Platinum/Greatest/Player's Choice title, so it's dirt cheap.
Eyre
i always noticed the light thingy too Razz. I liked Chaos Theory a little bit more than the other two, but i can't wait to play Double Agent. It looks pretty awesome.
DarkJad
It's not awesome.

No more light-meter, for example. And it's not just invisible (which would be nice; less HUD). It's gone. You're either fully-lit or fully-dark.
Cov3r70ps
Yes, I can't wait for this game either... But the 70$ starting price is killing me. I'll have to wait a little while to buy it. Sad
PastBababooey
Ya I know some games get on my nerves to..Sorry for starting the argument dude i'll think next time haha.