FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Share CPU resource over home network?

quartz
I was just bored one day.. and thought of this could be a great idea... did a 20 mins search online and don't think anyone have put this application in to home networks.
Many companies and universities set up computers to share CPU resouces.. now, more then ever... many homes have more then one computer switched on at any given time. Most likely... some of the computer at sitting on idle speed or just keyboard pushing application like what I'm doing now. LOL
is there a software/program allow that technology to use at home?
NuniPio
not really sure about this.. but if there wouldnt it take much longer for data to travel through the cables longer.. and i think large companies dont really share resources but they just share the load put on the network, not tooo sure about it tho
psycosquirrel
People do this sort of thing, I think it is called clustering. Look on Wikipedia for multiple-computer processing and I am sure they will have an article on it.
TheGeek
its called clustering and is not really practical for home use yet, which is why you wont really find anything on it as far as applications at home go. However, wikipedia has a great article that i have read that explains a lot about it.

The basic gist of it however is that you have multiple computers running linux that work over a network to complete tasks faster than they would by themselves. The only problems right now however are that:

A: It ONLY works with linux, windows currently can not do clustering.
B: Not many applications can use clustering as it is usually used in university and business settings where custom programs are very common, so they usually write a program based on the task at hand rather than using one that is already available.
ashok
TheGeek wrote:
its called clustering and is not really practical for home use yet, which is why you wont really find anything on it as far as applications at home go. However, wikipedia has a great article that i have read that explains a lot about it.

The basic gist of it however is that you have multiple computers running linux that work over a network to complete tasks faster than they would by themselves. The only problems right now however are that:

A: It ONLY works with linux, windows currently can not do clustering.
B: Not many applications can use clustering as it is usually used in university and business settings where custom programs are very common, so they usually write a program based on the task at hand rather than using one that is already available.

very informative.. thanks Razz