You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

i have a question: why in the united states they call football a sport that is mostly played with the hands, and instead of calling football a sport which is played with the feet they rather create a new term for it and call it soccer?
lol i seriously dont know. I am from the US and the only thing that makes sence to me for calling it "football" would be u kick the ball off on the kick off, u kick the ball for field goals, and u kick the ball to punt other than that i have no clue... I wonder also why they called it football and changed european football to soccer....
and what about fussbal ?? isnt that just tablesoccer or 'tablefootball' (translated from dutch to english=> tafelvoetbal)

It's the same with hockey btw... hockey in the USA is the NHL right ?
hockey in Europe is field hockey
in england we do have ice hockey and normal hockey played on artificial ground but we also have field hockey on a natural pitch
Since this post is rather long for some simple points to be made, I think I'll try my hand at some unsophisticated version of the rainbow-thingy to emphasize those points. They're important, since I'm getting annoyed with the self-righteousness of some soccer fans Wink (not so much here as in the Why don't the Americans like soccer thread). Oh, just to get it out of the way, yes, I'm European.

First, let's clear a common misunderstanding. The Americans did not coin the term "soccer". We'll get back to that.

Two probable reasons for calling American football "football"...

The first (long one), American football and "soccer" pretty much developed at the same time. In the 1800's, there were literally hundreds of different games known as "football" - some of them likely to already then be rather similar to American football (and rugby football). No standard set of rules existed, the teams just agreed on the rules before playing.

At some point, some teams decided to drop the "no hands" rule, which evolved the game into what we know as "rugby (football)" now. Or, alternatively, some teams decided to add it, eventually deciding on rules that became known as "association football" - because of The Football Association, which in the 1860's came up with these generally accepted rules. The FA is also the root of the "soccer" word (from "assoc."). This was university slang - in England - for the game we know now. It was used to avoid confusion between Football Association rules football and Rugby football - not American Football.

In short, we (Europeans) should stop feeling all offended by that name (well, I don't anyway, since I'm not a fan of soccer in the first place Wink). We made it up, and it's really the most appropriate term for the sport, since rugby is football too - and so is American football. Back to the evolution...

Rugby traveled to Northern America in the 1860's (same time as the rules we now know as "soccer" were born), looking more like American Football already in the 1870's. So it's not really like "European football was there first, we have patent on that name". Both games evolved individually - and pretty much at the same time (and both were pretty much finalized in the early 1900's) from the hundreds of British games known as "football" - which already back then were as different as American Football and soccer are today.

The other probable reason is, the origin of the "football" name isn't even certain to have anything to do with kicking the ball. As mentioned, hundreds of games were known as "football" only 150 years ago - many of them already not using the feet much. What did make them "football" may have been that you played them "on foot" as opposed to "on horse" (like polo) - which was more common among aristocrats back then than it is now.
Actually, the term was coined by Oxford students in the 1880s.

They had a habit of adding "er" after every word and football was legally called "ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL".

Now, they noticed this:

asSOCiation football.

They added an "er" to SOC making is SOCER.

Thus, the term SOCCER was coined...
yeah, inetresting question indeed Smile))
in spain we call "balonpie" literal translation of football
Valid points.

Rugby coaches both in Rugby League and Rugby Union also use the phrase "He's a good footballer" or "They're using the football well". Never makes sense to me.