FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is in the world free?

haak_heu
Do u find any thing in this world which is called free ...in real means

at the movement i think air is only one and God.

but air will cost money soon as it is getting polleted and so we will have to pay for it to get pure as japan has made some air container like room spray they cost you some dollars and will be used by people to breat in crowded areas ...
so what is your response.
S3nd K3ys
Speech, thought, and an attorney if you cannot afford one. Wink
Helios
Heh, even death might cost you nowadays Razz
ocalhoun
Hosting!

Also, (supposing you live in the USA,) checking out books in the library, fire-fighting service, police service, use of public roads, high-school education, and AOL CD's. (Some of these not available in some other countries) Yes, I realize that we pay taxes for these things, but you still get these even if you don't pay taxes, so I figure they qualify as free.
Kaisonic
Nothing is free. Absolutely nothing. We pay for EVERYTHING in this country. EVERYTHING. Go ahead and argue, but if you really think about it, we pay for everything. Maybe not directly, but by the transitive property, we certainly do. That's all I have to say.
ocalhoun
Even the AOL CD's?
Kaisonic
Yep. Even the AOL CDs. To make them, they probably use money from whatever products they have sold in the past, and it's quite possible that you bought one of those products in the past, and in essence, paid for the AOL CD.
ocalhoun
But what if you've never given a cent to AOL in your life?
mathiaus
If someone has paid for it then it shouldn't count, just because its free at one end, the whole thing isn't free. Things that count are things like services, some frihosters offer their time for free to install phpbb for example.
Some chairtable stuff pherhaps, if someone grew food then donated it, YES, if someone grew it, someone brought it and they gave it away, NO.
Silikoncho
Don't know Rolling Eyes
Free hugs? Smile
http://www.freehugs.org/
ocalhoun
Okay, how about this:
Firefox 2 is free.
bdoneck
nowadays free has a distorted meaning, this is true, you hear ads all the time that say "FREE" in big bold letters then "with this purchase" in the small--almost illegible script.

Free now means cheap and cheap means not overly expensive. Its screwed up but that's how the corperate world has changed meanings
mathiaus
Great example. A large number of developers creating a free poduct and other creating pugins/themes etc.

The only free thing I can think off not relating to people giving time on some way shape or form, is in claiming land for free. Like in America all those years ago when people claimed stake to a piece of land. Any other ideas Question
seanooi
to me nothing is free in this world. Everything has a cost you've got to pay. Like hosting. I totally agree that Frihost provides free hosting, but without an internet connection you wouldn't have this free hosting service. Wink
Davidgr1200
A lot depends on what you mean by free. Try flying over a military base and see how free the air is! Apparently The USA is intending to make space their own by not allowing (backed up by force) countries whom they do not like to send up rockets into space. That will mean that "Nothing" is free (space = nothing)!

David
a.Bird
I like to believe that nobody really owns anything and therefore everything is free of charge. I mean hell, when you have a decent rifle a heavy set of balls, just about anything in your sight can be free. I won't argue that I have to pay $1.50 to catch the bus, or almost $10 to watch a movie at the cinema, but do I really need these things to survive? Do I really need to spend a dollar for a processed cheeseburger? If you let these things own you, it's hard to find anything for free in this world.
Idoru
And the most obvious, I'm surprised noone mentioned it, love!

Well, some argue on that as well, so, in advance I guard myself with the defienition
that if it isn't free, well, then it's something else. Wink
zhnlove
I think that there are no free things really free Embarassed
No free lunch!
zjosie729
disease. You don't need to pay (in any way) to get diseased.
Daniel15
Any software listed on SourceForge is completely free (as in freedom) Smile

Quote:
Even the AOL CD's?

I love AOL CD's............... They make excellent frisbees Very Happy
Anyways, Internet access via the AOL CD's is free for a certain period, then they charge you some rediculously high amount for normal Internet access. They'd probably make enough money to pay for all the CD's produced Wink
soulman
many things are free.... but not absolutly free....
Aless
Free to me or free for all? Free samples are the greatest free-to-me example, but obviously they are not free to the people giving them out.

Emotions are free - happiness, love, anger, sadness. Anything generated totally by our own body or nature is going to be free.

Sunshine is free! Smile
a.Bird
Daniel15 wrote:
I love AOL CD's............... They make excellent frisbees Very Happy
Who would have known that if ejected with the correct movement of your wrist you can send those things clear across your backyard? I'm going to make a Compact Disc Gun that spins the discs to high RPMs and ejects them at a high velocity. Shhh

And masturbation is free.
nondormo
A lot of things are free

friends cannot be bought
the power to think and choose what you will, that too can't be bought
love is free, if it is truly love and not physical release
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Hosting!

Also, (supposing you live in the USA,) checking out books in the library, fire-fighting service, police service, use of public roads, high-school education, and AOL CD's. (Some of these not available in some other countries) Yes, I realize that we pay taxes for these things, but you still get these even if you don't pay taxes, so I figure they qualify as free.

AOL CD's deffenitly. My friend decorated his celling with them. Some pets can be free.

And yes there really isnt' a lot of stuff you can get for free. Even fire service it nows comes out of your insurence and all (they charged us for coming to my house and they really didn't do anything and this was back in 01.
Yazz
You have to remember that money isn't the only thing we have to pay for things. Sometimes we have to pay with a guilty conscience, sometimes we have to pay with our time, and sometimes we have to pay with our freedom. If you steal something, of course it's free, but you pay with a guilty conscience, and perhaps even get caught and sent to jail, where you pay with your time and freedom.

Wow, I really like how that one example covered my thesis. Was hoping for a longer post than this >.>

Oh well, you get what I'm saying, money isn't the only form of payment. Love costs us our life, time and some of our emotional security (love can hurt). Those AOL CD's cost money, and them giving it to you requires money. Where does that money come from? Thin air? No, it comes straight from everyone's pockets, from stock prices, from other companies who spend their money on other things, which eventually may end up on AOL's pocket. So how is it not free then? Because even if you don't directly pay the AOL company, you're still paying another company, who's money would eventually end up in AOL's pocket, as it would end up in virtually every single other place in the world. That's the thing about money, it goes Everywhere.

Yay, long post!
a.Bird
Yazz wrote:
You have to remember that money isn't the only thing we have to pay for things. Sometimes we have to pay with a guilty conscience, sometimes we have to pay with our time, and sometimes we have to pay with our freedom. If you steal something, of course it's free, but you pay with a guilty conscience, and perhaps even get caught and sent to jail, where you pay with your time and freedom.

Wow, I really like how that one example covered my thesis. Was hoping for a longer post than this >.>

Oh well, you get what I'm saying, money isn't the only form of payment. Love costs us our life, time and some of our emotional security (love can hurt). Those AOL CD's cost money, and them giving it to you requires money. Where does that money come from? Thin air? No, it comes straight from everyone's pockets, from stock prices, from other companies who spend their money on other things, which eventually may end up on AOL's pocket. So how is it not free then? Because even if you don't directly pay the AOL company, you're still paying another company, who's money would eventually end up in AOL's pocket, as it would end up in virtually every single other place in the world. That's the thing about money, it goes Everywhere.

Yay, long post!

So are you saying that where one thing in the world is received another thing is given, and therefor everything is in a constant cycle? And essentially, our universe ticks on this algorithm in every realm of transaction, right down to the atomic level in which electrons are constantly traded and transported? And so to say that you are able to receive anything for free is to say you are defying the laws of the universe? If so, very interesting perspective, grasshopper. I agree. The Yin and Yang are necessary to each other in order to exist in the first place.
Soulfire
Well, I'd say Frihost, but that's not entirely true - you are required to remain a participant in the forums.

But still...
Inferno619
Nothing, I think, is completely free. I'm sure that you would have to give the thing you wanted something back in return, either it be of the same value or of lesser value than the thing you got.
ashen
I think our soul is free. A free gift from God. The air and thing like love should be free too.
rhathar
Creativity. Speech. Love Smile
Yazz
ashen wrote:
I think our soul is free. A free gift from God. The air and thing like love should be free too.

If so, why can't we do with our soul as we please? Why does God get so wrathful over us doing what we want with what he GAVE us. Essentially, our souls aren't free either. As soon as we get our soul, we are bound to God as his underlings, and if we step out of line, we pay for it by going to hell.

a.Bird wrote:
So are you saying that where one thing in the world is received another thing is given, and therefor everything is in a constant cycle? And essentially, our universe ticks on this algorithm in every realm of transaction, right down to the atomic level in which electrons are constantly traded and transported? And so to say that you are able to receive anything for free is to say you are defying the laws of the universe? If so, very interesting perspective, grasshopper. I agree. The Yin and Yang are necessary to each other in order to exist in the first place.

Yayyy, someone got it!
dz9c
yo those car magazines at the corner stores are free. auto mart is one thats free lol. yea check it out, usually located near the door
biedr0na666
theory of economy says that goods are divided into two categories:
1)commonly available
2)rare

those commonly available, like air, water and soil, are said to not have price (note that those economy books were written in 50's or so)
everything else has price. not because someone has decided so, but by the very fact that those things are 'rare goods'.

the problem is, we have reached the moment when goods like good air and water are becoming more and more rare. so, if you are ever asked to pay for breathing, don't be surprised, as there is the same logic behind that.
jongoldsz
ocalhoun wrote:
Okay, how about this:
Firefox 2 is free.

I should update...

Open source things are free.
ocalhoun
^Exactly; Linux is free.

Developed by people working for free, and given away freely.

Also, I liked the earlier response:
Diseases are free.

Also, you don't have to pay for your thoughts. (good thing, I'd be broke)
Cal_123
People who say love is free, think harder.

Alot of times, love breaks people's friendships, you lose friends, and if your relationship doesn't work out, that also feels un-free. So yes, in an ideal world
love is free, but not in this world.

CaL
vahsi000
I think there are alot of free things in the world, it's just that you have to know how to get them. The best things in life are free, for me free is something i can get without having to pay money or be too troubled with. My job involves giving away free items, if there weren't such thing free items, i'm sure some businesses around the world would be out of business themselves.