FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My son's hamster broke her leg

Sadow
My son's hamster broke her leg, so it was necessary for him and me (my son is 8 years old) to go to the vet and they told us they had to amputate the leg. I want to know if this is normal? I mean isn't there a way to heal the leg, although it is very small?
When they amputated the leg a couple of days later, it turned out they had amputated the leg near the belly of the poor hamster. I thought they would have save the upper leg but they didn't. I wanted to ask if this is normal procedure? is it easier for the animal to move around his cage when it is not hindered by a half leg? These questions maybe a bit stupid but I feel sorry for the animal and my son was pretty upset about it. I wonder if there are people who have experienced the same thing with their animal. Let me know, thanks! Confused
Dougnut King
Im so sorry to hear that! Crying or Very sad I don't have a hamster (but I did) and I don't know about animal amputees, but just let it flow and see how it works out. Sometimes human amputees become the world's greatest atheletes!!!

Hope the wound heals Neutral
Sadow
Thanks King. Well the poor animal had it pretty bad for atleast 3 days, but now she's alright again. I nurtured her by giving her water with a syringe and all she ate was some vegetables. She is already pretty fast again although she has only 3 legs. Very Happy
freecitizen
Awww. That's terrible. I'm glad he's back to normal again. yay.
drdestiny
yeah that really is terrible, well whether or not it was possible to heal the leg without amputation depens on the type of fracture. did the hamster actually break her femur or did the broken bone actually protrude the skin?

if so, a amputation was neccessary
thealpha
I am sorry to hear that, hope he will get back very soon
pluppen_2
Augh.
That must have hurted.
I haved to 4 hampsters.
I liked them.
But noone of them brooked there legs or something of that Razz
Hampsters are fine animals.
I haved Dwarg hampster.
They was very buity Razz.