FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Amazing concept! Looking for guides!

MadeinIndia
Dear friends,

We are a group of online community involved in a site called www.cellyourcity.com

The site is for everyone who want to explore the world, see new places and travel virtually, all through a cell phone! yeah! All the pictures are taken through a cell phone, giving it that much needed personal touch. Each city listed in the site has a guide/guides who will help you in any travel related queries for their city.

Do you want to see your city in the list? Do you want to become a guide for your city? All you need is a cell phone which has a camera. Please do let me know and participate in a very amazing and unique project on the Internet.
a.Bird
As far as the website goes: The aesthetics are lacking. The intro movie is too quiet and cheesy with the flipping text and whatnot, not to mention a random play bar at the bottom left that doesn't move or do anything. I wasn't a fan of the general layout as the menu text was a little tough to read (any reason you used images instead of actual text?) and there is a ton of whitespace on the main page. The overall layout of the entire site lacks cohesiveness as you've used so many different styles for each page. It's sort of annoying having to adjust to a new layout style on every single page I visit.

As for writing a guide to my hometown, I would love to. I live in Ithaca, NY, south of Cayuga lake and home of two college universities that excel in many areas. Beautiful scenery and interesting people. Let me know what you need from me and I can get started on the pictures and locations.

Conceptually, I'm not sure if the website is going to be really banging. It's a neat idea to take pictures of your town with a cellphone, but the images I saw on the website didn't really make me feel like I was looking through a cell camera lens. They looked like pictures I could take with a decent cheap digital camera because of their size and clarity and it sort of defeated the purpose for me. I think they need to be smaller and more camera-phone-screen-like or else it won't be an immediate connection for people looking at the photos.

I like the idea of giving snippets about the photographers as it makes it a little more personal and brings back the aspect of camera phones.
MadeinIndia
Hi,

I guess you checked the site when we were changing servers so you must have missed some files. The empty white space you were mentioning has been rectified. Please check the site now.

The whole site has been designed and hosted by someone who has no clue of programming or designing. Not even Flash! I guess it's a great job considering this! Second, we did follow a uniform design in all the site pages except when you click on the cities as they are all riding on a blogger.

The real content of the site is the images posted by the guides and today we can proudly say that we have a considerable number of pictures taken by our guides! You won't find any other site (maybe duplicates will crop up) where images of various cities thru a cell phone are posted.

As far as the quality of the images go, we have not restricted our guides to use any particular format. Some use the latest Nokia phones, which have a higher megapixel than the cheap digital cameras you are talking about. So we don't really have to make them look like a cheap phone images just for the sake of it. As long as our guides are using cell phone cameras, anything goes as the main aim is to showcase each city through the eyes of the cell phone owner.

Each and every thing in the site is a community effort, none of them computer professionals and if you feel you can volunteer your design skills, we more than welcome it.

We look forward to your contribution, please do visit the site and fill the guide application!
Daniel15
Good work! It's a great idea... Keep up the good work Smile

You seem to have lots of nice pictures of Melbourne... The 'Northcote City Hall' is right near where my school is Very Happy And for your post on Northcote Plaza (or Northcote Mall as you called it), there's only two supermarkets (Coles and BI-LO), not three Wink
EDIT: Unless you count K-Mart as a supermarket, which it isn't Razz

Quote:
The whole site has been designed and hosted by someone who has no clue of programming or designing. Not even Flash! I guess it's a great job considering this!

Wow, considering that, it's a great job!
MadeinIndia
Hey thanks so much for your feedback! Your comments encourage us to do better! I will send your comments to the guide for Melbourne immediately! Keep Celling!
Daniel15
No problem... If I ever get a mobile phone with a camera (probably once I get enough money to upgrade from my current phone, a Sony Ericsson T105), I'll take some photos for you Very Happy
MadeinIndia
That would be awesome! And hey, I am in the process of redesigning the site, do keep checking!
MadeinIndia
First of all I would like to thank Frihost for being a great host! My site cellyourcity.com has been featured in Times of India's Mumbai Mirror newspaper and have been getting a great feedback on the site! Kindly visit http://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/mmpaper.aspx?page=section&sectid=7&sectname=TECH and read the article!
glabase
Wow, that's cool that you got a mention - you're site is really cool though. Cool

I think it's a great idea - needs more content though but I'm sure that will come with time! Very Happy Very Happy Cool
lukeropro
If you want to thank the frihost staff, go to the official thank the frihost staff thread in the general chat forum. Btw, your website looks really cool except that the header is too big and is taking up most of the screen, disallowing me to look at the images as a whole
MadeinIndia
Thank you guys for your great feedback! Really appreciate it. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum. Can any moderator move this to the right section?

Btw, I welcome more feedback from all of you. We will definitely incorporate all the suggestions.
shenyl
Why do you need to thanks Frihost? Is it that your site is hosted by Frihost? Or Frihost has help to promote your site?

Nice clean look, as you have indicated, and agreed that the top frame should be made with a smaller rows="80, *".

Very good and lots of effort put into your site.

My site is far from being recognised as yours, maybe you can share if anything you did to promote it to such a success.

Do comment on my personal site too, http://shenyl.frih.net.

With regards
XtRm
Nice idea. I really like it. But you have a lot of work to do. At the first time I sugges you making some major changes into the design. Make the header as a part of the whole layout ( include() or require() ). Also I suggest you puting some dynamic content Wink .
shenyl
Hello XtRm, care to elaborate on include() or require()?

Does it mean one can attach an header page to a HTML Web page?

I guess the use of frameset is to freeze her header from been scrolled off the page, and a consistent look for all web pages, also to provide navigation to all her main web sections.

Look forward to some elaboration.

XtRn thank you and with regards.
Insanity
Nice overall look; very professional. However, you might want to shorten the width of the top header, it kind of branches off and hangs over the rest of your content. Just my two cents.
XtRm
shenyl wrote:
Hello XtRm, care to elaborate on include() or require()?

Does it mean one can attach an header page to a HTML Web page?

I guess the use of frameset is to freeze her header from been scrolled off the page, and a consistent look for all web pages, also to provide navigation to all her main web sections.

Look forward to some elaboration.

XtRn thank you and with regards.

Greetings! niclude() and require() are php functions. It is only usable in php but it won't be hard to convert your .html files into .php files. Than you can still use html in the file but also you will be able to use php functions (just put them inside <? php function ?>). The usage of include() and require() is to insert a page (no matter html or php) into your body. Also it can be used for dynamic php linking (fo example this which you see on the url box when you are viewing this topic Wink ).

Using frameset has some dissadvantages like you can't send an url of only a part from the web page to someone. I just don't like it. Of course the alst one is only a personal opinion Wink .

If you are interested just PM me. I can explain you something more Wink .

Good luck and have a nice day Wink .
MadeinIndia
Thanks so much everyone. I have reduced the size of the header on your advice and now it looks much better.

Shenyl, your site is awesome. Why don't you become a guide for Japan in CellYourCity.com?

xTrm, thanks for your feedback. I do want dynamic content but this site was designed and developed by people who don't have ANY knowledge of programming! If you can help us, that would be very kind!

P.S. If anyone is interested in becoming guides for their cities, do let me know. CellYourCity gives you a platform to use your creativity, generate revenue and become part of one of the fastest growing sites on the net!
MadeinIndia
We also have a section where you can post your travel pictures! Pictures from your normal camera's also allowed here! Do get in and start Celling immediately!
MadeinIndia
Hi all! I wish to share my happiness with you all and particularly Frihost! My site cellyourcity.com has again been featured in another top national newspaper in India. I am attaching the link below!

We started small but are growing day by day! Thanks everybody for your support!

Animal
Please read the stickies in this forum - this thread states that you are only allowed one topic per website - please update your existing topics and not start new threads about your site. I've merged all three of your topics into one.

Oh, and PS: Congratulations on your site's success Very Happy
{name here}
Your site doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to be simple and not eye bending. Ditch the background and avoid the frames. Make your links at the top integrate into your design by extending their background to span almost the entire width of the screen or change it to integrate into the background.
Vimor
You definately need to make everything blend together better so that it will look more professional looking.

At the moment if I was interested in looking for cities that I would like to visit your site would be one of the last ones I'd look at.

People usually go to a site that looks more professional. Most people don't know anything about the quality of any sites so they just go with what looks best.

I will say this is a great idea just you need to put quite a bit of work into it and make the site a little bit more "attractive".

Pretty much think about it as the opposite sex.... Would you want someone that looks like a mess or someone that has good features and everything is..... lets go with "well blended" features.
shenyl
Your site has features, I guess it is the Top frame that you need someone to help out with. It should not appeared as cutoff from the scrolling lower frame in your frameset.

Consider using an entire bottom patterned strip to create a clear cut between the top frame and the content frame. Currently the top frame seem to be cut-off due to the white incomplete line and the blue background.

Hope it made sense.

With regards.
MadeinIndia
Okay guys! Keeping in mind all the suggestions you guys made, we are now LIVE with a new design at www.cellyourcity.com!

I also take the opportunity to tell you all that my website has been featured in BBC World and the video clip is on the site! Do check it out and give me your valuable feedback!!
shenyl
Wow, it seem your site have gone from beginner's level to business class!

You must have some great help to boost this overall site design.

Very impressive.

With best regards.
Daniel15
MadeinIndia wrote:
Okay guys! Keeping in mind all the suggestions you guys made, we are now LIVE with a new design at www.cellyourcity.com!

I also take the opportunity to tell you all that my website has been featured in BBC World and the video clip is on the site! Do check it out and give me your valuable feedback!!

Awesome Very Happy
Keep up the magnificent work Smile