FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


NOt only the USA people are Americans... that is a mistake.





jdaniel0903
Hi.
With so much respect, I would ask you something: isn't a mistake the fact that all around the world the word "American" is used to describe the people originary form USA?
I'm Colombian, and I'm american too... Colombia is located in America (the continent).
Tell me please if you think other thing about this.

<sorry for my not perfect english>

Chao pa to'el mundo
truespeed
Yes that is technically correct,but when ppl refer to ppl from the united states they say americans and everyone knows they are refering to ppl from the united states,if someone was describing someone from columbia they would say columbian,i dont think theres any confusion.
Dragonfly
Geographically speaking Mexico, Colombia, etc are in the America continent. And it looks like people would have called them Americans. But as an outsider, specially from Asia continent when I say Americans, I refer to people from the United States. Others are known or addressed by me as Canadians, Colombians, Mexicans, etc.

So, other than the US, they are merely part of the continent America but not referred as Americans when it comes to people.

That's my understanding.....


This is quite different when it comes to Europeans. Germans, French, Britons, Swiss, Spanish, etc however make up Europeans unlike American which is mostly understood by a single country - the US.

Even in Asia, when we say Asians, we refer more to East Asians - Mongoloid stocks. Others are known as Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc... though they too are Asians in geographical point of view.
S3nd K3ys
I'm an American. Wink
a.Bird
I'm a U.S. citizen. Razz
hlavco
Well, see, 'Columbian' sounds good. 'Mexican' sounds good. 'United Stater', or 'US of Aer' or anything like that doesn't sound good. Besides, the A does stand for 'America', so it's kind of an abbreviation anyway.
AG007
jdaniel0903 wrote:
Hi.
With so much respect, I would ask you something: isn't a mistake the fact that all around the world the word "American" is used to describe the people originary form USA?
I'm Colombian, and I'm american too... Colombia is located in America (the continent).
Tell me please if you think other thing about this.

<sorry for my not perfect english>

Chao pa to'el mundo


Yeah, I know, I did get this when I came to USA.
But then I realize their name does not mean that much, United States of America.
How can you call the people of United States of America? Hmm...
well, we cannot use united, unitans, and state would not sound good, statan. So, America was the only one left, the only thing they could use. So, thats why they are called Americans, although I am American too.
Blaster
haha i was talking about this today with my english teacher. He said no but i disagree with him for that reason. I told him that someone from Canada is an American and he said no it isn't. But really what is the real name of an american? I don't really know an answer too this but i will say i agree with you.
S3nd K3ys
Blaster wrote:
haha i was talking about this today with my english teacher. He said no but i disagree with him for that reason. I told him that someone from Canada is an American and he said no it isn't. But really what is the real name of an american? I don't really know an answer too this but i will say i agree with you.


When's the last time you heard a canuk say he/she was American? Wink
SunburnedCactus
The Americas refers to the whole landmass (i.e. North and South America) but really America only refers to the USA, particularly these days.
ocalhoun
Well, Columbus thought it was India, so I suppose you could call us Indians, but that's already taken; twice over.


*** I'm a United States of American! ***
S3nd K3ys
ocalhoun wrote:


*** I'm a United States of American! ***


:clapping: Laughing
Blaster
Yea i agree its not so much that they are called it but really it still means there americans. I think that people from the united states should be called Americans because we are the United States of America. So I think that people from the United states should be called Americans. Lets face it, United statseizn just don't sound too goo.. Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
Are you claissified by country or by continent? In asia, for example, you may be called asian or japanese. In Germany you may be called German or European. In the US, you are called an American. Very Happy
Blaster
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Are you claissified by country or by continent? In asia, for example, you may be called asian or japanese. In Germany you may be called German or European. In the US, you are called an American. Very Happy

Yea you got a good example there. So i guess you can be called either or... I dont' know if there is really a specific way to call us anything.
S3nd K3ys
Blaster wrote:
I dont' know if there is really a specific way to call us anything.


There sure is...

"**** You, you ****ing Americans!!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kaisonic
Technically speaking, not anyone from North America or South America is an "American". We classify ourselves based on the country we live in, and since we can't really say "U.S.-ian" and we generally call the United States just plain America, we can call ourselves Americans, just like Canada Canadians, etc. When we say American, we don't refer to North America and South America, we refer to the socially-accepted America of United States, hence, Americans.
geyikkutuphanesi
I know that there is no nation which can call american. But everybody calls as american if they r frm america Smile
and I am a Turk. Laughing
a.Bird
geyikkutuphanesi wrote:
I know that there is no nation which can call american. But everybody calls as american if they r frm america Smile
and I am a Turk. Laughing


I'm sure that's because the term generally connotes more so to cultural aspects of the nation than the physical location of the citizens who reside in it.
zhnlove
I think people who have american passport can call americans
Blaster
Kaisonic wrote:
Technically speaking, not anyone from North America or South America is an "American". We classify ourselves based on the country we live in, and since we can't really say "U.S.-ian" and we generally call the United States just plain America, we can call ourselves Americans, just like Canada Canadians, etc. When we say American, we don't refer to North America and South America, we refer to the socially-accepted America of United States, hence, Americans.

But you have asians, Europeans, Africans... so why not americans.

Quote:
I think people who have american passport can call americans

I don't have a passport... so does that mean i'm not american. I was still born and raised right here in america. So really you can't base it on that. You can't base it on anything really.
napowan
I have learned about this in detail in my World History class and spanish class. It is purely incorrect, and is this way due to the sound of the nationality. Lets say that someone is from Canada; saying Canadian sound just find, but if you are from the United States of America; you wouldn't say you are unitedien, or united statesandian, you would be limit to saying American. So the only true Americans were those of the Aztec or "indian"(again an incorrect phrase thanks to Columbus) are truely American.
lanhu
if you want to be called American, i think it's ok in principle
DecayClan
Well, it doesn't have to go that way...
I am both Greek(which fits) and a Citizent of the European Union.
SO, they could be called something like citizents of the United States of America.
But its easier to be called Americans, as it is easier to be called a European.
Thats why the rest of the world prefers to call them Just Americans. Its easier, and they are the dominant ones...

P.S. Don't be mistaken, when i say "dominants" i mean, that all wee hear about in the rest of the world.And at the movies, and at the songs, at the ews, everywhere!When they talk about an American, they mean, a citizent from the usa...Thats why for use Americans=USA
riv_
funny, that's one of my husbands pet peeves too. We're in Canada (also in North America, folks) so he figures that makes us Americans.
Don't get me wrong here, but I don't see what's so desirable about being known as an American int he first place.
I'm perfectly happy to be excluded from that moniker.
jongoldsz
AG007 wrote:

Yeah, I know, I did get this when I came to USA.
But then I realize their name does not mean that much, United States of America.
How can you call the people of United States of America? Hmm...
well, we cannot use united, unitans, and state would not sound good, statan. So, America was the only one left, the only thing they could use. So, thats why they are called Americans, although I am American too.

That makes sense. I wouldn't want to be called a unitian or a statan.
nilsmo
My dad is Colombian, and he complains about this all the time, too.

Wikipedia wrote:
American may refer to:

* A person or attribute of the Americas, the lands and regions of the Western Hemisphere
* A person or attribute of the United States of America


So American can mean both. However, in common parlance the second apparently is used most.
ocalhoun
I would say that American means someone from the USA, while North American would include Canadians, while South American would include Colombians.
This seems to follow the way of naming people after their continents, while being compatible to the name of the USA.
Marston
Technically, America isn't a continent.
monzoncf
As far as i know, "American" are refering to the people who live in US specially when you're on the other continent. So, if you are in Mexico, you're Mexican, etc. I don't know actually why is it like that. I'm not american, I'm Asian. Maybe you'll take some deep research for that... Hmmm...... Question [/i]
SmartIcon
What I understand by the word American is the people of USA. This is what I consider by default. As a person can be identified as Columbian, why I call him/her as an American?
ocalhoun
Marston wrote:
Technically, America isn't a continent.

That was my point.
We could use:
American: Citizen of USA.
South American: Resident of South America
Central American: Resident of Central America
North American: Resident of North America

I don't know about ya'll, but I think that would be a good way to settle this.
riv_
I'm all for inclusiveness, but this might be a bit much.
I mean, colombia is not on the same continent as Canada, for example. Should we really use the same term to describe our continentality (new word? is there a better one?)
In your Colombian national parks, you're likely to see monkeys and flamingos, from what I'm told. In my neighbourhood, the national parks protect caribou.
We're not even in the same hemisphere!
Perhaps we need an entirely new term.
Calling the Colombian and Canadian both "Americans" just doesn't seem adequate.
So whaddya say, how bout we coin new terms for North Americans and South Americans?
ocalhoun
riv_ wrote:

So whaddya say, how bout we coin new terms for North Americans and South Americans?

You don't even have to; those terms already exist!
riv_
Confused But wouldn't it be more fun to make up catchy new ones?
Shocked
a.Bird
ocalhoun wrote:
riv_ wrote:

So whaddya say, how bout we coin new terms for North Americans and South Americans?

You don't even have to; those terms already exist!

What terms would those be? I don't think I've ever heard anything else used as predominantly.
ocalhoun
Samerican and Namerican!
napowan
Well to complicate this issue...there may be two Canada's coming soon...due to the french thinking they are to good for the normal Canadians.

Also...the reason there is a "central america" is becuase of the cultural differences. Canada and America are pretty close in culture..of course there are differences, but Mexico and America are nearly contrasts.

The englishmen that started the USA, named the Native Americans "Indians, by a mistake...and the same for American.
bigdan
That's what my year 11-12 teacher said to our class one day.
jt32470
truespeed wrote:
Yes that is technically correct,but when ppl refer to ppl from the united states they say americans and everyone knows they are refering to ppl from the united states,if someone was describing someone from columbia they would say columbian,i dont think theres any confusion.


no, people from colombia are south american like people from costa rica are central american canadians and people from the usa are north american
riv_
napowan wrote:
Well to complicate this issue...there may be two Canada's coming soon...due to the french thinking they are to good for the normal Canadians.

Just wondering where you find these normal Canadians? I'm not French, but normal - that's a stretch.
I'd say most Canadians I know are even less normal than we are American Confused
Montressor
I suppose you'd call me "citizen of the United States of America or Caucasian not of Hispanic descent", but those are a bit of a mouthful. When we refer to European we don't necessarily mean a citizen of a country in Europe, but refer to a people group with commonalities. Which may be why "American" commonly refers to a citizen of the United States of America, since the Americas (and the immigrants to the Americas) are a diverse people group. Since you rarely can refer to a common aspect that most people in the U.S. let alone most people in the Americas share (other than location in the Americas), you usually aren't talking about all of the Americas when you talk about an American. Your forced to speak about political boundaries because there are too many cultural boundaries and mixtures, partially because we've imported European, Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic (mainly in South and Central America), Frankish (for those nuts in Canada, and yes I speak a little French even though I live in Ca) and many other cultures.

On a side note, I have a neighbor from South Africa that fills in that little bubble for African American on all surveys and government stuff even though she is even whiter than me because she was born in South Africa...
Related topics
Guantanamo Bay
the 9/11 truth
How many people did usa kill in iraq?
Troops charged with murdering Iraqi civilian
USA and Israel
The Middle East Conflict
Bruce Arena Out as USA Head Coach
Trend of School Shootings in USA
White Supremacist gang getting stronger in USA
Is it time the USA gave up its right to bear arms.
Are Americans stupid?
How Many Americans Know Leona Lewis ?
[Opinion] Iraq War
USA and the PAK an unrealistic relationship
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.