FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

making the last 5 active topics appear on my homepage?

ncwdavid
Hey,
I want to be able to show the last 5 active topics of my sites forum at my homepage of my site and not the index page of the forum. I download some mod but its only made for making the last 5 topics appear on the forums main page. How can i output them on my sites homepage? Does anyone know? i have seen it before.
LukeakaDanish
I suggest you try the phpbbfetchall mod. I've been using it a lot lately, and it is actually very powerful. I'm very certain it will do the exact thing you want!

It does require a little bit of php knowledge and abstraction to use the functions, however once you get the hang of it, you will be displaying topics from forums, polls, user profiles etc. with no problem whatsoever Smile
Marston
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/1020
^ Much more lightweight solution.
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/1020
^ Much more lightweight solution.

That looks quite cool - it all depends on your (ncwdavid) knowledge of php - you could output the posts exactly as you want with fetchall IF your clever with php, or output them the way this script does, if you prefer just copying and pasteing Smile
Marston
Isn't fetchall like a huge script to include though? (I haven't used phpBB in about 6 or 7 months Razz)
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
Isn't fetchall like a huge script to include though? (I haven't used phpBB in about 6 or 7 months Razz)

Not really - its about 100kb files (php functions) which are uploaded to your profile. It may slow down your site *a little* as it has to access the database, but I'm pretty certain any post displaying mod would have to do that? - the php files are never sent to the user, so its not gonna take longer to load a page...

It all depends on what you prefer Smile
ncwdavid
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I suggest you try the phpbbfetchall mod. I've been using it a lot lately, and it is actually very powerful. I'm very certain it will do the exact thing you want!

It does require a little bit of php knowledge and abstraction to use the functions, however once you get the hang of it, you will be displaying topics from forums, polls, user profiles etc. with no problem whatsoever Smile

I downloaded that thing but i hate the way phpbb scripts are written i cant understand any of it really. Do you know which bit of code i have to add to my page to get the latest active topics?
LukeakaDanish
ncwdavid wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:

I downloaded that thing but i hate the way phpbb scripts are written i cant understand any of it really. Do you know which bit of code i have to add to my page to get the latest active topics?

Look in the examples folder for phpbbfetchall. More specifically read the "simple.php" document.

...or you could use Marstons script - as its probably easier if you don't know some basic php and have a certain understanding of how phpbb works.