FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mental Abuse

Cwin1024
Did you know that mental abuse is also a form of real abuse? Did you know that most people who are mentally abused don't even know it? Well, I'm here to say, that this kind of abuse is as bad or worse than physical abuse.

Here are the top 10 signs that you are being mentally abused:
1. You feel like you have to apologize for everything you do
2. You are always having to say where you go, where you've been, and who you've seen.
3. You are told you are ugly, fat, or anything that is undesirable
4. You are losing your self esteem
5. You are afraid to speak your mind
6. You are threatened that if you ever cheat, they will kill you
7. Your partner threatens to commit suicide if you ever leave them
8. You are not allowed to have friends of the opposite sex
9. Your partner refuses to let you see your family and friends
10. You are constantly being accused of cheating

If you notice any of these signs in your relationship, feel free to talk to me. I am a great listener and I have helped many of my friends get out of these kinds of relationships.
Subsonic Sound
Quote:

I've had that one before. NOT fun. In all honesty, I don't think I handled it very well. I've never reacted well to emotional blackmail. But now we're both apart, both still alive, and both very much happier.

I'd mention for the purpose of your list that threatened suicide is just one form of a larger category - emotional blackmail.
KernEnergie
My ex boyfriend used to tell me that I didn't deserve to be with him and that he was very nice to go out with me. I really loved me so I did everything I could to stay with him. But then I realized he wasn't that good so I dumped him. And he was the one who cried, actually.
Sadow
Yeah this is a good thing to bring up, Cwin1024.
I think indeed not many people are aware of the fact that they are being abused mentally. Good work and I hope someone will learn from this topic and will say: "no more abuse, I won't stand it any longer".
biljap
There’s also another kind of abuse I’ve seen so many times in families… When you look at them you would never say there’s something wrong going on. They seem to have a good relationship until suddenly one of them become so nervous and start yelling at everybody around him… saying bad words, accusing you for something you don’t even know about and making you ask yourself “what I did wrong” and “why I had to be born”. They start to think that everybody is against them… And then they just calm down and wonder why are you crying and what’s wrong… They keep on saying they didn’t mean anything wrong?!

The worst thing is that they don’t show that attitude to the grownups who could deal with it, but to the children too…
Sadow
biljap wrote:
There’s also another kind of abuse I’ve seen so many times in families… When you look at them you would never say there’s something wrong going on. They seem to have a good relationship until suddenly one of them become so nervous and start yelling at everybody around him… saying bad words, accusing you for something you don’t even know about and making you ask yourself “what I did wrong” and “why I had to be born”. They start to think that everybody is against them… And then they just calm down and wonder why are you crying and what’s wrong… They keep on saying they didn’t mean anything wrong?!

The worst thing is that they don’t show that attitude to the grownups who could deal with it, but to the children too…

Yes biljap, I agree that mental abuse of children is the worst. They deserve the best, they are so dependant on adults. I think it's really bad this often happens to them. It's awfull.
volotao
For adults I believe the relationship with the mental abuse described in the topic message is something you must end immediately the relationship, if possible. If not, you will need to do something radical, but never accept this.
Quote:
Here are the top 10 signs that you are being mentally abused:
1. You feel like you have to apologize for everything you do
2. You are always having to say where you go, where you've been, and who you've seen.
3. You are told you are ugly, fat, or anything that is undesirable
4. You are losing your self esteem
5. You are afraid to speak your mind
6. You are threatened that if you ever cheat, they will kill you
8. You are not allowed to have friends of the opposite sex
9. Your partner refuses to let you see your family and friends
10. You are constantly being accused of cheating

But this is not a case of police, but the people suffering this kind of abuse can be freed by themselves, just don´t accepting the situation.
molif
how about the stalker kind? those that stalk you after you break up with them?