FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

E-mails together with your domain name (read more)

tom69
My site is hosted with, yes you've guessed it right, FRIHOST! I know that Frihost does NOT give you email's. Well actualy they do but it's NAME@YOURDOMAIN.frihost.net which is (sorry) pretty ugly. No offence but i think everyone will udnerstand what i mean.

So, I have been using .co.nr names now for a pretty long time now, and yesterday i bought a domain name nolifers.com for a good 30 euros, i know it's alot but i can call for whatever whenever and redirect it at any moment, please don't post comments about this.

My question is, can i get NAME@nolifers.com now? I have contacted hostway, my domain name provider and they said that this was something to discuss with my host OR get hosted at hostway, which i don't want Wink FRIHOST for the win.

Yes or No will do if yes explanation is welcome.
Animal
Yes, you can create email addresses with your domain. However, you will need to change the way your domain works.

I assume that your .com domain currently re-directs to your Frihost account. You need to actually host the domain on Frihost. To do so:

Log into Direct Admin and select "Domain Administration". Add a new domain and call it nolifers.com
Next, go to your Domain Registrar's control panel and change the DNS settings - point the nameservers to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net.

You will now be able to create @nolifers.com email addresses within Direct Admin. If you want your site to be the same as it is now, copy (or move) the content of your public_html folder in yourdomain.frih.net to your nolifers.com public_html directory.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.
scotty
Apply for Google's domain tools now and set it up there from the beginning to avoid any hassle later.
tom69
but i only bought the domain names, and redirect them i didn't get email with them.
Animal
tom69 wrote:
but i only bought the domain names, and redirect them i didn't get email with them.

That's ok - when you change the nameservers with your domain registrar to the Frihost nameservers (instead of using a redirect), Frihost takes over all functions - you create your email addresses with Frihost and the email is stored on your account. You also have POP/SMTP access as well as webmail access via http://www.frih.net/squirrelmail (or http://www.your_domain_name.com/squirrelmail)
TeenZine
Animal wrote:
tom69 wrote:

That's ok - when you change the nameservers with your domain registrar to the Frihost nameservers (instead of using a redirect), Frihost takes over all functions - you create your email addresses with Frihost and the email is stored on your account. You also have POP/SMTP access as well as webmail access via http://www.frih.net/squirrelmail (or http://www.your_domain_name.com/squirrelmail)

or if you dont like squirrel mail or get alot of emails (like I do) You can get free email @your domain using Google hosted. www.google.com/hosted

It may take a few days until you get set up but after you do its easy. And they will give you alot of accounts (But remember the more you request the longer it is befor they will accept your ammount and activate your account) And you get the nice features in gmail. And with the extra emails you can give them to your friends who can use it and promote your site.
mikethm
Just a little hijacking as I don't want to start a new thread...

Regarding gmail domain applications, I got everything working except for pop email access. My email application would get error downloading from pop.gmail.com with the username "xxx@mydomain.com". Did I do anything wrong or is google mail just cranky? Oh yes, I did enable POP in gmail settings.
mathiaus
@mikethm; Google uses different ports and securty settings. See their provided guides for how to setup your email client.
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555
mikethm
ah thanks a lot mathiaus! Got it working thanks to you. Google's instruction in the domain panel was missing the port and security setting. Your link was truly helpful as I got quite a number of different emails in different places which would be a bother having to check thru web interface.