FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have Ads!

Can you Down the Ads??
Maka
16888 wrote:
Can you Down the Ads??

Sorry I dont understand can you explain further?.
vizavex
Dude i think you should need further
explain what your meaning ... Wink
tricker
i think he mean he doesnt like the ads in the forum!
zanzan
hmm.... i think he said that.... the ads in the forum is very messy.... you could make it nicer by just putting it on top of the pages.....
Bondings
zanzan wrote:
hmm.... i think he said that.... the ads in the forum is very messy.... you could make it nicer by just putting it on top of the pages.....

The ads on top are messy, I agree. Very Happy The design of Frihost is not really what it should be at the moment. The problem is that putting all those images and text on the top in a nice-looking design, is not really easy, and at the moment I don't have a better idea of how to do it.

And about the ads in the forums. They are there to attract your attention. Do you really think forum posters look at the top of the page when they are posting a message? But if the ads are in between the forums, and certainly if they have a flashy color, the click through rate will be much higher.

The google ads don't take much bandwith and they are very fast. I don't think that they're a real problem for you. They aren't a problem for me and I post a lot at the moment. Very Happy
gonzo
I much prefer the ads in the forum business model.... so long as I get a few remindeds to come post in the forum when I get bored and forget before a sudden deletion of my account
Hogwarts
They should be changed to a better colour. Seriously, it's been suggested numerous times and it just hasn't happened.

The bottom advertisment should be centered, too.

Quote:

The ads on top are messy, I agree. Very Happy The design of Frihost is not really what it should be at the moment. The problem is that putting all those images and text on the top in a nice-looking design, is not really easy, and at the moment I don't have a better idea of how to do it.

And about the ads in the forums. They are there to attract your attention. Do you really think forum posters look at the top of the page when they are posting a message? But if the ads are in between the forums, and certainly if they have a flashy color, the click through rate will be much higher.

The google ads don't take much bandwith and they are very fast. I don't think that they're a real problem for you. They aren't a problem for me and I post a lot at the moment. Very Happy

The problem with them being so flashy is that I'm estimating more then half of frihosters adblock them... even though it's not allowed.

Perhaps people shouldn't be told not to block them, and instead be told to whitelist frihost, because from what I know, around 90% of frihosters use Firefox and probably already have google ads already adblocked.
garionw
Hogwarts wrote:
They should be changed to a better colour. Seriously, it's been suggested numerous times and it just hasn't happened.

The bottom advertisment should be centered, too.

Quote:

The problem with them being so flashy is that I'm estimating more then half of frihosters adblock them... even though it's not allowed.

Perhaps people shouldn't be told not to block them, and instead be told to whitelist frihost, because from what I know, around 90% of frihosters use Firefox and probably already have google ads already adblocked.

Wow, this is a bump from the past! Maybe if you had some down the side in an Fixed position (The CSS would need to be hacked for IE), Because Hogwarts is right.... I reckon half of the users here would have them blocked because of the annoyance.
Manofgames
why dont you get a script that checks if a user is usung FF, and ask them to switch their rendering engine before entering the site, so ads are displayed?
garionw
Manofgames wrote:
why dont you get a script that checks if a user is usung FF, and ask them to switch their rendering engine before entering the site, so ads are displayed?

No, would you like it if you had to stop what you were doing, open another browser and then go back to the site.... Besides, some people might have FireFox blocked, or run behind a proxy
Manofgames
oops :embarressed:
i thought you could switch the rendering engine inside FF.

must have been a mod i got...
garionw
Manofgames wrote:
oops :embarressed:
i thought you could switch the rendering engine inside FF.

must have been a mod i got...

There is one called ietab Which switches to Internet Explorer, but the script only works in Firefox though.

But besides, I don't like my idea anymore Razz
LostOverThere
Yes, I Found the more ads I placed on my site, the less clicks I got.
I have now placed the ads in a more suitable position, and get more clicks.

So the idea is, accidental clicks really don't work in the long run, but ads that are placed nicely, will work. Smile