FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Makes Frihost Tick?

garionw
This isn't really a discussion, more of a question that only bonding can answer.

What Makes Frihost Tick?

The Posts - Rather than have the funny viewtopic.php?topic=20553 like phpBB normally uses, Frihost have separate pages for each topic. So my first question is: "Does Frihost Use mySQL for storing messages, or does each reply open and edit the page?"

The Synchronization - How are you able to keep Frihost in Sync with both Direct Admin and CPanel? was it some clever modifying of both Direct Admin and and CPanel to get this to work, r is it a standed feature?

Private Messages - Do we get unlimited storage of PM's? I noticed that in my inbox (I'm a person who's obsessed with Archiving stuff) I have close to or above 30 messages in my inbox, but it still says I'm using 0%

The Advertising - From memory, Google Adsense doesn't let you use rivals ads on the site, does this include Chitka ads?

I think thats all, if anyone has any other questions you might like to ask, feel free to post them here as well[/b]
ocalhoun
garionw wrote:
This isn't really a discussion, more of a question that only bonding can answer.

What Makes Frihost Tick?

The Posts - Rather than have the funny viewtopic.php?topic=20553 like phpBB normally uses, Frihost have separate pages for each topic. So my first question is: "Does Frihost Use mySQL for storing messages, or does each reply open and edit the page?"
Frihost runs on a modified version of phpbb, which stores posts and responses in a MySQL database. This database also includes all of the user information, your PM's, et cetera.
garionw wrote:

Private Messages - Do we get unlimited storage of PM's? I noticed that in my inbox (I'm a person who's obsessed with Archiving stuff) I have close to or above 30 messages in my inbox, but it still says I'm using 0%
You can store a certain number of them; the forum administrator (bondings) sets this number. I don't know what this number is exactly for frihost, but it is large.
garionw wrote:

The Advertising - From memory, Google Adsense doesn't let you use rivals ads on the site, does this include Chitka ads?
No, they can be used together. Probably because they are so different. (Look at Chitka's website.)
mathiaus
garionw wrote:

This is a fantastic feature of apache called mod_rewrite. The page name you visit isn't the real file name, its like cloaking a domain but with file names. I use this on my site after Bondings's inspiration Smile
No forums run in the way you just mentioned. Its highly inefficient.

garionw wrote:
The Synchronization - How are you able to keep Frihost in Sync with both Direct Admin and CPanel? was it some clever modifying of both Direct Admin and and CPanel to get this to work, r is it a standed feature?

Who said they were? Remember, nothing is as it seems Wink

garionw wrote:

n0obie4life posted about this ages ago. Allegedly, Bondings just increases the limit for everyone when he needs it.
Notice the allegedly!
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
No, they can be used together. Probably because they are so different. (Look at Chitka's website.)[/quote]
To be more precise, Chitika ads are not contextual and don't look like Google ads. That's the reason why Google allows it.

Quote:
Allegedly, Bondings just increases the limit for everyone when he needs it.

The only problem is that the number may only be four characters long. So that's why I put it on 9999 (I'm not completely sure of the 9999, but otherwise it's something similar). Wink
Loghete
Hey, I can't find any Chitika ads.. Do they look so different that you don't notice them at all?

I just see that it loads something from Chitika every time I refresh the site.
ocalhoun
The Chitika ads are the ads with the tabs and the little pictures of merchandise (usually computer hardware). If you can't see them, you probably have an ad blocker running.
Loghete
ocalhoun wrote:
The Chitika ads are the ads with the tabs and the little pictures of merchandise (usually computer hardware). If you can't see them, you probably have an ad blocker running.

Weird.. I don't have any ad blocker (except for pop-up blocker of course) and I can't see them anyway.
Kaisonic
People make FriHost tick! That's who! Just like consumers are closing small businesses, Wal-Mart's not, but that's a completely different topic.
ocalhoun
^Yeah; there are lots of little people moving the data around in the servers. That's why server 2 is having periodic crashes: the little people inside it are all drunk.
cr3ativ3
Hiliarios ocalhoun but ya I agree with Kaisonic people do make frihost tic these welcomed ads are also what keep frihost ticking I asoome they make lots of money from them look at how many people visit frihost everyday. That's probly how frihost pays for the servers.