FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Using (yuk) MS Outlook for email? Tired of the spam?

S3nd K3ys
Are you trying to use filters to keep the spam out?

If so, you're going about it all wrong. There's usually more spam email than real email. So why to filter out what you 'don't want' ??

Think outside the box by filtering in what you 'do want'

Quote:
"I am looking for an addition to Outlook XP that instead of adding a rule that says sender in a specified address book, but it says sender is NOT in specified address book. This would work for me to block or handle spam. "

You can do it one of two ways:

1. Create a rule to do something with all messages from people in the address book, such as move to the Inbox, and add a stop processing. Then add a second rule to process all mail (don't select a condition) and list it last in the Rules wizard. See http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm#sue for more information.
2. Create a rule to process all mail (don't select a condition) and create an exception if it's from someone in the address book.

HTH, and BTW, I like the Blue Frog approach to fighting spam.. Wink
Nirotu
In my opinion, it's always better when your webmail provides the spam filter. So that if you get spam that contains a virus, it wont even touch your HDD. That's one of the reasons why i use gmail. I let gmail handle all my mail, no downlaoding to my HDD at all. And a plus to that, is you can access all your mail from any computer that is connected to the internet. So get a webmail that has a built-in spam filter, and a good one at that.
S3nd K3ys
Nirotu wrote:
In my opinion, it's always better when your webmail provides the spam filter. So that if you get spam that contains a virus, it wont even touch your HDD. That's one of the reasons why i use gmail. I let gmail handle all my mail, no downlaoding to my HDD at all. And a plus to that, is you can access all your mail from any computer that is connected to the internet. So get a webmail that has a built-in spam filter, and a good one at that.

Personally, I use Thunderbird. I have Outlook at work and can't change that. Spam still gets thru the webmail servers, but they try to do a decent job. The method I mentioned above is a good safe-guard, and helps keep things nice and tidy.

I love my gmail accounts, they've got really good algorithms for protecting against spammage.
Ranfaroth
Yes, just use Thunderbird (which version 1.0.6 has been released)

careyd
I just posted this somewhere else in the forums, but here it goes again.

If you have outlook xp, upgrade to outlook 2003. It has pretty decent spam detection built into it. Yes I hate to recommend microsoft products, but it is decent.

The other better option would be to get a program named SpamBayes. It is free, works with outlook if thats what you have, and works with multiple platforms. Its the best personal spam blocker I've seen out there. The best part is its opensource and free. Check it out at http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

-Dave
Alacarde
I just use Thunderbird and Gmail, that way Gmail filters stuff, and then Thunderbird filters it, so I have, in theory, two layers of protection. I am happy to report that I am still spam free. And I don't know about the 2003 version of Outlook Express, I removed whatever version was on my computer completely, as well as Internet Explorer, and I'm not going to load both back on just for Outlook. Smile
careyd
unfortunatly you can't uninstall internet explorer, even though it makes you think so. Go to start -> run and type iexplore , you'll find it comes right up. I found this annoying when I supposidly uninstalled it, and certain programs I had, made direct calls to it, instead of just for the default web browser.

As for email I was talking about outlook, not outlook express which I imagine is in even worse shape. SpamBayes only works with outlook (as a plugin).

But if your using thunderbird, then kudos to you. SpamBayes is also availible in a "mail proxy server" if you will, format. This is so it can be used with none outlook clients. But the last time I was using Thunderbird I seem to remember it having pretty good protection.

I have one friend who has a server and everytime he signs up to something he creates a new email address. For instance brian.bestbuy@hisserver.com. That way he knows who is giving away his information if stuff starts getting sent to that address. I thought it was pretty clever.