FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

very interesting virus

linexpert
hi
my friend was telling me that his computer was infected with a virus that infected all the usb devices he plugged in. He plugged in his ipod and the ipod contained the virus. This didn't do any damage to his ipod but when he connected the ipod to his frieds pc, his friends pc caught the virus. He sent a couple data entries to his samsung cell phone and the phone was also infected.

the virus only does damage to the pc's and no devices such as ipod or cellphone but the cellphone and ipod still carry them and transfer the virus to other pc's

is there such a virus? how do you remove it?
ninjakannon
That's a pretty neat virus. Very cleverly made I must say.

If the virus is detectable with a virus scanner then I would recommend doing the following:
1) Scan all the computers which might have the virus.
2) Make sure the virus is not present on any computer.
3) Scan the iPod with the virus scanner and remove the virus.
4) If the computer now has the virus again, scan and delete again.
5) If you can connect the phone to your computer try to scan that too, I don't know whether this will work.
6) If the computer now has the virus again, scan and delete again.

If it's not detectable by virus scanner then you'll have to manualy get rid of it. Although I don't know how - perhaps someone else can help here.
Just remember that you mustn't use the iPod or phone in any way which will cause them to infect something before you've ridden it from them.

Hope this helps, but it may not. Confused
And I hope you sort this out. No one likes viruses.

PS. How does the virus actually affect the PCs?
ocalhoun
^As a refinement to that, if you are unable to directly scan the devices, empty all the devices' data onto the computer and scan the computer. (Wiping the devices in the meantime, so that you can reload the clean data from the PC)
ninjakannon
ocalhoun wrote:
^As a refinement to that, if you are unable to directly scan the devices, empty all the devices' data onto the computer and scan the computer. (Wiping the devices in the meantime, so that you can reload the clean data from the PC)

Well thought out, I missed that. Although I did try to think of some way to get around a few of the problems. There's another possible problem with the method I suggested, but I can't remember it now - well done me. Confused
sush
That's pretty much how viruses operate, they try to get everywhere they can including removable drives (iPods are removable drives). Maybe they're just hidden .exe files, so you can delete them yourself as long as they're on the removable drive because they wont affect the iPod. As for computers a good anti-virus should definitely detect them and delete them on the fly.

You can get more information on the virus if it is detected by your Anti-virus. Most good AVs have a service where they maintain a database of viruses and how they work and what they infect.
yjwong
Also, try scanning the infected computers with HijackThis. You might be able to find some interesting information about these viruses...