FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Program For Ports?

TruPain
I was wondering if anyone has heard of any program that can sniff your ports to find out if there are any problems with any of them or not.
I have tried going to Whatsmyip.org and those tests say things are working properly...

There is an online game that I play, well, try to sometimes... and it calls for specific ports to be opened.

I am running my computer on a 3 computer home network, and 2 of the 3 computers can connect to the game no problem, but when it comes to the third computer, it will not connect (well, ok, it connected once).

This computer has no problem accessing the internet nor does it have any problem playing any other game online.

Posting this kind of information on the game site resulted in me getting "flammed" for just not knowing how to do anything... funny I thought...

If there are no programs that can do this, does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps I just need a sledge hammer to solve my computer issues?
Traveller
Try Shields up. It checks for reverse DNS, open ports, and other security risks.
S3nd K3ys
2 votes for Shields up.

One word of advice if you're married and/or live with your parents and/or have youngins in the room... don't do a search for

PORT SNIFFER

while someone is watching over your shoulder. Wink
TruPain
Thanks for letting me know about Shields Up!... the site has a lot of good information.

Now quick question, My computer is very secure... majority of my ports are stealthed with the exception of the couple that I have opened for use with some programs... but... The port that uses an online game that I would like to play comes up as being stealthed and I am unable to connect to the game server (this is the only game like that), and I was wondering if there is anything I can do more, to get this port open... Perhaps I have my computer setup too good... I don't know... but out of the 3 computers on the network, this is the newest desktop and I occasionally have a laptop hooked up that is newer than this one... the laptop and the other desktop can connect to the game server with no problems, but this one has the problem... any other suggestions that I might be able to try?

Again, thanks in advance.
{name here}
TruPain wrote:
Thanks for letting me know about Shields Up!... the site has a lot of good information.

Now quick question, My computer is very secure... majority of my ports are stealthed with the exception of the couple that I have opened for use with some programs... but... The port that uses an online game that I would like to play comes up as being stealthed and I am unable to connect to the game server (this is the only game like that), and I was wondering if there is anything I can do more, to get this port open... Perhaps I have my computer setup too good... I don't know... but out of the 3 computers on the network, this is the newest desktop and I occasionally have a laptop hooked up that is newer than this one... the laptop and the other desktop can connect to the game server with no problems, but this one has the problem... any other suggestions that I might be able to try?

Again, thanks in advance.
]
Well, is there a way to choose a different port, perhaps? Or maybe you can lower your firewalls and junk while you play this game. Your last alternative suggested by me is to remove all your firewalls and scanners, then browse the net with Linux while using Windows for your other things with internet services disabled until you play your online game.