FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Boost the speed of your XP!!!

gursimran2006
as XP is worse operating system ever imo and is incredably slow i found this site which shows you tips and help of how to maxamise your computers speed.

http://kadaitcha.cx/performance.html
{name here}
As much as I dislike Andrew K's firefox myth's page, I find that the XP myths page has some goodness to it.
http://xpmyths.com/
Some of those things you shouldn't do to your system.
Srs2388
XP isn't the 'worst ever' i assure you... all you have to do to keep it running smooth is use a good firewall and antivirus and other protection programs running... Smile
But I would still rather use OS X...
good site although most of the things don't help much at all.
Xeniczone
Accually I think you have it the wrong way round. Windows XP is good until you start having firewalls and anti-virus crap put on it, but if you don't have them on it then I guess I could see what your saying. Lets put it this way.

Proformace of Windows XP:

Top:__Windows XP(Offline no firewalls or anti-virus software)
Middle:Windows XP(Anti-Virus software always doing scans of comptuer files and data taking up time that can be noticable at times.)
Bottom:Windows XP(Infected with worm or virus)

Over all. Mac OS X(No anti-virus crap and online) Very Happy sorry that is just my opition.
Freelance GD
Windows XP is not worst operating system. Its cool and have many features. Well, using those tricks I am afraid I corrupt my windows. I used some in past and experienced many problems. You have to modify your registry and that is not safe. Be careful.
dude_xyx
Well XP is not bad but its tend to crash easier than win 2000. main thing is you need lot of RAM power.
kucomp
Take a look at TinyXP: http://digg.com/software/TinyXP_55Mb_WinXP_client

It seems to be a more compact version of WindowsXP, using less space and is faster! Very Happy
cheeta
How about upgreading the Hardware to boost the speed !!!
crcatalyst
windows xp is ok but when you get the spyware going around like the ismini.exe it is just a big waste.
blueray
Windows xp is not bad, if you got a well protected from internet spyware & virus. And also don't installed some unknown software,
then you system will be well over years. This is my opinon. Smile
rooparam
windows has worst security features because it don't even use salts in its SAM hashes but other OSes like linux, Solaries, etc. have...so it is easy to recover password by rainbow tables............and in speed MS tries to boost up but first of all they should boost up their booring employees so they can make some good stuff
tomahawk19
Ok, I didn't go to the site with the "tips". But after reading some of these posts, really the only way to keep your computer 100% safe is to keep it off the net, but adding a good firewall and av (I use ZoneAlarm and AVG Anti-Virus & Spyware personally) are going to help keep it secure. I have found that Windows, being more mainstream with people, has opened opportunities for people to hack with greater ease. Linux has been the most secure system I've run. I use FC5 and Debian right now, I'm trying to get FC6 to test out now too...
lukeropro
crcatalyst wrote:
windows xp is ok but when you get the spyware going around like the ismini.exe it is just a big waste.

ismini.exe is easy to remove. I got ismini, ishost, isnotify, issearch once and I removed all traces of it using antispyware programs and using the simple windows search
tumpat
just don't try to setting your regedit...

edit if you know what is it....
orcaz
I found a rather good guide, not software, to tweak your Windows XP to the optimal. It is a PDF guide called Tweaking Companion, which I think is a very thorough guide on WinXP, describing every single little thing. There are stuff like optimising using reg, security tweaks....
budazz
you can turn off all unnecessary program running to your OS to have improve running OS... if you are using xp
Kitten Kong
I find that the best way for me to speed up my old install of windows xp is to clean out all the useless software that runs on startup. To get a good list go to Start-Run and type in "MSCONFIG" without the bunny scratches and you can use that to stop all those pesky resource grabbers before they turn on.
ssthanapati
Well i tried 2 change 2 other OS many times but i guess i am addicted to XP. Dunno y other OSes dosent just suit me
xyberz
Honestly if you looked at all the versions of Windows ever made, Windows 98 would take the cake. It was probably the most stable version ever made, which unfortunately Microsoft did not decide to evolve on.

Looking the way that Vista is, it looks like it will continue to get worse and worse for computer users everywhere. With all the issues with the RIAA and piracy issues, they're gonna make our future OS turn out like crap.

It's very fortunate that Linux has been picking up steam. I hope that this OS goes where Microsoft only dreams of being in the near future.
mikethm
xyberz wrote:
Honestly if you looked at all the versions of Windows ever made, Windows 98 would take the cake. It was probably the most stable version ever made, which unfortunately Microsoft did not decide to evolve on.

Looking the way that Vista is, it looks like it will continue to get worse and worse for computer users everywhere. With all the issues with the RIAA and piracy issues, they're gonna make our future OS turn out like crap.

It's very fortunate that Linux has been picking up steam. I hope that this OS goes where Microsoft only dreams of being in the near future.

Nah Windows XP is much more stable than Windows 98... After all, I have used Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I suspect you felt Windows 98 is more stable because you used or tried to use some softwares meant for Windows 98 on Windows XP and have some problems?

That said, Windows 98 is really not bad as it is reasonable stable... however I encountered blue screens of death once in a while with Windows 98 when I was on it. But I haven't encountered any blue screen of death in the past year with Windows XP. Thus I feel Windows XP is far superior to Windows 98... not to mention network set up was a pain even with Windows 98 SE.
xyberz
Actually I used Win98 for gaming and the programs that was meant to be most optimally used on that OS. That's why it worked so well.

See I'm comparing the differences of programs written for the specific version of the OS.

I've used older programs on WinXp using an emulator software to emulate the proper speed CPU as they're not all compatible with XP. So that's not the reason to why I based my opinion.
pashmina
thanks for the information. good ones..
it is already making my machines a bit faster.
Drago
I never had a problem with XP........Im now running Vista and this also seems to be running smoothly.